Deleted

man, where's that girl live?? :p..mine was a Ludwig 5 piece..i dont have a picture of mine, but here is the stock photo.http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p31752b.jpg. the sizes were 22" by 16" bass. 16" by 16" floor tom. 11" by 13" mounted tom. 10" by 12". and it came with a 14" by 6.5" snare...but i bought a used Sig. Chad Smith. so, i had a good snare for a beginner...and i had the same B8's i have now...ha

I found a picture (kinda). It is a two (?) year old picture of my old band playing live.

TOJ.jpg

im not putting down ludwig. i ive never heard them other than bonhams.. i think mostly ive heard tamas and pearls.. haha but kits have come along way... i just think its funny how companys can make kits so horribly and yet sell them and people buy them

Well when you're a beginner, and especially if you're the parent of a beginner and you don't play yourself, you don't know any better. My parents were more concerned about whether or not I was going to be able to play, let alone keep up the interest. If they had known that 14 years later I'd still be at it, they probably would have sprung for a better set. I got the Ludwig two years after the Sunlite so if they had done that it would have saved them money *lol* I played the Ludwig for about 3 or 4 years until I got a job and could afford to buy myself a new set. I then got a Tama Rockstar Custom and some Sabian AAX's.

Well when you're a beginner, and especially if you're the parent of a beginner and you don't play yourself, you don't know any better. My parents were more concerned about whether or not I was going to be able to play, let alone keep up the interest. If they had known that 14 years later I'd still be at it, they probably would have sprung for a better set. I got the Ludwig two years after the Sunlite so if they had done that it would have saved them money *lol* I played the Ludwig for about 3 or 4 years until I got a job and could afford to buy myself a new set. I then got a Tama Rockstar Custom and some Sabian AAX's.

true.. i you have a point.. my friend still has his starter kit and it sounds horrible for his drumming but i mean money doesnt grow on trees.. i had to save for a year to upgrade to my stagestar

..mine was a Ludwig 5 piece..i dont have a picture of mine, but here is the stock photo.http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p31752b.jpg. the sizes were 22" by 16" bass. 16" by 16" floor tom. 11" by 13" mounted tom. 10" by 12". and it came with a 14" by 6.5" snare...

That would be my first kit and the kit I still have now, a Ludwig Accent Drum series. Specs as quoted (16x22, 16x16, 11x13, 10x12, 6.5x14). Sometimes I see guys with 6 piece DWs or SQ2s and I feel a little green but these tubs have served me well. Besides someday I'll save up and buy a DW. Someday...

And here are the pics, none of when I first got them, unfortunately.

(I don't use the stock snare, I use a Tama steel Soprano Snare)

IMG_0025.jpg

l_551c09cd4405f903ba5da300081a269a.jpg

l_5f8cf5feb80a4ac3a59068b188aab8b2.jpg

man you got some nice cymbals for a starter!

That would be my first kit and the kit I still have now, a Ludwig Accent Drum series. Specs as quoted (16x22, 16x16, 11x13, 10x12, 6.5x14). Sometimes I see guys with 6 piece DWs or SQ2s and I feel a little green but these tubs have served me well. Besides someday I'll save up and buy a DW. Someday...

And here are the pics, none of when I first got them, unfortunately.

(I don't use the stock snare, I use a Tama steel Soprano Snare)

IMG_0025.jpg

l_551c09cd4405f903ba5da300081a269a.jpg

l_5f8cf5feb80a4ac3a59068b188aab8b2.jpg

Alex

I have pics of my kit somewhere. I'll have to look.

It was a CP (cosmic percussion) made by LP (latin percussion). Standard rock sizes. It was black so I HAD to have all black heads. So I got the remo black heads and a black aquarian coated head. Bass drum head was a pinstripe with a pillow inside and the remo flame head on the reso. Cmbals were a b8 rock pack and a wuhan china.

I found a tape recording I made of myself and it was horrible. It was from the first day I had my kit. It made me laugh so hard. Crazy to think of how bad I was at first. I guess practice really does pay off. That was 11 years ago though. Time flies.

I see those marching sticks in your stick bag. Although, who hasn't tried it at least once when they were starting out?

Well, actually, I don't ever use them on the drumset, I just keep them there. And I don't mean to come off mean or anything but I'm not really a starter, this is just my first kit. I've been playing for 2 years, 3 years before that without a drumset.

man you got some nice cymbals for a starter!

Well, I've collected them over two years... First the B8s, then the ride, and eventually everything else. The 18" AAXplosion is the latest addition.

This is my first kit i bought myself- I goofed around on my aunt's kit for a couple years before that.
Tama Swingstar 10x12,11x13, 16x16 toms; 16x22 kick; 5.5x14 snare. zildjian cymbals (remember the ZBTs haha), including some zils my dad got when he was in the navy in like 68- they were all 14" hats that i used as crashes. yeah i broke em all, but i'll hook him up when day, if i'm lucky enough to get an endorsement deal or somethin :D

Attachments

• pic9.gif
    pic9.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,784
  • pic17.gif
    pic17.gif
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,670
You broke the 60's Zildjians?

You're a bad man... a bad, bad man...

...by the time I got into this internet thing, I had already owned two drumkits that I considered as "mine".

I have pics of them in their various evolutionary states, but it would take an archeological expedition to dig those photos out of their hiding places. This I promise to do one day, as the kits also my show my evolution as a drum/hardware repair man/tinkerer.

Here is a link to a webshots page that has some of the kits that I bought, scavenged, fixed up, built, and eventually sold or traded for some of what I now have.

It scares me to think of how much stuff I have gone through over my relativly short stretch as a drummer. It scares me even more to know that I can account for where most of this stuff came from, and where it ended up.

As a drummer, I am the first to admit that I am no screaming hell. As I have said before though, playing is only a part of the enjoyment that I get from drums. I love the hunt. I love finding some piece of somebody elses junk, and seeing the potential in it. I love the challenge of solving drum problems. For all of my posts, I do not think that I have ever posted any of my playing, or tips on techniques. I leave that for the real drummers. Gear is all I really know anything about, and even at that, my knowledge is limited.

Thank you for allowing me this indulgence.

barry

i99649744_58335_4.jpg

Thats the only picture i have.

its was a no name bass drum with no reso head,
a set of 6-8-10 rototoms,
an out of round damaged bearing edge pearl metal snare that did not have lugs, it had jammed screws in it to hold the head,
a tama king beat bass pedal,
13" Orion twister hihats,
16" Sabian b8 crash, that i used as a crash and a ride
and new york percussion stands.

I had this kit for 5 years before getting the kit I have now.
Oh and it took about a year before i receive the bass drum for my birthday. I had a cardboard box with a piece of wood taped to it to attach the pedal :)

I still was really happy with it

Roger WMP from Dayton: purchased early '73 from Roy Harte's Drum City, Hollywood, CA

5 x 14 maple Dynasonic snare
8 x 12 tt
9 x 13 tt
16 x 16 ft
14 x 20 bass

all Rogers Swivomatic hardware and Avedis Zildjian cymbals.

22" ride
18" crash
16" crash
12" splash
14" rock hihats

Attachments

• complete kit from the rear.jpg
    complete kit from the rear.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,765
Don't have any pics of my first kit, an off-brand cheapo kit called Lotus. The poplar shells were so thin i couldn't tell if there was a discernable bearing edge!! It had some cheesey silver pvp wrap that warped and bubbled after 2 years and the mounts were off an omniball with pot metal arms literally the size of pencils. At the time i was 8 years old though and i didn't care. We were always broke growing up and this is the only present my parents ever bought for me in my entire life that was more than a hundred bucks but that kit profoundly changed my life.

Here's a pic of the first kit that i got for myself: a 1967 Ludwig Classic, silver sparkle (minus the smaller floor tom which i added this year):

ludwig2.jpg

ludwig1.jpg

I bought this kit in the summer of '87, a frshman in High School, working all summer long cooking chicken wings in a sweaty mom and pop buffalo wing joint making $3.35 an hour. I accomplished my summer goal to buy a drumkit and first car, (coincidentally a 1967) Mercury cougar pony car with a 289 v8.
I've had a few kits come and go, but this one will be with me til the end.

This was my first set:

A Pulse Percussion 5 piece.

20" Bassdrum
10 and 12" toms
14" floortom
13" snare

14" Magic Brass hats
18" Magic Brass crash

Pulse hardware
Tama pedal.

At this moment I am using my Gretsch Catalina Maple combined with my old set as a double bass, 7 toms drumkit, I will take and post pics this week.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 2,691
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 2,547
My first kit was a Gretch kit with duct tape on the heads, and sabian b8's !! Haha this picture was about 6 years ago. I wish I still had these, with the knowlege I have now...

Attachments

• n537020463_292359_2279.jpg
    n537020463_292359_2279.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,469
Back