John Blackwell

Yeah i got his dvd's here from my teacher. And it's autographed by him. He's not the best talking to people but definately a good player.

Hearing him talk is indeed exhausting. Notice how when he talks about his father, he seems to almost forget his last name- "My number one influence? My father, John....(gasp)....Blackwell, Sr." He is an excellent drummer though. And he has a mean right foot.

yeh i saw him when he toured solo in australia,
yeh he defently is a showman but i think its great - alot of the olden drummer like, buddy, and gene where all showmen. and it jsut add's to the musicianship.
i found that he hit his kit really hard though; even though it was all mic'd and cas it was in a small venu my ears where ringing at the end.

That dude has some chops out of this world!! I really like his playing, really solid. He does kinda remind me of buddy and gene a bit.

He is a great drummer, with a very special gift.

He was VERY nervous on the DVD....why? I'll never know because he is better than 99% of drummers in the world. I guess maybe he thinks some of those heros he mentioned would be watching?

Another thing people rarely mention about good drummer....What a great sounding kit and cymbal setup (Man I gotta get one of those 19" HHXplosion crashes!

I have met and shared a drum set with John. He is not really a very talkative guy to begin with. He's a great drummer and he suffered a unbelievable loss.

Im proud of him, some cats would have just crumbled and called it a life time.

Joe Morris

Did you guys know he named his Gong after his daughter after she died in that tragic swimming accident.

I just saw him on the Ultimate Drummer's Weekend 2003 dvd, and he got even better. Plus he's playing almost my exact same kit, except his bass drum and toms are maple. Now if I could play everything he plays on my kit, I'd be set!

Sad story about his daughter. I know there's something else he named after her too. Anyone know?

The other thing I like about John, other than his obvious enthusiasm for playing, is the level of musicianship he demostrates wiht that band on his DVD. Even though its really chops intensive and setup to really let him shine, when he's not chop'in hardcore he really plays nice parts.

In defense, Mr. Blackwell is an amazing guy. I'm attending the Berklee five week program, and just finished talking to him about the reality of succeeding in music. He was very honest about the odds, and about schools, making connections, etc. I also have him as an ensemble director, and I can vouch that he loves to play! Every time I mess up, he gets on the kit and plays the song down...But after three rehearsals, I think I've got it, mostly because I got to watch him play.

I bought his DVD the minute is was released and though I was WOWED by his technique and speed. I did get a bit annoyed when he talked on the DVD and obviously it was because he was nervous. But even some of his chops were a little sloppy I thought for someone asked to play at a MD Show. I'm not knocking him in anyway because I love the DVD, but I think his timing on some of those songs could have been better.

But I only wish I had the opportunity to play at a show that big or make my own DVD.

So Im also doing the Berklee 5-week program, and getting taught by Blackwell for a funk/fusion lab (minnietguinea whats your name I've probably met you sometime in the practice rooms or whatever). Blackwell is the man, really cool guy.....not so great teacher. I mean, im sure he would be better, if he didnt spend most of the time we have showing us videos of him playing with Prince. We also missed one class becuase he had a clinic....and there was no talk about making that up so i dont know. His class is really fun, I would just rather have him teach us more instead of showing us videos. This week everyone in the class has to do an open solo (up to 10 min) for him....that should be fun, as long as I can try to forget who im playing for so i dont get nervous. Its still a shock to me that when I see him walking down the street by Berklee he says Hey to me. Berklee is awesome.

My name's Drew. White kid with the jew-fro and glasses. I know what you mean about just having him talk to you randomly. I was in Dunkin Donuts with one of my friends and didn't even see him walk in, and he just walks up to me. I was talking about something with my friend, and he's just like "shut up." It was weird, because I had to do a double take to even notice it was him.

John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

John Blackwell came down for a few drum clinics in australia. I was happy to be the theatre technician at kaliede when he came down to melbourne. The day after he did the clinic he appeared on bert, a melbourne tv show, with some of melbournes many great musoes. I recorded that session and have it avaliable to download.
They play a prince classic

http://www.mellisdesigns.com/blackwell

Its a high quality 80mb divX file. It is a great session that runs for about 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

Re: John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

Oi dude i was heaps lucky enuff to go to his sydney clinic.....without a doubt he is the best drummer in the world atm....absolute freak.....could u please tell me what band he performed it with on bert newton....and what is the original song title and by who?....dont know my prince s*** unfortunately....cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back