My new custom kick drum head

drummerstix_au

Hey,

Just wanted to share with you my awesome new kick drum head. It was done by Anthony Hamer at Hammertime Custom Drums (http://www.hammertimecustomdrums.com.au here in Australia.

If you haven't read my posts previously, I am a drummer with a disability. Spend most of my time in a wheelchair. I wanted a kick head that was unique.

380012_10150385922562339_714842338_8660576_337336899_n.jpg

305460_10150385922672339_714842338_8660578_1354523040_n.jpg

385205_10150385922912339_714842338_8660581_812091594_n.jpg

The kit the head is on in the pics is a Tama superstar. I was involved in a project at the Orange Regional Conservatorium of Music last week, and had to use their kit with bits and pieces from my own.

I am also getting a popcorn snare wrapped and hoops etc painted. Will post pics once it's complete.

Currently I am an endorsee for DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth also use Roland Electronics.

Cheers,

Andy

That's a very very cool bass drum head you have there. Not only that, but the greatest of names too!

I work around some leg disfunction, due to a spinal tumour, but I'm not in a chair yet. I'd be fascinated to hear your story & hear some of your playing. Inspirational!

Fondest regards, Andy.

Nicely done, the wheelchair symbol looks very 3D! And of course the hole as the wheel, clever!

Bermuda

Thanks for your comments guys.

The 3D wheelchair logo was given to me by a friend in the US. You may remember Rob (fourstringdrums). I then made the design my own :)

I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and have spent most of my life in and out of wheelchairs. I walk very limited steps on crutches, however this hasn't stopped me in becoming a successful drummer.

I have been playing for over 30 years, playing in various rock/metal bands since I was 19.

In March 2004, I was included in Modern Drummer's On The Move department, and have since been included in Drum! a few times, The Black Page (Canada), Rhythm (UK), and occasionally pop up in Drumscene here in Australia.

In July 2009, I performed at Australia's Ultimate Drummers Weekend in Melbourne alongside some of the best... Virgil Donati, Thomas Prigden, Ronald Bruner Jr, and Dom Famularo.

The performance was a very unique one featuring myself, Mike Mignonga (who also has Cerebral Palsy) and Dom Famularo. If you are interested, a video can be seen AUDW 2009

I also work with people with disabilities, doing drumming workshops from time to time, and solo performance/clinics for other drummers to encourage them to never give up and overcome any challenge they may have.

Green Day's Basket Case - Clinic 2008 - Awakenings Festival - Horsham
Deep Purple's Highway Star - Clinic 2008 - Adelaide Fringe Festival

I play mostly an acoustic kit, although I use a Roland trigger on my kick to help with lack of strength in my legs.

Last year I played at the Roland V-Drum Festival here in Sydney, alongside Michael Schack, Chris Whitten and a tonne of well known Aussie drummers. I did a clinic at the festival where I explained how easy it was to adapt a Roland drum kit for someone with challenges. This was followed by an All Star Jam on the main stage.

I love what I do, and find my work rather rewarding. At the end of the day I am a drummer...who happens to have a disability :)

Back