My new Ludwig Black Beauty!

SitBack

I know everyone's seen one before, but I'm so excited that this just got delivered:

14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty, P-85 throw off, triple flange hoops

w12xyw.jpg

f1frbt.jpg

2u621cl.jpg

Just some pics for everyone to enjoy!

Big congrats! This is the best sounding snare in the universe, hands-down. I have the same exact model, but it didn't sound great to me until I replaced the imperial lugs with tube lugs. Those big, fat rubber gaskets are a new thing at Ludwig and in my opinion, they dampen the shell considerably.

Looks real nice. I've never actually played on or heard any "high end" snares (Ludwig or no) but from what people on DW say. Bet it sounds great (it should for the list price!).

Your BB is so great! I love it! When I got my Mapex Black Panther custom snare I put a BB right next to it and played both. I loved the BB so much!!! BUT, I got the Mapex because....it sounded just as cool! Rock On!

Take those sound sucking rubber gaskets off and replace the snare straps with Ludwig cord and you won't believe your ears. THAT is how a black beauty should sound.

The Beautys and Supras were responsible for the metal drums to become popular. Back in the 50s & 60s it was a sin to play a non wooden drum!!!! Traditions aren't easily broken but the snares sounded good and they had a new found snare sound that was bright but controlable. You could sock everything up real tight and have a rattle snake going on in there hahaha!!! I liked it!!! When Rodgers dressed their Dynasonic in a chrome over brass outfit that ripped your head off even some tradionalists were impressed. Metal snares helped all of the companies out in a big way. Their basic designs lasted for years and they were cost effective for them to produce. Hell I remember playing a Ludwig Steel set with a wooden 15ply Birch Eames snare, that was a sight!!! I'm considering one right now I have an old 10 lug Ludwig (5x14) in my closet that needs attention maybe I'll drag the poor thing out and help it back into shape. Got a bat muffler I think and a P83 that worked very nicely. Had a funky AMX green/blue paint job on it too. Thanks for the memories I think I'll drag it out!! Doc

Take those sound sucking rubber gaskets off and replace the snare straps with Ludwig cord and you won't believe your ears. THAT is how a black beauty should sound.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum about the rubber gaskets, i think the general consensus is to take them off yes?

Come to think about it, i dont think ive ever seen a BB on this forum with them left on, so i think im gonna take them off tomorrow morning and see what it sounds like

I remember reading somewhere on this forum about the rubber gaskets, i think the general consensus is to take them off yes?

Come to think about it, i dont think ive ever seen a BB on this forum with them left on, so i think im gonna take them off tomorrow morning and see what it sounds like

Yep, that's pretty much the consensus.

I finally had a a chance to A/B the difference several months ago. I heard a difference and so did the guy who had the gaskets.......it motivated him to take 'em off as well. If it opens the drum up too much, you can always put them back on. Somehow I think you'll be pleased with the more traditional sounding Black Beauty though.

It's a famous sounding drum for a reason......and it earned that reputation long before Ludwig started putting rubber on the shell.

Nice pick up......enjoy!!

Now you need to contact John Aldridge and get your name on the waiting list to have it engraved. I had mine done this year and it is just beautiful.

Hmm, I'm wondering what the sound difference is between those vintage and brand new ones. Anyone had the occasion to compare them?

Hmm, I'm wondering what the sound difference is between those vintage and brand new ones. Anyone had the occasion to compare them?

My guess would be that if they both were just re-headed with the same type heads and were both tuned as close as possible and had the same type of hardware, there shouldn't be much difference, if any, to your ears. Like I said, this is a guess since I never had a chance to play two Black Beauty drums of the same size side by side.

Dennis

Very nice! My plan for the new year is to get a 6.5x14 BB with imperial lugs in my collection. I have supras, but never owned or played a BB. Hopefully that will change this year! Good luck with your new snare - it's beautiful and I'm sure it sounds great.

Back