New-fangled
Tapping
Implement

Very
Important
Beats
Eradicates

OK a bit of a stretch

It's kind of like the cleaning ladies; the best ones seem to be the least likely to steal.

I SWEAR TO GOD, the cleaning ladies stole my Pearl Export's ISS tom mount. My friend down the street has the same cleaning ladies as me, and he got his mount taken too. Of course, our parents don't believe us.

Hey 805, It's not the drum companies that are out to get you, it's ' THE CLEANING LADIES '. Apparently they are stealing musical instruments where ever they clean. With the grand plan of forming a band and taking over the world. I can't wait to see them when they are on tour.

It's kind of like the cleaning ladies; the best ones seem to be the least likely to steal.

I SWEAR TO GOD, the cleaning ladies stole my Pearl Export's ISS tom mount. My friend down the street has the same cleaning ladies as me, and he got his mount taken too. Of course, our parents don't believe us.

Our cleaning lady is great. She even dusts off my drums, and picks up sticks from the floor and places them on my low tom. She dusts off the piano and leaves all my sheet music alone. She wouldn't dare touch anything on my desk.
She even cleans out the refrigerator. She can't speak a word of English, at least she doesn't with me, but she's a member of the family.
She calls my wife by her first name, but insists on calling me "Senior." Drives me crazy when she does that.
There's always a little money laying around, bills of different denominations, and she folds them together and places them next to the telephone. Her name is Alma.

I used these sticks for a while, they felt alright but then I noticed I could hear secret frequencies through them and it turns out it was the CIA listening in on my thoughts. I told the feds but they sent me to Guantanamo in a black helicopter.

I'd recommend avoiding them at all costs.

As a side note, I'd imagine that the Anti-vibe would make ride cymbals sound fairly lifeless. The stick's material, shape and its vibrations play a huge role in the tone of a ride cymbal's attack.

Our cleaning lady is great. She even dusts off my drums, and picks up sticks from the floor and places them on my low tom. She dusts off the piano and leaves all my sheet music alone. She wouldn't dare touch anything on my desk.
She even cleans out the refrigerator. She can't speak a word of English, at least she doesn't with me, but she's a member of the family.
She calls my wife by her first name, but insists on calling me "Senior." Drives me crazy when she does that.
There's always a little money laying around, bills of different denominations, and she folds them together and places them next to the telephone. Her name is Alma.

Okay, you're cleaning lady sounds awesome. And it's totally funny how she calls you Senor.

The stick's material, shape and its vibrations play a huge role in the tone of a ride cymbal's attack.

I just misread that and got a picture in my head of a stick playing a huge hole in the ride cymbal.

Alright, so I just kind of had an epiphany.

You know how Zildjian has those Anti-Vibe sticks?

Well, I had heard good things about them, and I started using them last month. Great, right?

Wrong.

Turns out, they work too well. Whenever I pick up normal sticks, they feel two solid, and very bouncy and rigid. It also causes my hands to feel all of the drum's vibrations, which are very uncomfortable.

Is this just a very clever marketing ploy? Because of this switch to the Anti-Vibe drumsticks, unless I somehow adjust myself back to normal sticks, I will have to buy these for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts on this? Is this something Zildjian's marketing department brewed up to get guaranteed permanent customers? Or is it all in my head?

There is only one proper answer to stick vibration problems - looser grip. The stick should vibrate freely in your hand. If you don't choke it, it won't bother you.

I'd say those anti-vibe sticks are very bad for technique.

As a side note, I'd imagine that the Anti-vibe would make ride cymbals sound fairly lifeless. The stick's material, shape and its vibrations play a huge role in the tone of a ride cymbal's attack.

All kidding aside, I did use them when I first started playing a couple years ago and I noticed the same thing. I also didn't like the "disconnected" feeling you get while playing with them...some vibration is a good thing.

I also hated that the little rubber butt gets caught on clothes and other things...and almost always falls out of the stick after a while.

Zildjian sticks are generally pretty crappy, IMO.

All kidding aside, I did use them when I first started playing a couple years ago and I noticed the same thing. I also didn't like the "disconnected" feeling you get while playing with them...some vibration is a good thing.

I also hated that the little rubber butt gets caught on clothes and other things...and almost always falls out of the stick after a while.

Zildjian sticks are generally pretty crappy, IMO.

They remind me of Ahead sticks for some reason.

There is only one proper answer to stick vibration problems - looser grip. The stick should vibrate freely in your hand. If you don't choke it, it won't bother you.

I'd say those anti-vibe sticks are very bad for technique.

I'd say their bad technique for full-shock "normal" sticks. Given the incredible variations in biomechanics, I'd say the only bad technique is the one that injures you.

I play Aheads and I love them because they reduce shock greatly. I'd compare them to earphones for the hands, protecting you from some of the harsher aspects of playing drums. I've played the Zildjian sticks before and I credit the anti-shock feature with saving me from possible injury. The anti-shock sticks take some getting used to but now if I play full-shock sticks the vibration feels insane.

Am I unusually sensitive now, or just able to appreciate the abuse I was really putting my hands through?

Am I unusually sensitive now, or just able to appreciate the abuse I was really putting my hands through?

You could also argue that vibration makes you more sensitive to your grip and technique. I tend to use sticks that feel more dense and vibrate minimally - like the Akira Jimbos you played over at my place.

When I'm playing a ride pattern, for example - I'm more sensitive to how I'm holding the stick and how loose I am if I can feel the cymbals "through" the stick. The anti-vibes sort of "disconnect" you from that sensitivity.

You get used to conditions you put your body through over time. For example. If I put my ride somewhere else for 5 months and played like that everyday, eventually it would just be normal. I highly doubt Zildjian is trying to scam you, though they scam kids everyday with those black things.

You could also argue that vibration makes you more sensitive to your grip and technique. I tend to use sticks that feel more dense and vibrate minimally - like the Akira Jimbos you played over at my place.

When I'm playing a ride pattern, for example - I'm more sensitive to how I'm holding the stick and how loose I am if I can feel the cymbals "through" the stick. The anti-vibes sort of "disconnect" you from that sensitivity.

I felt that way at first, like the vibration was dampened. But then I started paying more attention to what I was feeling, even if it was less; we are capable of feeling and interpreting very small vibrations, much less than what you get on a drum set, and we get used to whatever we happen to be playing with.

Lower-vibration sticks took a bit of adjustment but the real payoff is less vibration being transmitted into my hands.

I have those sticks. Don't find transition between those and regular ones hard. I actually just played with two styles, I only noticed a major difference when I griped tightly.

Maybe I have magic hands, or maybe I've been brainwashed.

Back