Can Someone Explain This "Bass" Pedal? [vid]

Gene Krupa

Specifically @ 1:27 on the floor tom.
I can't find a kick I can mount like that anywhere. Top beating kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYMEYtYC8o

In the market for a portable kit. Leaning toward the Taye Go Kit so far.
If I could utilize what is done in the video, perhaps I can downsize with a similar kit to the Taye.

On that note, can anyone recommend similar tiny kits if Witergarten's proves to be too complicated?

Before I went to all of that adapting I would just get a cocktail kit. Or at least put the beater on the bottom and use the bass drum for a large tom. Are you the real Gene Krupa?

Before I went to all of that adapting I would just get a cocktail kit. Or at least put the beater on the bottom and use the bass drum for a large tom. Are you the real Gene Krupa?

Gene Krupa is on par with Buddy Rich, yet he often takes second fiddle in the minds of the general public. Perhaps not the most original name - just a statement.

But I understand. I have a feeling it's a custom weld job.

Wish I purchased one of these way back when it was done properly, but the price reflected that (which is why I didn't pull the trigger):

nqJEy4

It appears the photo didn't 'take: Vintage? Yamaha Hipgig.

Currently experiencing yet another noreaster power outage. Utilizing the neighbor's generator driven internet. Likey going into radio silence.

Still REALLY digging the top-mounted bass tom kick, however.

Thank you so much for the replies thus far,

"Gene"

I just don’t see a need for the linkage when bass drum pedals to play the bottomhead already exist???

I just don’t see a need for the linkage when bass drum pedals to play the bottom head already exist???

Hitting on the top(s) is immediately satisfying. Much like hitting (hearing) a tom/ snare "normally." Besides, I'm not exactly eager to change out a bottom tom head to accept bottom head hitting.

I'm fairly certain the dude in the video did it for a reason (world class musician). I'm just massively curious as to why it was done and why. Additionally curious HOW it was done.

But you are correct, I may have to settle for 'standard' downsizing.

Last edited:
I just want to know where I can get a top hitting bass pedal for toms.
All else is ancillary.

Don't get me wrong, though. I thoroughly appreciate everyone's responses - it's key to the learning process and taken into careful consideration,

"Gene"

Last edited:
The sound is good. I like the music box, harp, and hammered dulcimer together.

The sound is good. I like the music box, harp, and hammered dulcimer together.

That dude is pretty badass. I may email him to poke his brain - not holding my breath for a response though, he's pretty famous.

I've definitely learned some useful stuff here though.

Thank you so much,

"Gene"

Last edited:
I just want to know where I can get a top hitting bass pedal for toms.
I have a hunch he may have modified a cajon bass pedal.​

Attachments

• cajon.jpg
    cajon.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 287

Well, I'll be damned. Great link to get to the bottom (pun intended) of this!
That's the actual dude, too. KILLER STUFF!

Always thought it might have been a tom since it's relatively little and on a tom-style stand - I was mistaken.

Was hoping for a 'plug-play' kind of thing, but it doesn't look too too hard to fabricate.

Wish he included documentation to create it though - I'm not exactly the best of handymen.

Last edited:
Maybe...

It would be cool if he could position the beater off center and be able to use his sticks, too.

Was hoping for a 'plug-play' kind of thing, but it doesn't look too too hard to fabricate.

Wish he included documentation to create it though - I'm not exactly the best of handymen.
Obviously, he wasn't the best handyman/fabricator either. His first design broke down on their first show.​
I'd still go with a modified cajon pedal. All you really need to do is add a hoop clamp (or two) to it. The cable drive is already part of the system. And just mount floor tom legs to the kick drum. He totally over-complicated his leg system.​

Obviously, he wasn't the best handyman/fabricator either. It first design broke down on their first show.​
I'd still go with a modified cajon pedal. All you really need to do is add a hoop clamp (or two) to it. The cable drive is already part of the system. And just mount floor tom legs to the kick drum. He totally over-complicated his leg system.​

Ah, cool. I had a feeling it was over-engineered as well. Well, at least I'm armed with knowledge about the subject.

You guys ROCK,

"Gene"

Back