Knowing your band's lyrics?

My new group is a 2 piece, the singer/pianist and I write all the songs cooperatively. We both sing so I really have to know all the lyrics. Even if I were just playing the drums I suppose I have the personality that need to know everything about the song. After our practice today I snuck behind her keyboard and started learning her piano part for one of our songs. I'm weird I guess...

I don't specifically set out to learn the lyrics to all our songs, but they do creep in after a while. So yeah, you'll probably often see me mouthing the lyrics live.

I also sing backup on a lot of songs (and lead a couple of choruses and verses), so singing and lyrics are a natural part of the process for me.

I played in a band for awhile and the pratice pa wasnt that good. The music felt good but i could never really understand what the singer was saying. The singer and guitar player wrote most of the songs together and i was just the new guy. We went into alittle studio to make a demo and well uhhhh...The lyrics were really bad. At least i thought they were. In the studio was the first time i could really hear what as being said. And Im not saying I could have done any better myself. Im not a great writer. But after the studio i just couldnt really stick around. Well i was the odd man anyway. It can be hard to join a band where the other members have been friends since birth.

I don't feel the need to know all the lyrics per se.
But if I'm playing a gig where the voice (and thus the lyrics) is the main focus of the music, and people are going to listen to them first, I think it's my musical responsibility to more or less know them and listen to them too, so I can consider them when I play my complimentary part.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in the general attitude about the lyrics here. I think it's in everyones, especially yours, best interest to not only know the lyrics, but know the key of the song as well. It combats the drummer stereotype, and gives you a more complete concept of the song. (OK knowing the key won't help with the concept of the song, but I love it when a player asks "what key is this in again?" and I can help them)

I used to be in a band with this one bass player. We used to play :"The Thrill is Gone" and he would be playing the most inappropriate bass line...too happy, too many notes, wrong attitude...totally wrong feel for the song. I kept telling him...this is a SAD song, lay it back...Waste of breath on him, what a hot dog.
I may not know every word of every lyric, but I darn sure know what the songs is about.
I must say I'm apalled!

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in the general attitude about the lyrics here. I think it's in everyones, especially yours, best interest to not only know the lyrics, but know the key of the song as well.

Tell you what: When the singer learns my drum parts, I'll learn her lyrics ;-)

[/tongue in cheek]

Zing, nice!

I won't claim to know what the lyrics are, but I could sing the melody for ya. Similarly, although I couldn't physically play the parts, I know what the bass and guitars are doing as well.

Like others, it's usually in the recording process that I actually find out what lyrics are. Even then, I've done recordings where after tracking my parts, the lyrics and melody completely changed.

I know the lyrics of songs I like, which is to say I never like 100% of the songs we play. I know the drum parts and that is my contribution and I take it very seriously. I don't know guitar chords or bass parts either but the music comes out the way it should.

I don't feel the need to know all the lyrics per se.
But if I'm playing a gig where the voice (and thus the lyrics) is the main focus of the music, and people are going to listen to them first, I think it's my musical responsibility to more or less know them and listen to them too, so I can consider them when I play my complimentary part.

This.

How can you write the perfect drum part for the song if you don't know the song?

I'm with Larry, I'm a little disappointed in the general attitude about the lyrics shown. I always assumed my fellow drummers were more interested in what they were doing, and not filling in the stereotype that we just play beats and fills and go home.

Perhaps I'm biased. I was a Rush fan before I took up drums, so I was aware Neil wrote lyrics from an early age. So I have always tended to tie lyrics and drums together. Even in bands where the drummer doesn't write lyrics, I can't imagine Larry Mullen Jr, Steve Smith, or Keith Moon coming up with the great parts they did in their respective bands without being aware of what the song was saying.

This.

How can you write the perfect drum part for the song if you don't know the song?

I'm with Larry, I'm a little disappointed in the general attitude about the lyrics shown. I always assumed my fellow drummers were more interested in what they were doing, and not filling in the stereotype that we just play beats and fills and go home.

Perhaps I'm biased. I was a Rush fan before I took up drums, so I was aware Neil wrote lyrics from an early age. So I have always tended to tie lyrics and drums together. Even in bands where the drummer doesn't write lyrics, I can't imagine Larry Mullen Jr, Steve Smith, or Keith Moon coming up with the great parts they did in their respective bands without being aware of what the song was saying.

I guess I've never viewed the lyrics as integral to writing a drum part, and I don't really know how my drum parts in a song would change based on its lyrical content... I obviously try to find the best grooves, fills and flourishes that will compliment the melodies and riffs, but I must admit I never factor the lyrics into this.

It might be a genre thing though, or even a band thing. In my band, the music is written first (which is, as far as I know, the most common way to write rock songs). This usually means that the vocal melodies and lyrics will already be written to fit the riffs, chords and general feel of the music. Over time, the song will be rehearsed and evolve into its final form, which usually results in everything really fitting into place with everything else. Lyrics, vocal melodies, phrasing, fills, grooves, riffs, etc.

Maybe you're right though; maybe I should pay more attention to the lyrics. I do know most of the lyrics to most of our songs, but I'll admit that I generally only learn them because I've heard them so often, and this means that I'll generally have a drum part down before I ever learn the lyrics.

Peart is a good example and I would love to know his opinion an the subject.
Personally I don't think Moon played a 16th note fill versus an 8th note fill based on what Roger just sang. That just sounds silly.

i think its good practice to lern the lyrics. sometimes you can use percussion to accent certain words or parts of a verse/chorus. i do this in a number of our songs.

That's actually how I got started on the drums. I was in a thrash 3 piece with a friend of mind, I played guitar and sang. I used to bug him till he showed me the basics of drumming. Later I used to mess around beind his kit and learn his drum parts. Now I'm a better drummer than he is.

By listening to the music and the vocal phrasing. There's enough of the songs "emotion" portrayed there for me to be able to accurately determine what fits and what doesn't, without knowing what the 3rd line of the 2nd verse is.

I get your point, but personally I just don't find it necessary. I've gotta be honest and say that I don't know all the lyrics to some of my favourite songs....not the ones that I've had any hand in creating, but the ones I've been listening to all my life....yet the emotion contained within those songs is certainly not lost on me.

On the flip side, if you need lyrics in order to come up with a meaningful drum part, how can you do it in the instrumental sections of a song where no lyrics are evident? :)

I think the lyrics set the mood of the song, and if anyone has control over the feel and therefore the mood of the song, it's the conductor/drummer. Like if someone is singing about being extroverted in some way, I might reflect that in the drum part somehow, with more out front fills perhaps....if the person is making a musical joke or dig, a little something right where the joke is would help get the message across better, things like that. It shows that the drummer is listening.

By listening to the music and the vocal phrasing. There's enough of the songs "emotion" portrayed there for me to be able to accurately determine what fits and what doesn't, without knowing what the 3rd line of the 2nd verse is.

I get your point, but personally I just don't find it necessary. I've gotta be honest and say that I don't know all the lyrics to some of my favourite songs....not the ones that I've had any hand in creating, but the ones I've been listening to all my life....yet the emotion contained within those songs is certainly not lost on me.

+1 nicely put. Those who have seen my band's vids know I try to respond to our vocalist's vibe, but I don't know lots of words ... when our singer can't make practice I try to fill in with place-marker vocals and there's a fair bit of dum-te-dum and shooby-dooby-doo going on ... I once scatted through almost all of My Baby Just Cares for Me. It was dire lol

Larry, I know what you mean about Thrill Is Gone. I always put the brakes on in Thrill because the others try to turn up the burners - and I've told them to lay back heaps of times. It's just that it's easy to see music in abstract terms and miss some of the emotional and literal content. If players are missing the point it's not hard for a vocalist to tell a drummy drummer, "Lay back on this one - it's supposed to be a melancholy song".

I think the lyrics set the mood of the song,

So there's no emotive element to an instrumental peice? Feeling or mood can't be set by music alone with little attention paid to the lyrical content? Your emotions can't be pulled this way and that, purely by what the instruments are doing?

What about a band like the Chili Peppers....one of my favourite bands because of what they do musically, but often times their lyrics mean squat. Would the drummer have come up with a different part if the lyrics weren't "what I got, you got to get it, put it in you"? Hardly deep, hardly meaningful and hardly a total loss if you didn't know what they were saying. It's a song that's driven for the most part by a bass line.....I don't know for sure, but I'd wager if we asked Chad Smith what vibe he locked into to come up with his drum part, he'd say it evolved around the bass line and not the lyric.

Come on, indeed me old mate. :)

Music speaks in many ways....more often than not, it's the music that speaks to this drummer and not the lyric.

Exactly! "The lyrics set the mood"
When one is playing a rhythm instrument, It is the spirit of the lyrics that we listen to.
We treat them as just another voice of an instrument that is playing in the band to set our rhythm to.
If we listened to them closely, and their meanings, we would be distracted from our job.
I note that the singer is in key, I hear the tone of the voice and phrasing. I play accordingly to compliment them just as I do any instrument in the band.
I try not to step on them as I play.
I tend to try and work around the lyrics. They are a really good sounding obstacle that I avoid.
Just as I avoid a pedestrian while driving. They have the right of way.

Last edited:
Oh Jules I don't disagree in any way with you about the instrumental stuff, but since the thread is about lyrics, I am limiting myself to that.
I don't need lyrics to emote, but since they're there....

Peart is a good example and I would love to know his opinion an the subject.
Personally I don't think Moon played a 16th note fill versus an 8th note fill based on what Roger just sang. That just sounds silly.

I've actually read an interview with Neil in which he addressed that very subject. He said that once he gave the lyrics to Geddy, he treated the vocals as an instrument, and the lyric itself was no longer his focus.

Personally, I think if you can't tell the mood of the song from the sound of the vocal, regardless of lyric, you need a new singer...

Back