New Gretsch Brooklyn COB

Grunt that drum is tuned like I would tune it, higher with lotsa ring. Love the tone of that drum. It sounds like a snare drum should to my ear.

Dmacc, Larry thanks for looking. This is my best sounding snare now. I can see why so many people like the Luddy 402 line. I still need to get my fave Evans batter head on it and I will be in heaven.

Not as dry as I anticipated. I like it and it's a really good looking snare as well.

Plan on trying die cast on it or at least trying them out if you have some laying around? Especially if you have some brass die cast hoops around...might be cool.

No plan really to switch hoops. The new 302 double flange are more lively than the die cast. I have other snares with die cast, and seeing as my ear says this is the best sounding snare I have, I shall leave well enough alone.
I can put an Evans HD Dry head on it and dry it out a bit. The head on it now was given to me by Forks since the one on it has some stick marks on it. Customer service at its best.

Sounds great Grunt. Really like it......the unmistakable beauty of brass.

FWIW, die casts will stifle the overtones far more than hammering does IMHO. I have DC's on my Black Beauty at the moment.....really dries out the drum. They sound great in my boomy practice room, but if I were to take it out and do gigs with it I'd put the triple flanged back on and give the mojo back that the drum is famous for in the first place. A fun experiment, but I agree with you......I like the sound of that COB just the way it is.

Back