Gene Hoglan

i just got the dethklok dethalbum (featuring gene on drums) gotta say great album, so brutal,when i first heard the songs on the show i thought they were ok, but gene really fleshed them out and made them amazing songs! great drummer

anyone who loves genes playing should check out the new zimmers hole album titled"while you were shouting at the devil,we were in league with satan" its basically strapping young lad without devon townsend and a bit more comedy but still amazing drumming.

Gene = piss your pants awesome.

Does anyone know what drum heads and cymbals he uses CURRENTLY?

Oh oh oh, WHAT PEDALS DOES HE USE???

I know he uses emperor x's and eliminators but I don't know about cymbals.

I thought he used old camcos. I think I got that from the modern drummer article on him a few years ago. Do you know if he switched?
As far as cymbals, they're sabian. That old MD article showed his kit with 2 paragon rides, one on each side. I think he switched to power bell rides recently, he mentions them on a video on the sabian site. I don't remember his hats. I think he uses 2 18" aax stage crashes and 2 chinas (18" or 20"), one on each side, but I could be mistaken.

Strapping Young Lad's "Alien" CD is my only Gene Hoglan recording. It actually kind of scary.

I would guess he can nail those parts live. That's even scarier. He's a serious monster and a bada$$.

I've been infatuated with his drumming since I bought the Dethalbum a couple months ago. He is tight, fast and powerful and he plays to the music like an artist and professional.

It took me a while to realize that I saw this guy in concert years ago when he played with Dark Angel. I saw them in LA - I think they were opening for Megadeth, if memory serves correctly. I was up against the stage with a swirling pit behind me and I remember staring at this HUGE dude at the drums. When I saw his picture recently I realized - THAT'S THE DUDE! He's like a bear on crack - with drumsticks.

Gene is a kickass metal drummer.

Does anyone have any news regarding his DVD? I remember him stating in the interview that it was all said and done, they just had to work out distribution.

I am not particularly into death metal like SYL, but this guy is one of my favourite drummers. Instant favourite as soon as I heard some of his playing with SYL. So amazing, both technical and musical.

Gene Hoglan is one of my favorite metal drummers, and ranks in my top 5 of all time. His work on Symbolic gets me everytime. The stuff that he does on the bells is rediculous, but it does end up getting sort of repetitive (sorry friend, that album is still a masterpeice). I heard him play first on some song by SYL and I couldn't believe his power and percision. I would die to see him in clinic (if you are reading this Gene, come to Raleigh, NC)! All in all, this man can deliver and it is even more impressive that he plays with ancle weights. Plus, he kind of mentored Dave Lombardo from what I have read and that gets me every time!

P.S- I can't belive he turned down the right to drum in Nile. That would be wicked!

Hoglan is a beast.

Go back to his drumming on Dark Angel's 1986 "Darkness Descends"...wow, he is in Lombardo terrority there.

And compare Dark Angel's album before that (I think titled We Have Arrived) and compare that to when Hoglan manned the kit. Hoglan turned Dark Angel from a nothing thrash band into a band that could have rivaled Slayer had they kept that momentum.

Dark Angel couldn't keep a lineup together and were not NEAR as good as Slayer live, then again few are.

Cool stuff. Got a video of him with Dark Angel doing Combats Ultimate Revenge II...Death with Chuck Sculdiner (RIP Chuck) was also on that bill. Gene was freaking amazing. And if I ever see him I'll say nothing but good things about him, because he's one big dude. :)

Gene Hoglan: The Atomic Clock

One of the most prolific drummers in all of metal, this guy's played for bands such as:

• Death
  • Dark Angel
  • Slayer
  • Dethklok
  • Strapping Young Lad
  • Testament
  • Fear Factory
  • Old Man's Child
  • Devin Townsend
  • Opeth
  • Unearth

Just to name a few. And he's got him a DVD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGkxNpP8aU

Where's the love for the Atomic Clock?

Re: Gene Hoglan: The Atomic Clock

Thanks for the heads-up! Gene's been an inspiration of mine for many years - since his days in Dark Angel and then Death.

Re: Gene Hoglan: The Atomic Clock

He was fantastic in my eyes, until I saw his clinic. He said that he spent more time playing guitar these days than drums, gave all the metal kids watching a warm up exercise that basically just stretched his fingers and made a whole heap of mistakes playing. I asked him to break down a few fills and he couldn't answer the question at all.

It could have just been an off day, but I nearly walked out on it.

Funny guy though!

Back