The legendary Steve Gadd

i love gadd's set, idk theres just something so simplicitly beautiful about that raven black yamaha

A really good track I heard with Gadd on recently is "Distracted" by Al Jarreau on his album "This Time". Classic Gadd snare patterns and fills. When you hear it, it can be no one else playing.

I've been listening to and watching Steve Gadd on Youtube for quite a while now, and during that time he has become the embodiment of everything I want to achieve as a drummer.

My question is: Can someone please recommend an iconic Gadd album or two for me to buy and listen to over and over and over again?

Steve is a legend...

But why does he look so damn miserable on his vids???

My question is: Can someone please recommend an iconic Gadd album or two for me to buy and listen to over and over and over again?

Chick Corea - The Leprechaun or My Spanish Heart... ('70s jazz-fusion)
Al Jarreau - Breakin' Away... (early '80s R&B-pop)
Eric Clapton - Live at Hyde Park... ('90s rock)
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight... (top-notch smooth jazz)
Steps - Smokin' in the Pit ('70s jazz-fusion)

Going to see Gadd in a few hours he is playing with Eric Clapton needless to say im excited and my aunt just had a baby boy this morning and there naming it stephen which is weird in the best of ways.

Careful. He is also the spitting image and an identical twin to the founder of Drummerworld Bernhard Casteglioni.

Meat the beat isn't talking about physical looks, he's talking about Gadd's pissed off expression on his face. I assume it was all the drugs at the time, as his moments of looking the most miserable was when he was at the pits of his substance dependency. And since he cleaned up circa 1987 he's been much more "normal" looking in his expressions.

For example, watch Grover Washington Jr's 1981 "In Concert"... Gadd smiles I think twice during the entire hour-long set.

Hey guys forgot to post here the concert was amazing my brother was in tears for claptons skill and i was drooling over gadd he was insane i even saw him smile at the end when the were bowing such a classy show

Meat the beat isn't talking about physical looks, he's talking about Gadd's pissed off expression on his face. I assume it was all the drugs at the time, as his moments of looking the most miserable was when he was at the pits of his substance dependency. And since he cleaned up circa 1987 he's been much more "normal" looking in his expressions.

For example, watch Grover Washington Jr's 1981 "In Concert"... Gadd smiles I think twice during the entire hour-long set.

LOL! thats just what I was saying KzSg!!

I've been listening to and watching Steve Gadd on Youtube for quite a while now, and during that time he has become the embodiment of everything I want to achieve as a drummer.

There are some really good suggestions here. I'd add two by Chick Corea:

"The Mad Hatter" (very hard to find - if you do, pay particular attention to "Humpty Dumpty")
"Three Quartets"

Enjoy!

Saw Gadd playing with Eric Clapton the other week in London. Goes without saying he was really tastefull and had a lovely kit sound. Surprised to see him play the whole show with match grip though...

No doubt he´s a groovemaster and has got an almost perfect technique, like all of you said before. on my point of view i´ll try to explain you why everybody loves the way he plays the drums:
he innovated in tha groove area using a lot of PARADIDDLE variations, that´s what i think. Anybody had done that before, it was very original and pretty innovative. of course, that doesn´t mean that he is superman, but he was essential for the development of several kinds of music.

Back