Jojo Mayer

Just got back from a masterclass, it was AMAZING. ok to be honest, i didn't learn as much as i had hoped, but i guess that's what you get for studying him so extensively lol.

Due to the crap sound system, he didn't play along to jabon, syncopath etc, but instead improvised (YAY :D)

Anyway, the performance(s) were absolutely B A N A N A S, as you might expect (i was surprised at how loud his cymbals were) and i got see all the signature Jojo licks and tricks, as well as some cool unexpected stuff.

Sadly, my camera isn't as good as i thought it was LOL, and the pictures aren't all that great;

DSCF7146.jpg

DSCF7144.jpg

DSCF7139.jpg

DSCF7136.jpg

DSCF7150.jpg

I also captured a 5 min not-great-quality-but-not-dire video, may link to it later :)

Nice video man! I got two of him from the clinic on thursday, I'll put them up pretty soon. What did he chat about anywho? He was going on about the history of the drums when I saw him, he demonstrated beats from pretty much every style of popular music from the last centuary, no wonder the guys so unique...seems like he can play any style pretty much and he mixes them all together brilliantly.

Nice video man! I got two of him from the clinic on thursday, I'll put them up pretty soon. What did he chat about anywho? He was going on about the history of the drums when I saw him, he demonstrated beats from pretty much every style of popular music from the last centuary, no wonder the guys so unique...seems like he can play any style pretty much and he mixes them all together brilliantly.

OHHH YEAHH please do :)

Yeah man, that's what makes him so amazing for me, i have yet to see anything that he HASN'T mastered, y'know, where most drummers have their specific genres, or their signature technique (johnny rabb lol, jojo did demonstrate application of the one-handed roll, and trust me, he does it a LOT better than rabb :D), Jojo just has EVERYTHING.

uhh, it was like a brief q&a session followed by a long performance, and to be honest, i wasn't to thrilled with the questions lol ("Why are you holding your stick funny in your left hand?" "do you play double bass?") ugh.

although funnily enough, i was shocked to learn that back in the late 80's he DID play DB and was in loads of speed metal bands!

yeah, he didn't any kind of lecture or talk or anything , it was just a few lame questions from the audience i'm afraid

I finally got my video's uploaded, here they are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKpsCDVzDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvafj3s1boU

First one is mostly brushes, second is the end of a solo he did, I started filming just as he started to play the crap outta his drumset!

although funnily enough, i was shocked to learn that back in the late 80's he DID play DB and was in loads of speed metal bands!

yeah, he didn't any kind of lecture or talk or anything , it was just a few lame questions from the audience i'm afraid

Woah I would love to hear him playing speed metal, did he mention any band names? Sounds like your clinic was a bit different from the one I went to, but then again there couldn't have been more than 40 people or so at the clinic, it was at a really tiny place! He talked/played for two solid hours, then only took questions at the end.

Oh yeah he mentioned that he's gonna be making a secret weapons style doovda for foot technique, can't wait for that!

WOOOHOOOOOO!! YEAH! cheers dude ;D
unfortunately he didn't give any names :( although i bet his foot technique x2 would be RIDICULOUS

Yeah, i think our experiences were very different, the only things i left were great memories and a signed drumhead, the Q&A with the nottingham audience was just basically lots of long silences, occasionally interrupted by myself (lol)
i imagine yours was more educational.

either way, WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!
can't wait for mr.bloom's 35 min video :D

I finally got my video's uploaded, here they are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKpsCDVzDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvafj3s1boU

First one is mostly brushes, second is the end of a solo he did, I started filming just as he started to play the crap outta his drumset!

Woah I would love to hear him playing speed metal, did he mention any band names? Sounds like your clinic was a bit different from the one I went to, but then again there couldn't have been more than 40 people or so at the clinic, it was at a really tiny place! He talked/played for two solid hours, then only took questions at the end.

Oh yeah he mentioned that he's gonna be making a secret weapons style doovda for foot technique, can't wait for that!

I went to the clinic in Cardiff- it was absolutley insane! Im hoping to get up to the Cardiff percussion House to check out the kit he played on...

what is he doing with his left foot at the end?

It's another brilliant idea of his - he applies pressure to the head with his left foot to heighten the pitch of the drum, with spectacular results :)

Just came home from a Jojo clinic here in Switzerland.
Again I was absolutely stunned and amazed, the guy is just ridiculous and phenomenal! Technically brillant (of course), musical, diverse, exciting, dynamical, funny, and very unique in his style of playing.

Inspiring!!

By the way, because someone asked him to, he even played some blast beats! And of course he absolutely smoked!!!

Back