Hi

Dean Talbot

Hi all

I'm a newb here but have been playing on and off since 1985. I've recently ditched acoustic as in the area I live I could only play with mesh heads and even then we still got complaints, so I've bought a Yamaha DTXtreme III Special with an extra 5 pads to use up all available inputs (15). I have a Big Dog Pro Double pedal and I saved a couple of splashes from the acoustic kit (Sabian AAX 6 and 8"), both of which I still have to pad.

I can't believe the versatility of the DTX however, and the sound is amazing.

The real winner however, and the reason I bought it, is that if you stand outside my garage while I'm playing, it sounds like someone tapping on a tyre. LOL Job done!

Here's my office:
IMG00061.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Nice looking set man - the DTXtremes are awesome kits. The only thing I don't necessarily like about them is the rubber pads - they just feel so different to acoustic drums. For me Roland wins every time because of the mesh heads.

@ Solaris. Yes the feel is different, but I used to use mesh heads on my acoustic kit to cut noise, and in 2 - 3 hours of playing my fingers were shredded. Real skins don't do that and thankfully neither do these pads. I'm still getting used to the feel but am putting the hours in and I'm getting used to the pads. Given the choice I'd always have real skins but in suburbia that's not an option for me.

@ Henhog - yessir. The Hex Rack not only looks good it's very heavy duty.

The only down side to the DTX system is the limit to 15 inputs. There is more room on the rack and a few more pads would be ideal. Other than that, I would recommend it to anyone.

The only thing I don't necessarily like about them is the rubber pads - they just feel so different to acoustic drums. For me Roland wins every time because of the mesh heads.

i disagree completely, i find rolands meshg pads to be way too responsive and feel really fake, but the DXtreme feels totally natural to me

each to their own i guess

Back