New Gretsch Brooklyn COB

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Here is the un-boxing that Andy wanted to see of my new Gretsch Brooklyn snare.
This thing is beautiful, heavy, has the new 302 RIMS, adjustable butt and lightning snare release. Also, Jamie Forkum of Forks sent a new batter head since the one on it has a few stick marks. That is customer service. Tomorrow the sound byte on this thread. Have to change the heads first. Enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• CIMG1511.JPG
    CIMG1511.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,707
  • CIMG1513.JPG
    CIMG1513.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 2,714
  • CIMG1515.JPG
    CIMG1515.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,699
  • CIMG1518.JPG
    CIMG1518.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,693
  • CIMG1519.JPG
    CIMG1519.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,628
  • CIMG1520.JPG
    CIMG1520.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,681
  • CIMG1523.JPG
    CIMG1523.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 2,721
Sound bite for the Gretsch Brooklyn snare.

Attachments

• STE-008 1.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 725
  • STE-001 9.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 329
Last edited:
beautiful piece of machinery GD

I'll be buying a Brooklyn kit at some point this summer

Nice tone !!! I love the slight ring in there, very subtle but beautiful. Seems one always hears that kind of tone in brass. Enjoy!
Just curious - do you tune reso that much higher up over batter?

Wonderful... Congratulations on a beautiful drum with a beautiful sound.

Nice tone !!! I love the slight ring in there, very subtle but beautiful. Seems one always hears that kind of tone in brass. Enjoy!
Just curious - do you tune reso that much higher up over batter?

I normally tune the reso high regardless of the batter tuning. The snares seem to choke less.

Thanks to all for your comments

Last edited:
Beautiful!
The Brooklyn series seems to be great. Could you make a sound clip? :)

EDIT: Bah, it didn't load at first, lol. Thanks, Grunty!

very nice, wow im supprised they gave you the extra head!

I have heard nothing but Good things about Forks on this forum and had no fear ordering from them on eBay.. The drum was listed as a 6.5 x 15 snare but I new better. After my offer was accepted by Jaime, he wrote me to see if there was going to be a problem. I could have been an a$$ but why do that. The drum was what I wanted, I got it for what I wanted to pay, he threw in a new head with no mention from me and I am happy as a lark. I need to make one more recording with a different recorder. The one above seems a bit muffled to me.

Great snare Grunt, I'm glad I could hear it too, the "muffled" sound reminded me of some Steve Gadd's sound from certain recordings :)

Cool, sounds and looks great! Lately I really favor deep and mid to mid-high tuned snares, they sound great to me.
I didn't care much for the muffled last bit, but everyone his or her taste of course.

I used to like low, muffled drums and now I just want to hear tone and ring so the drums can sing. Funny how taste can change over time.

Hey, thanks for posting the sound clip, I wish more people would do that.

I don't post much and the muffled idea was just to show how snares or any drums can be played with to get many sounds due to the number of posts from people who say, "How can I get that snare sound" Or "I want my snare to sound just like this.What heads are they using" I haven't done that sound in 30 years. I am a high pitched, lots of crack sound snare guy.

Yeah, a snare should crack ;-)

It's great you take the trouble recording both the clean and muffled sound.
Around my area there are very few stores where I can play drums myself so I like 'impartial' recordings.

I think a deeper brass snare is really versatile. It sounds great tuned either low or high and you can muffle it or let it sing/ring.

Congratulations on you new snare drum!
I love these drums ......way to go Gretsch!

Thanks for sharing the sound clips....sounds great.

Cheers to you and your new drum!

Back