Audio Technica 6 drum mics

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've been looking on E-Bay at drum mics. Do any of you know anything about Audio Technica mics? I don't have any mics at all. I've heard the CAD's are ok for toms but that's about it. So I've been looking at used mics, to keep the price down. I've heard to stay away from Samson, and Nady also. Digital Reference is another cheapy that I've not heard much about. Any input is appreciated.

Up front, a microphone kit is designed to get you the most bang for your buck. It's not going to be phenomenal and not terrible. A high end microphone setup is generally going to be a mix of different models and maufacturers.

Audio Technica makes a decent microphone. I've used their mics in the past and they are perfectly fine...they do make some very high end mics as well.

I've mentioned the CAD mics before in replies...they're very good on toms, the 'snare' mic in their pack is really another 'tom' mic with some additionaly foam in it.

Samson is really hit or miss on their mics. Same model, one is great, next one is flat.

I have not tried the Nady or Digial Referenece. I've read some very positive reviews on the Nady mics kits. I believe Digital Reference is a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend store brand.

---my mic setup: Sennheiser e602 on bass drum; Sennheiser e604 on toms, Shure SM57 on top and bottom of snare, Shure PG81 x2 overheads. Sometimes I'll add a Shure SM58 to the front of the bass drum as well. One day I'll spring for the Shure SM81s, but I'm not at the point where the PG81s are failing to get the job done and they sound quite good to me.

simmsdn, or anyone else with experience--

USUALLY the house mic's the kits, but, I ran into a situation where I had to use my 2 SM57's and D112 bass mic for a show. I was "supposed to" bring mic's to do my whole kit (I wasn't told) but, luckily, I always carry those mic's.

Fortunately, the sound guy likes our band, and he brought out his own mic's for the rest of the kit.

I have had good results with 57's on the floor toms, but do you think the Sennheiser e604 is better for that?
I really only need 3 more mic's do do my whole kit (and that Senheiser e604 comes in a 3 pack) but with the left side floor tom I ALWAYS use, I 'd like the mics to match.
They are around the same price +- new, haven't checked used prices yet.

Would I just be better off just getting 3 more SM57's?

I regularly use a 57 on my 16" left side ft and have been happy with the results. I just wonder about that 18" floor tom, but in the (distant) past, it always seemed to sound "right" when a 57 was used.

I don't know a ton about mics, so thought I'd ask, and maybe it could help lefty2 with his situation also.

I really like the e604s. They're small and come with their own rim clip that takes a beating. It's fairly similar to an SM57. In fact, there are SM57 mods around that makes the SM57 about the same size as an e604 for just this purpose (an example mod here: http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9999-08831&Click=12638).

You'd be fine with either mic, and after coming up with a mounting solution for the SM57s, they'd run about the same price as the e604s. The nice thing about an SM57 is that it is literally good for everything...guitar cabs, drums, horns, percussions, piano, vocals. It will come down to personal preference and in a live setting, I don't think you're going to notice a discernable difference. I think you'll appreciate having the e604s because they're unobtrusive and very easy to set up on your drums. I have used an e604 on a snare and it works well, but I prefer the SM57s on the snare (I run one top and bottom).

My toms are 13/16/18 (6-ply maple Ludwigs) and I have an e604 on each. I bought the e604 3-pack (used a coupon at GC and got them for right around $300). I don't have issues with the large floor toms, the frequency response is there where I need it.

Thanks for the replys. I use to rent 421's in the 80's. Loved them. I had Ludwig SL series, 4 ply poplar. With those mics, the drums sounded monsterus. I may end up with 57's. I've used them alot, and they are very versatile and rugged. I just don't like the size of them, now that there are all of these smaller mics available.

A friend of mine has a Digital Reference kit and it sounds great, well all except maybe the kick mic but that's how it is with most all kits.

Back