REMO VS EVANS!!!

Hi,
I recently put a thread up saying which Remo heads would go well on toms. I found the Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassador a good combination. However, They cost around £36-£40 for both packs (with a free 14" coated ambassador for both packs).
I found the Evans Coated Standard G2 pack for £22 and Evans Clear Standard G1 pack for £21.
The price difference is quite big. I was wondering if the heads are similar or different.
What is the difference between each combination? Is there a better Evans or Remo combination?
Also, what is the difference between Evans Standard and Rock heads (for both the coated and clear)?

I'm looking for a warm, Bonham-esque sound!
(PLEASE TALK ABOUT EXPERIENCES, NOT PREFERENCES)
Thanks

Evans G2 and Remo Emperor are both 2 plies of 7 mil mylar.
Evans G1 and Remo Ambassador are both 1 ply of 10 mil mylar.

For all intents and purposes they are constructed with the same materials and are designed to do the same thing.

Which is "better" is an age old debate and the subject of about a thousand threads here on Drummerworld alone. Some say Evans others say Remo. Some say Evans coating lasts "forever"....I disagree. Others say Remo coating fails withing three strikes of a stick......again I disagree. I've played both and prefer the nuances of a Remo head, but others disagree with me. Get the picture?
The only way you're gonna know is to play both and see which you prefer.

Is there a "better" combination? Depends on what you're looking for. But if you wanna be Bonham-esque then you're using the same head combo.....2 ply over 1 ply.....that he did on his wooden and stainless steel kits (except he used coated Ambs underneath instead of clear)

Evans G2 and Remo Emperor are both 2 plies of 7 mil mylar.
Evans G1 and Remo Ambassador are both 1 ply of 10 mil mylar.

For all intents and purposes they are constructed with the same materials and are designed to do the same thing.

Which is "better" is an age old debate and the subject of about a thousand threads here on Drummerworld alone. Some say Evans others say Remo. Some say Evans coating lasts "forever"....I disagree. Others say Remo coating fails withing three strikes of a stick......again I disagree. I've played both and prefer the nuances of a Remo head, but others disagree with me. Get the picture?
The only way you're gonna know is to play both and see which you prefer.

Is there a "better" combination? Depends on what you're looking for. But if you wanna be Bonham-esque then you're using the same head combo.....2 ply over 1 ply.....that he did on his wooden and stainless steel kits (except he used coated Ambs underneath instead of clear)

Great thanks! Which do you prefer? Which one resonates more? Which heads are warmer/brighter? Anything you think would help me, I'd like to hear it!

I prefer Remo.

They resonate about the same. Both have similar levels of warmth.

What steers me towards Remo is the attack. My ear hears a "plasticky" sound in the attack on an Evans head (not very scientific I know, but that's how I hear it). Whether it's real or percieved is another question, but it's what I hear and what has always had me favouring a Remo head.

The only thing I can think of that will help you out, is to say try everything that interests YOU. How else are you really gonna know?

Last edited:
My buddy's new Tama Bubinga Elite came with Evans clear heads on it, and we really noticed a difference in sound, and especially with stick rebound. He can't wait until they wear out so he can get some Remo's on there.

What steers me towards Remo is the attack. My ear hears a "plasticky" sound in the attack on an Evans head (not very scientific I know, but that's how I hear it). Whether it's real or percieved is another question, but it's what I hear and what has always had me favouring a Remo head.

That's nicely put. I had an Evans on my snare and "plasticky" is a good word for it. It might not just be the attack but the decay was also shorter to my ear. Not knocking it because the head was still good and held its tone longer than Remos and, yes, the coating is much more durable (esp with brushes ... which isn't relevant here, even if playing The Rain Song, which didn't involve sweeping).

Aquarian is another option. Tone was almost as good as Remo, and with almost almost as much durability as Evans. They're pricey, though. However, Sydney drum shops mostly just stock Remo and Evans.

Right now my kit is equipped with coated Ambassadors with Evans G1 resos, fairly happy with the sound. Though, I can't wait for new heads, I wan't Vintage Emperors over Clear Ambassador!

Remo are great for toms and snare - they just sound better!
For bass drum beater I'd choose Evans. Their EMAD is amazing! As some already stated, Evans has better coating quality. My Remos haven't failed yet after a half year of usage.

I like coated emperor's but the coating does fail every time.

I just switched to coated G2 to see how they hold up. So far they are working. I do sound a bit different but in a good way!

Now kick drum heads, I tried the Evans EQ1 and it sounded thin compared to a Remo PS3. So Remo wins! The PS3 has a fuller, warmer sound. Not sure why they differ so much but they do.

On the res side I haven't noticed a difference between Remo Ambassador's or the Evans G1's.

There's something different about the overtones...it's very subtle, but there is definitely a difference. I've often felt Evans heads are a little warmer than Remos, myself.

Im considering trying out some Evans heads soon. I have been Remo all the way since I started - no idea why, just cos'

I have become very disappointed with the coating on Remo as of late - they wont even last one jam session/gig which becomes expensive if you look to replace them as soon as the coating goes.

Im considering trying out some Evans heads soon. I have been Remo all the way since I started - no idea why, just cos'

I have become very disappointed with the coating on Remo as of late - they wont even last one jam session/gig which becomes expensive if you look to replace them as soon as the coating goes.

Send your heads back to Remo, they will replace them.

I s there really a difference?

Of course there is a difference: they are manufactured in different factories, the hoops are different, and the glue is different. Evans heads work better for me on Mapex, Gretsch, and Pearl drums. They tune up easier and last a long time. Evans lowered their prices recently too. All the drumhead companies make good products; it comes down to individial preference. I got my first drum in 1969. Since then I have used just about every type of head there is. I prefer Evans. I get the sound I want, they tune up easily and stay tuned, and they last. Peace and goodwill.

Both companies make good products. Many people hear a difference between them and have different experiences with the product. There are also some manufacturing differences. We strive to offer the best product, best reliability, and best customer service- all at the best price. I don't really like to get too involved in the back and forth brand debates but I'll be happy to answer any questions about Evans.

Cheers!

Both companies make good products. Many people hear a difference between them and have different experiences with the product. There are also some manufacturing differences. We strive to offer the best product, best reliability, and best customer service- all at the best price. I don't really like to get too involved in the back and forth brand debates but I'll be happy to answer any questions about Evans.

Cheers!

Good morning. Thanks for being on here. I am usually a REMO guy but will try your product one of these days. Question for you. All the drum companies out there have different shell thicknesses, different bearing edges, and different places on that edge where the cut begins. I have Saturn's and they start the 45' edge almost immediately from the outer edge.

Does your company offer the option of ordering the height of the collar, and where it starts to angle on the top of the head to try and match different applications out there. I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance. Hope you had a good Holiday season. Glen.

I have always played Evans ever since I tried a few remo's

For instance,
I had an ambassador snare on the bottom of my homebuilt snare (the one in my avatar) after the original Hazy 300 (Evans) outlasted four batter heads... It consistantly needs to be retuned and typically will go flat halfway through practice sets (usually 1-3 hours) A new Hazy is back on there...

I tried a coated Emperor on the snare... Was not bad, did require quite a bit of tuning to satisfy my taste however. The coating and the head itself did not last long one dent and lots of coating wear. (I usually got another 2 or 3 months out of Evans snare heads, which is usually a coated G2 or EC Snare)

With evans heads, I have never had an issue with tuning, staying in tune, or durability, dents or coating.

On the toms I realized just how good my Stage Customs can sound when I pulled the Remo Reso's off the bottom and replaced them with G1's... They were on the old side (about 1-2 years of on and off use) but my current set of G1 reso's are over 2 years old and still hold a tune impeccably. I typically check them every month and usually a turn or two on one or two lugs is all it takes to bring them back to perfect pitch.

Tom batters I have never used anything but Evans, so can't really say anything about those. Their EC2's or G2 coateds wide open and tuned up are unbeatable. Again I check these probably ever couple of nights of practice and depending on the drum they are never far off.

Bass Drum, EMAD all the way, tried the powerstroke pro and laughed pretty hard. Nothing compares with the Emad on the beater and a wide open Reso

MY opinions, my experiences overall, every Evans skin with the exception of snare sides comes out of the box with a definite resonance... you can hit a skin with your finger, not even mounted on the drum and it has a pitch, plus the way the heads are formed is just superior... its obvious in how they do have a pitch out of the box. Not all Remo heads I have seen do that. Nor have I had so much ease tuning sub par drums (the stage customs and my cheap-o ebay kit i started on) that I do with Evans skins.

Back