Gibraltar Catapult

You can unbury the beater and still keep time with the hi-hat. Many drummers do this, you just have to learn how. It's not impossible.

Quote us a pro example, we'll check it out on You Tube. Not impossible, though very uncomfortable, when you lift both feet off the pedals at the same time, you 'fall' either forward or backward depending how you sit on the stool.

Heres a few players who utilise the rocking hihat motion.

Steve Gadd
Dennis Chambers
Tommy Igoe
Dave weckl
Thomas Lang

In fact - most pro drummers, and even most drummers full stop use the technique.

It just involves rocking your foot slightly back on the foot board to open them, rather than picking your whole leg up to open them.

It gives you balance, and cuts out the need for additional motion that is unnecessary.

i use the rocking hi hat style i find it easier and allows me to focus more on what my other foot is doing

Who knows where the Catapult will be in 15 years. Certainly, the Axis pedal did not take the world "by storm". The first time I saw an Axis pedal was probably 17 years ago at a NAMM show. To bury the beater or not. To me that's a style. Just like keeping time with the hi-hat. Both to be done, none, little, some, or all of the time. Seems if you bury the beater all of the time, then you certainly don't need a pedal as sophisticated as an Axis pedal. John Bonham kept pretty good time on the hi-hat, used a Speed King (patent 1914), could bury the beater or not, and was able to keep pretty good balance sitting on his drum throne. I imagine, if he was alive today, he could probably play the hell out of a Catapult as well. As much fun as being a gear-head is, I think sometimes we place way to much emphasis on the latest, fastest, most expensive, lightest, coolest looking "whatever".

I can strike the drum so hard, I feel the head will break if I am not careful. Remember the force of your stike is directly proportional to the amount of load you can produce from your leg/ foot and that has nothing to do with spring tension , rebound or length of travel.
If you feel there would be an improvement to power by increasing the length of stroke - not really since the stroke length is determined by footboard height and placement. If the stroke was longer the footboard angle would increase and no one want a rediculous angled board.

1) Length of throw doesn't affect power... hmmm, I don't buy that.
2) My ICs enable me to adjust board angle and beater throw independantly also...
3) Some people prefer very steep footboard angles. Just check out our resident DB burner Tim... From his video he seems to have a very drastic incline, I don't prefer that but some people do....

I had it tested by pro players until I came up with the right angles and lengths to have a NATURAL RESPONSE - no added acceleration or power.
I thought it is best to improve my playability and not use any outside influences or componentry to complicate what should be natural. The same way we use a drum stick - with no outside influence just you and the instrument.WE ALL LEARN ABOUT THE REBOUND OF A DRUM STICK AND LIFTING YOUR YOUR HAND . NOW TRY IT WITH YOUR FOOT. i FOUND IT EASY TO BURY THE BEATER BUT THEN QUICKLY LEARNED TO PLAY OFF THE REBOUND . WHAT A DIFFERENCE !

Yes learning to operate a bass like your hands is beneficial.. One point I think you may have forgotten is how bass drums are tuned... Largely, very loosely and have very little rebound, comparitively to other drums. I feel like begin able to adjust tension probably helps counter the lack of bounce off the bass drum.

Finally, I really liked the idea, but in the end it's lack of adjustability was the deciding factor.

Hello chaps and chappette's

Drummer Magazine (UK) Done a review on the catapult in the newest issue and it got absolutely slayed.

I am therefore inclined to admit that this product is drastically lacking in favourable opinions, on the mostpart, from drummers.

I must have been one of the lucky ones who bough this pedal who can work with it and find it comfortable.

This just proves the tried and tested method of TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

If i have time i will put up the review, copyright permitting (Any long-time members or Admin's - Will copyright of reviews be and issue?)

Thanks guys

X

I'm intrigued by the design and I will for sure give it a try the first chance I get. Too bad there wasn't one at winter NAMM this year (or if there was then it's too bad that I didn't see it!).

If i have time i will put up the review, copyright permitting (Any long-time members or Admin's - Will copyright of reviews be and issue?)

Go Ahead, just as long as it stays on the forum and you make it very clear where you got the review from, like in big bold letters.

Re: Gibraltar Catapult www.youtube.com/xinovatorrx

Actually George amongst other things plays Iron Maiden covers for a well known outfit here in Melbourne Aus.
He also holds a Guiness record for the single stroke roll here. I doubt whether you would be aware or interested but those are representative of George.

Actually George amongst other things plays Iron Maiden covers for a well known outfit here in Melbourne Aus.
He also holds a Guiness record for the single stroke roll here. I doubt whether you would be aware or interested but those are representative of George.

George is a good player, no disrespect to George. Its not about George, its about Cartapult. Would like to see some heat on the Catapult.

I had trouble with the roller bearing on the foot board separating/loosing contact with the beater stalk when using heavy, short strokes, this caused a 'clack' when the two meet up together again. You mentioned 6 months to get used to Catapult. This is not reality, most pro drummers would need only 6 hrs to burn in a new pedal, along with 1 gig to call it done.

A bass pedal should offer enhancement to a players technique, not limit it, at least that's how it is here in america. Catapult needs to convince the market to insure its survival, not any one drummer. I like the attempt at something new, but will bite only if it can support and ultimately enhance an old dog's tricks.

George is a good player, no disrespect to George. Its not about George, its about Cartapult. Would like to see some heat on the Catapult.

I had trouble with the roller bearing on the foot board separating/loosing contact with the beater stalk when using heavy, short strokes, this caused a 'clack' when the two meet up together again. You mentioned 6 months to get used to Catapult. This is not reality, most pro drummers would need only 6 hrs to burn in a new pedal, along with 1 gig to call it done.

A bass pedal should offer enhancement to a players technique, not limit it, at least that's how it is here in america. Catapult needs to convince the market to insure its survival, not any one drummer. I like the attempt at something new, but will bite only if it can support and ultimately enhance an old dog's tricks.

I hope this helps

Good ol George : this was the first time he actually sat down with the pedal and used it for a length of time.
The doubling up part was in the first half hour of using it.
So it was even a test play for him. Unfortunately I can only load bits and pieces up on youtube but we plan to put up some more this weekend.
Your points are valid. I understand your predicament with the seperating movement.
It would not take you 6 months to get that under control. Give it a chance and give your muscles a chance to adapt to moving with the footboard. The pedal can be sooo fast if your foot movement is with the footboard and not trying to catch the board making your clack sound. I too can make that sound if I think about it like a conventional pedal.
Consider it is not suppose to limit or work like a rotary shaft design. Its mechanical design has different physical and geometric comps.
MBS Fitness results show that conventional style pedals have actually caused fatigue in the flexor muscles. Over the years this has become the norm. The conventional pedal alters what you do and you have to fight against it(resistance).
With resistance comes fatigue.
The Catapult action doesnt alter the natural movement of your foot (less resistance)Less fatigue but at the beginning it may feel weak because you need to retrain.
Yes you need to retrain but its for a better overall performance.
Since when does a pedal offer the player improved performance without having to work on your own ability?
How many years does it take to learn to use your trusted rotary shaft style pedal properly? I am sure it was not over night.
When anything new comes along, expect a lot of resistance and to see a loyalty to the past products that have existed for so long. If it was not for the rotary shaft / bell cam and the complications that go with it, an alternative would not be now on offer.
Designers and inventors of 100 years past that give the players the opportunity to express their talent in different forms. www.youtube.com/xinovatorrx
I have all the respect in the world for engineers that give up all their time to invent. Play your bass drum how you want and enjoy it!

The pedal can be sooo fast if your foot movement is with the footboard and not trying to catch the board making your clack sound. I too can make that sound if I think about it like a conventional pedal.

I would think a stronger spring might help the stalk stay in contact with the foot board, otherwise wasted long motions of the foot with a downward motion are necessary to keep contact. There's 'a lot more beater travel' with this design compared to cam on shaft, add in the fact the foot board height is not adjustable and long foot strokes, which could be seen as waste full are needed. With traditional, the short motion of beater travel allows one to make short concentrated strokes. Beater distance can be between 3" from bass head to 5" comfortably.

MBS Fitness results show that conventional style pedals have actually caused fatigue in the flexor muscles. Over the years this has become the norm. The conventional pedal alters what you do and you have to fight against it(resistance).
With resistance comes fatigue.

I know this to be true, but only in the traditional 'heel down' position of playing. Most drummers adapt a 'heel up' style, also a resurgence of 'heel toe' where the heel strikes first, then the ball of the foot like a natural walking motion which is virtually free of fatigue whilst employing double strokes. A lot of drummers 'run' on their pedals, this means loosing contact w/foot board for a split second in 'heel up' position.

The Catapult action doesnt alter the natural movement of your foot (less resistance)Less fatigue but at the beginning it may feel weak because you need to retrain.
Yes you need to retrain but its for a better overall performance.

I may argue when a conventional cam on shaft pedal is set to the same light load as Catapult, resistance is at the same minimum. Granted this may not be the case for one who is just 'starting out' on a bass drum pedal, they may find Catapult less resistant, or at least that's what you hope. Catapult needs to offer 'more' than what's currently happening.

Since when does a pedal offer the player improved performance without having to work on your own ability?

If it be the same design, your looking at 'slight' adjustments to an 'already learned' technique. Catapult is asking a whole new approach be learned, to which the end results have yet to be scene. Unless you yourself post a vid, since it seems you have the most time in on Catapult its full potential is nothing but speculative theory. No ones going to bow down to MBS fitness results.

When anything new comes along, expect a lot of resistance and to see a loyalty to the past products that have existed for so long. If it was not for the rotary shaft / bell cam and the complications that go with it, an alternative would not be now on offer.

True and this is your biggest hurdle. I would think you would want beginners, promising younger types who have a chance at making the scene to be given the Catapult in hopes they make it their own, reach a level of acceptable performance, then have a shot at convincing the younger market Catapult is better. Until someone reaches an acceptably consistent 'Bonham-like' performance level (or beyond) with Catapult, its going to be a hard sell.

Its almost like trying to reinvent the drum stick. Everyone is conditioned and 100 years is a long time. We also have the "Smart Pedal' design to consider, a natural walking motion where the heel makes first contact.

I may argue when a conventional cam on shaft pedal is set to the same light load as Catapult, resistance is at the same minimum. Granted this may not be the case for one who is just 'starting out' on a bass drum pedal, they may find Catapult less resistant, or at least that's what you hope. Catapult needs to offer 'more' than what's currently happening.

I have just completed a modification which should help the masses take another look.
I have designed an adjustable head for the beater angle. It offers more power and a feeling of more weight behind the movement. Its all to do with weight position and balance at the opposite end of the fulcrum. A variation of beater distance from the head can now be chosen as well as full height adjustment up to 13.5" from the base. Remember you only have to adjust height and angle without having to adjust a cam or spring.
I understand speculation will continue but I am listening to what people want to see and feel. I also modified a beater to improve the note produced. I have achieved great results so stay tuned after testing we may see some integration.

Catapult needs to offer 'more' than what's currently happening.

Actually what I meant here was...'Catapult needs to offer more than the competition.'
Improvements are good, we're proud of you Mark. Its not like I don't want Catapult to succeed. A devil's advocate, a fire under your ass so to speak I hope is one of the things you came looking here for.

If you can make Catapult convincing enough, I will buy it. It needs to be able to do what I want it to do though, not what it wants me to do. I am willing to make allowences 'within reason' so to speak.

Another thing I question is the rubber strip connected to the stalk the bearing rides on, Will this come apart after ozone, sweat and wear challenge its existence awhile? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Steel threads (or change to a solid piece of steel) in the spring retainer on the foot plate so I wouldn't be afraid to use a stronger spring would be nice too. Ever tested that little black piece of plastic for load strength? Nice with the beater adjustments, this also 'fakes' foot board angle adjustment, can't wait to see it. What is the minimum beater height?

Also tell us what's the deal with different beater head types for UK and America?

Thanks for your enthusiasm.
Yes I am inspired by all that are looking for new ways and alternatives.
Dont worry about the rubber strip. I havent worn out a strip yet. Actually they dont even wear..... so far thats over 18 months ago.
The black spring retainer block is actually aluminiun. So it wont give out.
About 10.5" min height.
Dont know anything about beater types being different. I will ask Gibraltar.
I will have more info for you in about a month so i will be in touch.
Regards.

This from a UK buyer: Rockingfreakapotamus

Member Join Date: Aug 2006

Re: Gibraltar Catapult

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are thinking of the beater that appears in most of the promotional pictures i am sure, the disk like beater?

The beater on the ACTUAL pedal is infact, the same beater that appears on the Intruder Series pedal, just a normal dual faced beater.

The promotional pictures are quite misleading in that respect.

Gibby might be changing parts on you Mark. I swear the spring retainer (USA version) is made of plastic, I gave it a good look. I will verify tomorrow and get back to you.

Beater USA is the flat disk type. Rockingfreakapotamus claims above UK issue is a 2 way design. Which beater was your choice for Catapult?

Dont worry about the rubber strip. I havent worn out a strip yet. Actually they dont even wear..... so far thats over 18 months ago.

Not so much worried about wearing out as it becomming detached from stalk. Rubber has a way of shrinking as it dries out, or/and gets wet from being exposed to everything in the atmosphere after awhile. Add to it the fact that its getting 'worked' constantly by the bearing and gravity is working against it, I question if it will have issues with becoming 'detached' and/or 'deformed'... we're talking years here, not months.

Last edited:
Gibby might be changing parts on you Mark. I swear the spring retainer (USA version) is made of plastic, I gave it a good look. I will verify tomorrow and get back to you.

So the spring holder is aluminum and not plastic as it looks. I literally had to take the bolt out and scrape the threads on the inside of the hole to verify that it was anodized aluminum. It looks so much like a hard plastic you can't tell by looking at it or touching it, or a least I couldn't, had me fooled. Its the same material that anchors the beater stalk and pin assembly to the foot plate.

The beater on the USA model I see is the single pancake design.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it looks cool but i would'nt get one

If Catapult doesn't get launched, you'll still be picking up a nice piece of drumming history. Its already made history by being the first bass drum pedal released by a major modern drum co that follows a different mechanical principle than the norm (foot board rotating on an axle between two posts). This un-adjustable first run model is an instant collectors item. For $110 its a bargain investment.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/gallery/pedals/speedmaster.html

http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/gallery/pedals/frisco.html

Attachments

• aaapedal.jpg
    aaapedal.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,643
  • aaapedal2.jpg
    aaapedal2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:
Back