Joey Jordison

Joey is anyway like The Band itself, he's writing more than 60% of the Slipknot scores, not to mention that the band was actually formed and started by him. Everything in Slipknot is JJ labeled, even the logo. I think that without him, Slipknot would be finished. Tell me if I'm wrong.

joeys solos impress me, but i think there are drummers out there who do the same sort of thing but, in my opinion, better, i guess thats why he's so controversial. for example, dan foorde from Sikth. I much preferred his drumming on the first and second albums. i think the amazing sound his drums have add to the equation alot too.

slipknot isnt very technical or musical.

a lot of joey jordison's talent is in speed and really quick fills. however, as i said before slipknot itself isnt that musical, so we havent gotten much of a chance to hear what hes really capable of doing.

keep in mind that he also plays guitar in a mainstream metal band as well... that shows that he definitely has potential for talent.

by the way.... im a teenager, and finnighan has "bashed" me. but i dont really consider it that. as ive said before, he makes all his opinions based on a lot of facts. he really knows his stuff, and he doesnt just "bash" people for the fun of it.

Irobotwillneverdie said:
joeys solos impress me, but i think there are drummers out there who do the same sort of thing but, in my opinion, better, i guess thats why he's so controversial. for example, dan foorde from Sikth. I much preferred his drumming on the first and second albums. i think the amazing sound his drums have add to the equation alot too.

Dan Foord kicks ass, although i didn't like the production of sikths album, on early ep's though the drums are fantastic. He plays really interesting drum patterns and is pretty fast, but mainly he's good cos he's interesting.

tymile said:
by the way.... im a teenager, and finnighan has "bashed" me. but i dont really consider it that. as ive said before, he makes all his opinions based on a lot of facts. he really knows his stuff, and he doesnt just "bash" people for the fun of it.
exactly. i think jordison is capable of a lot more than he does, but he doesn't do it, so it's that classic debate of wether a drummer is defined by what he/she can do, or what he/she does. i have actually been swayed by this thread. i now don't think he is that great. he is fast, and he plays for his fans which i guess is the important thing, but he doesn't seem to have much groove to his playing.

The thing is what is involved in being a great drummer? What seperates jordison, Peart, Gadd, Bonham etc. How can you compare these people when they play different styles of music. Jazz is Jazz and Metal is Metal etc. Just appreciate who these people are and what they have done for themselves, the music industry and other people and for gods sake use your brain before leaving comments, swaer some of you huys are like 5 years old or something. if you have come here to cause a mass argument ask yourself why. Look at the other posts on this forum you will see who people are calling the best drummer. its an oppinion thats all. In my opinion there is no such thing as the best drummer...its impossible to judge and there will always be someone who disagrees with the result. there are many non techinical drummers out there but does that mean they are not impressive? After all the fact is what is a drummer there for??

Bttl said:
The thing is what is involved in being a great drummer? What seperates jordison, Peart, Gadd, Bonham etc. How can you compare these people when they play different styles of music. Jazz is Jazz and Metal is Metal etc.

I have to agree 100% with this comment. Have any of you Joey criticisers ever taken in mind how young the guy still is? Drummers like Steve Gadd, of course they are brilliant drummers but then look at how old they all are. I think with joeys ability so far he could learn much more in his forthcoming years especially now hes maturing up. Several people were saying that Joey cannot play drums like Buddy Rich but can they play drums like him or can Buddy Rich play drums like Joey? Whats important is that they are the top of their kind of music, they play the music they like and they are all very good at it. I think it would be near impossible to get a drummer who can master every style of drumming. Exept maybe Paragon Of Time

I personally don't care how old someone is. If they are good they are good and can only get better. If they aren't very good, then they shouldn't be famous yet. Unfortunately, there are a lot of not very good drummers that are famous for all the wrong reasons.

Either you can play or not, then the rest is just a matter of taste, age and maturity as a player. The only thing that Jordison's age has to do with this conversation is:

Sure he can play, but his age leaves him open to criticisms of maturity and taste in his playing.

Don't kill me, I'm just trying to articulate what others have said already in this thread!

Personally Stu, I have to say I agree with some of what you are saying and I disagree with other things. I dont want to criticise you or anything I mean of course you have your own opinion. That what you said abut the age thing, I think it does matter how old somebody is. Joey is now what? 31 years old as far as i know. Steve Gadd is maybe in his mid 60's?
It has taken Steve Gadd until now to master his techniques. Sure he has been an incredible drummer for many years now but not as good as he is now. If we gave Jordison a chance to reach a mature age in which he might develop a interest for jazz, blues etc. so lets say when he is 50 and then start comparing him to the hardout session drummers. What you said about either someone can play or they cannot play seems like a fair comment to me. Joey can play drums very good and I do not think that we need to give him such a hard time about that he focusses mainly on heavy metal drumming.

kris_nz15 said:
Personally Stu, I have to say I agree with some of what you are saying and I disagree with other things. I dont want to criticise you or anything I mean of course you have your own opinion. That what you said abut the age thing, I think it does matter how old somebody is. Joey is now what? 31 years old as far as i know. Steve Gadd is maybe in his mid 60's?
It has taken Steve Gadd until now to master his techniques. Sure he has been an incredible drummer for many years now but not as good as he is now. If we gave Jordison a chance to reach a mature age in which he might develop a interest for jazz, blues etc. so lets say when he is 50 and then start comparing him to the hardout session drummers. What you said about either someone can play or they cannot play seems like a fair comment to me. Joey can play drums very good and I do not think that we need to give him such a hard time about that he focusses mainly on heavy metal drumming.

The accumulated experiences that come with age most often breed artistic maturity. In the case of percussionists, said attributes can manifest as long as practioners remain in respectable physical condition. Jazz demonstrates this principle on a regular basis. Buddy Rich's peak years were his late forties and early fifties...same with Bellson. Krupa didn't fully mature until he had his own band. By that time he was pushing 40. Although Max Roach was a phenom with Miles Davis and Clifford Brown, he really didn't become entirely seasoned until he was well in his 40s. Old timer Dave Tough was totally reborn with Woody Herman at age 44. This was probably even more the case with Blakey.

There are of course rare instances of the opposite occuring, with Tony Willims among the most prominent...although he was quite remarkable up until his premature demise.

as far as bein the best drummer in the world he obviously isnt, but i think that no-matter who u are theres always gonna be someone better than u, even if its one way or another...as for his style, being tastefull or musical...whos to say it isnt? wether somethin is musical or not is all up to your own tastes, kinda like some things are really funny to some people but not at all to others.

personaly i dont think it matters if your a teenager and can play his stuff, so am i and i can play a good deal of it too. how long have u been playin? i heared that he got his first set when he was in 6th grade. i guess that doesnt really matter but i have to still give him props for puttin on great shows and jus doin his thing despite what some people think.

anyways my opinion, peace

Last edited by a moderator:
jdm_drummer said:
...as for his style, being tastefull or musical...whos to say it isnt? wether somethin is musical or not is all up to your own tastes, kinda like some things are really funny to some people but not at all to others.
We have to draw a line sometime to define musicallity, and I dont think Joey Jordison can fall into that category.

brittc89 said:
We have to draw a line sometime to define musicallity, and I dont think Joey Jordison can fall into that category.

musicallity in what manner? Musicallity in metal, yes. Musicallity in jazz or blues, no. Jordison is a great metal drummer. period.

TonKpilS_657 said:
musicallity in what manner? Musicallity in metal, yes. Musicallity in jazz or blues, no. Jordison is a great metal drummer. period.
i think you're right. joey jordison plays metal in what i woulod consider a musical way, but it's difficult because death metal is so rythm based, with so little melody most of the time. so yes, jordison makes his drumming as musical as it can be for slipknot.

I've just watched that video clip on the drummerworld home page and I have to say it was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.
I am sure the guy is very talented at playing fast, but I am afraid I just don't get the band, and never have.

I loved punk in the 70's but death metal leaves me cold, it doesn't seem to have the passion that punk had, it just seem one dimensional.

I am totally prepared to except I maybe wrong as I just don't know enough about it but to be honest I don't think I will bother investigating, give me a groove anyday, be it , Rock, Pop, Punk, Country and Western, Jazz, Blues, Dance, Folk whatever but death metal just leaves me wondering if I am just getting old...

kris_nz15 said:
That what you said abut the age thing, I think it does matter how old somebody is. Joey is now what? 31 years old as far as i know. Steve Gadd is maybe in his mid 60's?
It has taken Steve Gadd until now to master his techniques. Sure he has been an incredible drummer for many years now but not as good as he is now. If we gave Jordison a chance to reach a mature age in which he might develop a interest for jazz, blues etc. so lets say when he is 50 and then start comparing him to the hardout session drummers.

Fair enough, but Steve Gadd had probably played on more albums by age 31 than Jordison will play on in his whole life. Gadd had also played so many more styles by that age too. Jordison, I'm afraid, is destined to niche metal bands. I don't blame him, though, he's probably made more money than I will in my entire life, and most likely having a lot of fun doing it.

Colin said:
Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.

Great at drumming in a band, soloing may not be the best idea for this overachiever!

i find slipknot painful to listen to, dont like screaming at all.

all iv ever seen of joey jordison was on dummerworld and i found his solo boring, just fast rolls and double bass, but then again he was spinning around and going upsidedown.

dont get me wrong though, i appreciate that he is an amazing drummer.

Colin said:
Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.

K man i dont know how good you are at drums, but if you think that joey isnt that special then i dont know what your thinking. He is stunning! Dont just watch a solo, listen to the way the drums are played in slipknots songs. Its unreal! Also if you havnt listened to LIVE 9.0 then check out the drum solo on that. If you still arent impressed, i dont no wat will.

I cant believe that people on this post are saying that Joey is a horrible drummer. Im just stunned and i cant figure out whether its people who dislike slipknot being bias or if it is serious. I dont care if you dont like slipknot and i can totally understand that, but for people to say that Joey isnt a good drummer is just a complete joke. Listen to any of the drumming in their songs carefully and it is completly amazing. For the others that say he only does drum rolls and is a crowd pleaser, what do you expect? For his style of music it is what sounds best, so why would he put in a jazz beat into a song that is completely over the top with vocals and hardcore guitar. If you dont like slipknot that is fine, but ignorent assumptions about the way Joey plays is just stupid because he plays the way he should.

Back