My Arbiter AT - a classic or a white elephant?

Littleg

Hello folks, I've been scraping around on the internet for information on my kit for years and I figure now's a good as time as any to apply to the collective knowledge of the Drummerworld forum...

Here we go, it's an Arbiter Maple kit (not the cheaper MT kit with the plastic lining). As you can see, it's got the AutoTune system. As far as I can tell, it's quite rare - it's certainly the only one I've ever seen! I bought it from a music shop in the UK about 11 years ago.

Drum sizes are:

Snare 14 x 5
Bass 22 x 18
Tom1 10 x 8
Tom2 12 x 10
Floor Tom 14 x 12

Pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13405814@N08/sets/72157629764134761/

The thing is, I love this kit and it's worked wonderfully for me in the bands I've been in ever since getting it, but I've finally made it into a proper rock band and it's not really a rock kit plus...well...I fancy a change. Given that I only have room for one kit in my life, I'm sadly going to have to shift this one on before going for the DW kit I have my eye on.

And here's where you lovely people come in - I know Arbiter have effectively gone out of business and that this is now a very rare kit, but I don't know if that means it's worth two grand or twenty quid! Looking around on FleaBay/Loot/Gumtree has been no help, so I have no idea what I should be asking when I try and sell the old beauty. Any help out there?

I'm guessing that's a no then?

I'm sorry folks - I know it's really poor form to sign up to a website and have your first post be 'Hey everybody, I'm trying to sell something!' but I've been looking everywhere for information on Arbiter and I've run out of options.

Thanks in advance.

g

You've gotta keep them. There are lots of great drums that will run cheaper than a new set of DWs, used as well. You should be able to find another quality set without blowing your budget.

Oh, I know that, but I will admit my head has been turned. I went up to London Drum Co. to have a play around with that DW kit and it sounds immense :)

I'm keeping my options open, though. I just really fancy a change after 10+ years with the same kit and, now I'm in a proper rock band (finally!), I need something with a bit more oomph...

Edit: Looking on eBay International (I didn't even know you could do that!) a snare the same as mine but a size deeper has come up 2nd hand. That's currently sitting at around $250. Hmmmm *adds to Watch list*

They are pretty neat drums, but I can't imagine them being really valuable. I don't think enough people know what they are to really create any big market.

Do you have any pictures of them all set up?

A friend of mine bought a kit like that about ten years ago from Pro Drum in Hollywood. He bought the same configuration without the snare for about $1400 back then. He likes them - he's not a big guy on tuning, so the auto-tune thingy was perfect for him. He still has them and doesn't plan on letting them go.

Definitely not a big market for these as I couldn't find any info on them either. I would ask for half of what you paid to see if anyone bites. Good luck!

Those are new to these eyes...One lug tuning per head? Does it work good?

I would ask as much as I could for them. I'd say market them as rare, play that up, discontinued, one of a kind, you'll stand out, plus there's the ease of tuning, no metal on the shell for uninhibited tone...and you just may fetch a rare price. If you have trouble finding them elsewhere.... that's in your favor. No comparison shopping for prospective buyers, allowing you to name your price.

What it's worth, is what you can sell it for. What people tell you it's worth, and what you might want for it .... nice figures and all, but real world pricing is simply "what will someone, with cash in hand, give you". Personally, I'd never want a kit that "tunes" itself (both heads always the same. Sure, they're a rare item, but the inverse is they're gonna be a hard item to sell.​
Throw 'em up on eBay. Start your auction at $2K .... if you get no offers .... you're asking too much. You might even want to mention you'd be willing to "trade" for a DW kit.​

Harry it appears to me that both heads have a tuning nut, which implies separate tensioning, but these are new to me.. You've seen these before?

I think you are correct Larry. I think there is a hidden conical collar underneath and it may double as the bearing edge too. The outer collar tightens against the inner collar, stretching the head. The shells I believe are maple, and being undrilled and having no hardware bolted to them, I better if you can get a decent tune out of the heads, they probably sing pretty true.

Do you have any pictures of them all set up?

No good ones, I took these tonight at a rehearsal using my crappy phone:

6994491284_7c279feb6d_b.jpg
[

7140582081_5966b3c28b_b.jpg

Also, if you're feeling brave you can have a listen to a video of the band playing a festival last summer.

The tuning is nice and simple (one of the things that attracted me to the kit!), and works on each head separately. It generally works quite well, although it is quite sensitive to how the heads are seated.

Thanks for all the helpful hints, really appreciated!

How do these work? I don't understand. Do you just put the heads on and tighten the bolt and they tune themselves? How? Can you tune them high or low? Sorry for the questions I'm a noob.

I THINK they only work with Remo heads. Gordon Marshall and Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues played the drums for years. They are rare, but not particularly valuable or collectible and sound great.

Harry it appears to me that both heads have a tuning nut, which implies separate tensioning, but these are new to me.. You've seen these before?
The tuning is nice and simple (one of the things that attracted me to the kit!), and works on each head separately.
Well, I have seen 'em before, at NAMM (along with a 1000 other drum kits) so I obviously got Arbiter confused with another drum design. My bad. Now, if I could only figure what kit does tune the batter and reso heads simultaneously ...​
But, the rest of my post stands .... put 'em on the market, and see if anyone bites. That's all you can do.​

Sleishmans?

I THINK they only work with Remo heads. Gordon Marshall and Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues played the drums for years. They are rare, but not particularly valuable or collectible and sound great.

I've seen that said elsewhere, but I don't think I've ever had Remo heads on it and it's always worked fine, as long as you get them on straight and seated properly. Really, there's not much difference in the fact that these drums tension the head by pulling a hoop down over the edge of a shell, it's just the way that they get that hoop to move up or down that is different

For a full explanation of how the hoop/v-clamp system works, a guy has set up a little fan site here.

Thanks for all the help guys - I'm the one that feels like a noob, so I really appreciate your tips and pointers.

I always wanted to try these, such a cool design not to mention how awesome they look. I can't buy them but good luck selling. I think their uniqueness will fetch you some good coin.

Back