Review:Sound Percussion Heavy Duty Saddle style Throne

blastbeatkeeper

Hello, everyone. Long time. I just received my new throne the other day via Amazon/Musicians Friend. I picked up the SP heavy duty saddle style throne, and now, here is my review.

First off, yes its an SP product. So what? I know all the gear snobs on here will pick it apart and dismiss it as soon as they see SP. This review is going to change your minds...

Ill start like this...Im 6'2" tall and a shade over 400 lbs. Yes, I am a big boy. I have been looking for a decent throne since my trusty Pearl heavy duty throne started to break down. Not going to complain, Ive had the Pearl for close to 10 years now, and it definitely paid for itself.
First thing I noticed, is that its a decently weighted throne, even still in the box. Once opened, it came in two parts; the saddle seat, and the base. Some assembly required, no biggie. The base itself weighs about 15 lbs, and is very stable. The seat post is a threaded, worm gear style post, which requires tightening the seat, give it a spin counter clockwise to raise, clockwise to lower. Very nice for "on the fly" adjustments. Whats also nice is there is a separate memory clamp for the seat post. Once you set your height, move the clamp, tighten, and your good to go.
The seat has leather back and sides, and a cloth/faux suede top, which for me, makes a huge difference(big guy=big guy sweat). It has more than enough padding for me, so my arse isnt falling asleep within an hour of drumming. Nice, easy to reach clamp underneath makes it easy to break down into 2 pieces for transport, or to move around the kit, if you like your seat loose for maneuverability.
Lastly, just by putting it together and adjusting it, you can feel that this throne will earn its paycheck.. It just feels like a solid, decently built, heavy duty throne. Granted, its not a $199 Roc-n-Soc nitro, but for $79.99, I would buy another without thinking twice. I hope this review did some good, and Im sorry for it being so long.

Ok, I had a 3 hour jam session the other night, and all I can say is WOW. I wish I had spent the money on this throne before. Its nice and sturdy under my bum...makes me feel like I belong there. Its even helped with my double bass technique as well, now that Im not trying to balance myself with my feet while similtaniously(didn 't help with my spelling, though) playing. I can balance myself on this throne, and just worry about playing. The cushion would be its only downfall, as its not a plush as say a Rocn Soc, but for a budget throne, this is definitely the way to go. It has the backrest bracket built right in to the mounting bracket for the seat, and a threaded memory clamp to tighten, remove the seat for quick tear down, and not have to worry about resetting every time you set up and tear down. All in all, Im very satisfied I bought this throne. I definitely suggest it to anyone who needs a throne. Im actually saving a little bit of money so I can buy one to keep at work. Already got the approval from the boss hehehe. Hope this contributed to anything at all. See you all later.

28.5 stones is a big guy.

How wide it the seat on that SP throne, 15"... and is it 3 or 4 leg base?

The base is heavy!

Ok, I had a 3 hour jam session the other night, and all I can say is WOW. I wish I had spent the money on this throne before. Its nice and sturdy under my bum...makes me feel like I belong there. Its even helped with my double bass technique as well, now that Im not trying to balance myself with my feet while similtaniously(didn 't help with my spelling, though) playing. I can balance myself on this throne, and just worry about playing. The cushion would be its only downfall, as its not a plush as say a Rocn Soc, but for a budget throne, this is definitely the way to go. It has the backrest bracket built right in to the mounting bracket for the seat, and a threaded memory clamp to tighten, remove the seat for quick tear down, and not have to worry about resetting every time you set up and tear down. All in all, Im very satisfied I bought this throne. I definitely suggest it to anyone who needs a throne. Im actually saving a little bit of money so I can buy one to keep at work. Already got the approval from the boss hehehe. Hope this contributed to anything at all. See you all later.
i completely agree with your assessment. i have one of these, and i can't believe i waiting so long to get one. your review is spot on.

28.5 stones is a big guy.

How wide it the seat on that SP throne, 15"... and is it 3 or 4 leg base?

The base is heavy!

Yea, I surprise a lot of people when they see me as opposed to hear me. No matter how many times I hear it, I still like the sound of...wow. I never knew a big dude like you could move that fast.....
Anyways, The base is a 3 leg design, and the legs are arched, so it gives it even more stability as opposed to striaght legs. And what I like, is that the legs fold up and in from the bottom, and opposed to up and out, so one less memory clamp to worry about, and whether or not the base will be set at the correct height.

Les, I havent been back to my room yet, but when I do, Ill get a measurement for you. All I know is it is a heck of a lot better than that 13" round Pearl throne Ive been using for the better part of 10 years.

I actually have one of these and completely agree with you, but it has become a work seat at my uncle's workplace because I discovered the Tama 1st Chair which is even more comfy for about $50 more (not sure what the exchange rate is in pounds).

I sat on a 1st chair in a music store and it was suffering from the wobbly cushion as both of my threaded thrones have. I thought being a gas lift throne would have solved that problem. God it's annoying. If there is a throne that doesn't do this I will buy it.

Back