Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Quite to the contrary Bill. Nice to see a few others join in and waiting to see what other newcomers have to show of their Agops once they come across this thread.

Nice TW by the way as is your entire Agop collection.

I've had several 22" TWs- 2248g, 2406g, 2600g, and 2674g. I kept the 2248g and 2600g but sometimes regret letting the other two go. I also have two 24" TWs and need to decide which one to keep.

I currently have 21 Agops in my collection and have let another 14 go to other homes.

I'll keep the pics coming so we can keep the thread near the top.

I've had several 22" TWs- 2248g, 2406g, 2600g, and 2674g. I kept the 2248g and 2600g but sometimes regret letting the other two go. I also have two 24" TWs and need to decide which one to keep.

I currently have 21 Agops in my collection and have let another 14 go to other homes.

I'll keep the pics coming so we can keep the thread near the top.

Wow Bill I thought I had it bad with my 10 all together {counting 2 as hats} in my Agop collection.

You certainly have the prize Agop stable indeed.

My favorite Agop-

22", 2327g Signature ride

AgopSignatureRide22-2327ge.jpg

My favorite Agop-

22", 2327g Signature ride

AgopSignatureRide22-2327ge.jpg

Nice!. A really great weight too for a 22" Sig.

Most of the Agop rides on what particular online dealers site are all to thin for my taste which brings up an interesting observation Bill. It wasn't till I got to hear some Agop rides in the flesh with a little more meat on the bone like my 21" SE ride at 2325g that I realized just how GREAT these slightly beefier Agop rides can sound like your latest offering.

Wow they are all beautiful cymbals. A question with the TW rides though. Does it say TW somewhere on the ride? I cant seem to see it, otherwise how can you tell the difference between the SE and the SE TW?

Bilkay - How does that 20" SE with the rivets sound? I was thinking of getting a 21" SE and putting 2 rivets in, but now i think i might just get the Mel Lewis, as i know how it sounds, im wary of the what the results would be for the SE.

That same weight revelation applies to Agop hats too as I discovered. When I tested hats and came across a pair of Agop Sigs at 1025g top and 1200g bottom and knew right away I finally had found the perfect jazz hats i've always been looking for. Think Tony's old heavier mid 60's 14" Turkish K pair of marching cymbals used as hats blended with a current Agop vibe and character. Great solid crisp but dark foot, amazing stick sound and open splashes,sizzle like trash,etc...

Wow they are all beautiful cymbals. A question with the TW rides though. Does it say TW somewhere on the ride? I cant seem to see it, otherwise how can you tell the difference between the SE and the SE TW?

No markings to indicate it as a SE TW but they are noticable differences.

The outer 2" has the flanged appearence with a different lathing appearence and the top has very complex hand hammering with large and small hammer marks and a different style of finer traditional lathing. The bottom is fully lathed too but more open than the top which the regular SE are not and has more intense open in appearence hand hammering than the top regarding the TW.

Here's my TW top and bottom for reference again

Attachments

• 22 tw f.jpg
    22 tw f.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,091
  • 22 tw b.jpg
    22 tw b.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,540
Last edited:
Nice!. A really great weight too for a 22" Sig.

Most of the Agop rides on what particular online dealers site are all to thin for my taste which brings up an interesting observation Bill. It wasn't till I got to hear some Agop rides in the flesh with a little more meat on the bone like my 21" SE ride at 2325g that I realized just how GREAT these slightly beefier Agop rides can sound like your latest offering.

Most of my Signature rides are on the heavy side- 22", 2581g, 23", 2871g, and 24", 3337g. I like thin Sig rides, too. I once had a 20", 1580g Signature ride and I've been looking at the really thin ones on CymbalsOnly.com.

I also like the TWs heavy- 2600g+ for a 22", even though I also have the 2248g TW (it's a great left side ride). The 24" TWs I have are between 3400g and 3500g.

Where I really make a departure with the Agops is the regular SEs and the Vezir rides. I prefer 20" SE rides and the two I have are between 1600g and 1700g. They both have a remarkably present stick and a crash that gets right out of the way when you go back to the ride pattern. I also have a 22", 2255g Vezir that's about as smoky and woody as you can get.

Latin Groover- I usually use only one rivet in a ride, though I occasionally use up to three rivets. The SE and Mel Lewis are very different rides. I really like the 20" Mel Lewis, at around 1950g - 2000g. I like the 21" SEs in the 1800g - 1900g range. The SEs tend to be a bit drier and not quite as dark as the Mels.

I agree Bill that a variety of weights is a good thing but man do some of the beefier Agop rides sound simply amazing. Not sure in your travels you've come across a med. weight 21" SE but the one I came across at 2325g will only be parting company with me at the reading of the will. Think qualities of Elvin and Tony's rides with a great woody stick,nice clear musical bell and the beef to really project when needed.

My point was I just wish online buyers could hear a wider variety of weights of Agop rides and not just always the thiness ones possible and decide for themselves what catches their ear since some really take on a different character when they have a little more weight to them as I discovered with both Agop rides and hats

I agree Bill that a variety of weights is a good thing but man do some of the beefier Agop rides sound simply amazing. Not sure in your travels you've come across a med. weight 21" SE but the one I came across at 2325g will only be parting company with me at the reading of the will. Think qualities of Elvin and Tony's rides with a great woody stick,nice clear musical bell and the beef to really project when needed.

My point was I just wish online buyers could hear a wider variety of weights of Agop rides and not just always the thiness ones possible and decide for themselves what catches their ear since some really take on a different character when they have a little more weight to them as I discovered with both Agop rides and hats

Yeah, I was initially taken by the thin rides but discovered over time that I liked the heavier ones, for the most part. Superstition Percussion carried heavier Agops when they were open- that's where I got the heavy 22" Signature. Since I have the heavier TWs, I haven't felt the need to go after a heavy SE but I may look for a heavy 22" (my favorite size ride).

I have some heavy Paiste rides, including a 22", 3000g Signature Rough ride. I also had a 22", 3260g Paiste Sound Creation Dark ride, which I sold to a friend, as well as a 20", 3000g Paiste Signature Dry Heavy ride. I also currently have a 22", 2960g Zildjian K Medium Dark ride that I really like.

But those rides are for another thread.....

Since I have the heavier TWs, I haven't felt the need to go after a heavy SE but I may look for a heavy 22" (my favorite size ride).

You might want to check out the 21" size heavier regular SE too Bill. Size and weight wise it hits a certain sweet spot and character for me in the SE line as I discovered. Also a huge fan of 22" rides too but this 21" is a real unique standout performer at 2325g IMO. Pure cymbal magic!.

Another pic different than what i've posted of it before for reference:

Attachments

• se 1.jpg
    se 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,480
Last edited:

Bilkay - How does that 20" SE with the rivets sound? I was thinking of getting a 21" SE and putting 2 rivets in, but now i think i might just get the Mel Lewis, as i know how it sounds, im wary of the what the results would be for the SE.

Well, I think that`d be an awesome option as well. For that I`d choose a light SE, with a woody stick definition, a smooth, dark and complex tone...but this is a personal preference of course. But hey, SE rides with rivets. Great idea!

Though I couldn`t drill holes into such a beautiful cymbal. lol

Karl

Well, I think that`d be an awesome option as well. For that I`d choose a light SE, with a woody stick definition, a smooth, dark and complex tone...but this is a personal preference of course. But hey, SE rides with rivets. Great idea!

Though I couldn`t drill holes into such a beautiful cymbal. lol

Karl

Hey Karl the med weight SE Jazz rides have a nice woody stick too just more body to the sound and depth of tone and are not pingy. Don't like pingy rides no matter who makes them.

No drill on my 21" SE beauty either. Have my 21" Mel Lewis with 2 factory drilled rivet holes and rivets covering that cymbal character very well.

Guys, do not ever be afraid to drill a ride. I drill one to three holes in 'em, though I usually only use one rivet.

And regarding the 21" SEs, I had one that was around 1900g but traded it because I wanted to get my hands on something else at the time.....

Guys, do not ever be afraid to drill a ride. I drill one to three holes in 'em, though I usually only use one rivet.

And regarding the 21" SEs, I had one that was around 1900g but traded it because I wanted to get my hands on something else at the time.....

My one rivet ride my 21" Mel Lewis is all the rivet ride I need at the moment so i'm cool to keep the power tools in the case at the moment.

Trust me if you have not heard how different a med. weight 21" SE ie:2325g sounds Bill your in for a very pleasant surprise. Me and Noel the Canadian Agop distributor were both pretty impressed right away with this cymbal during testing of Agop rides earlier in the Summer. I told him consider it "sold" after only a few stick hits with my 5A wood tip stick since I knew I found gold right away sound wise with it's sweet mix of a woody stick,body and depth of tone.

Nice....

Here's my current Istanbul Agop setup:

07_kit.jpg

19" Alchemy Med. Crash
19" Alchemy Rock Crash (x2)
14" Alchemy Custom Mixed Hats
22" Alchmey Raw Ride
9" Alchemy Raw Bell (inverted on Ride)
18" Alchemy Power China

I also have a 20" Turk Ride, 10" Agop Traditional Splash and a 16" Agop Traditional Med. Crash.

Nice....

Here's my current Istanbul Agop setup:

07_kit.jpg

19" Alchemy Med. Crash
19" Alchemy Rock Crash (x2)
14" Alchemy Custom Mixed Hats
22" Alchmey Raw Ride
9" Alchemy Raw Bell (inverted on Ride)
18" Alchemy Power China

I also have a 20" Turk Ride, 10" Agop Traditional Splash and a 16" Agop Traditional Med. Crash.

Interesting setup!

I like your cymbals - and the way you have your drums and cymbals arranged - different.

I'm just putting together a kit and haven't got it set up yet - need more rack/stand parts. I've bought a rack system sort of like yours (the two short rack bars - one on each side) but I will have a bar across the front as well. And just yesterday I thought I'd try to arrange my ride cymbal like yours here. It's kind of a coincidence that I should be reading this thread right now and see your setup. Thanks for posting this.

You can send me a PM with more details on how you came to chose your setup and how you like it if you want. I see you have some triggers there too. That's another area I want to explore as well (a few triggers - and some pads and a brain maybe).

Again - I like you kit - good job! NICE CYMBALS !

istanbul.JPG

My Istanbul Agop Traditional 20" medium ride, sounds great and it's my first Istanbul Agop so far.

Tom

Back