iPad; Your thoughts about it

I think this guy summed it up pretty well.

My Initial Thoughts on Apple’s Announcement Regarding the Release of the iPad, Viz. the High Likelihood of Its Impact As a Paradigm-Shifting, Next-Generation Appliance Poised to Upend the Traditional Notion of Computers As Per Se Computers; Plus, Educated Commentary on the Complex and Sometimes Adversarial Relationships Between Humans and the Machines That They Build to Use and to — Amongst Other Things — Build Still More Machines for Using and Building Other Machines; Plus, a Brief, but Memorable Meditation on the Importance of Careful Design, High Build Quality, Humane and User-Focused HCI Iteration Processes, and Practical Affordances in Order to Provide Users at Every Level of Expertise or Interest the Ineffable Touch of Grace and Humanity That — at Its Most Sublime — Gifts Us With a Quietly Satisfying Feeling of Total Engagement. Which Feeling Is Only Possible When One’s Tools and Technology Decisions Support an Elegant, Absorbing, and Seamlessly Friction-Free Flow State In Which One Can Utterly Disappear — In Which State One May Briefly Enjoy the Weightless Levity of Total Unity — In Which State, Rather Than Feeling One is “Doing Work,” One Mindfully Observes “Work Being Done” — In Which State Tool and Tool-Handler Are No More Distinguishable Than Those Elemental Singularities and Gapless Gestalts That Constitute Our Core Drive to Create — In Which State, Process is Product as well as Processor and Processed — Where, Like the Mythical Centaur, We Are Both/And (and Neither/Nor) Horse And/Nor/Neither Rider Nor Horse-Rider — Only Oneness — A Ride Being Ridden, the Riding Rider Is, In Itself, The Ride. The Silent Oneness. An Essay.

It’s a really nice computer. Get back to work.

Like you other guys I don't need An iPhone on steroids - I already have the iphone, which does me great, and my macbook air which travels the globe with me...so no use for an oversized PDA really...

The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.

The iPod touch is kind of in between an iPhone and a MacBook.

I guess that's the problem with rumor and hype, you end up disappointed.

"No expectations, no disappointments."

phonebook...........

Thank you all for your insights, and a special thanks to you Mr Hitler! I enjoyed the Nazi take on the iPad. LMAO

The jury seems to be in. The iPad has many limitations. It is not the revolutionary product that we dreamed of!

Sorry Apple, I'll pass on this one for a while.

By the way my Apple friends, Not to change the subject but, When are you going to sell the iPhone through other carriers beside AT&T?
I would buy an iPhone if I didn't have to leave Verizon!

I think this guy summed it up pretty well.

My Initial Thoughts on Apple’s Announcement Regarding the Release of the iPad, Viz. the High Likelihood of Its Impact As a Paradigm-Shifting, Next-Generation Appliance Poised to Upend the Traditional Notion of Computers As Per Se Computers; Plus, Educated Commentary on the Complex and Sometimes Adversarial Relationships Between Humans and the Machines That They Build to Use and to — Amongst Other Things — Build Still More Machines for Using and Building Other Machines; Plus, a Brief, but Memorable Meditation on the Importance of Careful Design, High Build Quality, Humane and User-Focused HCI Iteration Processes, and Practical Affordances in Order to Provide Users at Every Level of Expertise or Interest the Ineffable Touch of Grace and Humanity That — at Its Most Sublime — Gifts Us With a Quietly Satisfying Feeling of Total Engagement. Which Feeling Is Only Possible When One’s Tools and Technology Decisions Support an Elegant, Absorbing, and Seamlessly Friction-Free Flow State In Which One Can Utterly Disappear — In Which State One May Briefly Enjoy the Weightless Levity of Total Unity — In Which State, Rather Than Feeling One is “Doing Work,” One Mindfully Observes “Work Being Done” — In Which State Tool and Tool-Handler Are No More Distinguishable Than Those Elemental Singularities and Gapless Gestalts That Constitute Our Core Drive to Create — In Which State, Process is Product as well as Processor and Processed — Where, Like the Mythical Centaur, We Are Both/And (and Neither/Nor) Horse And/Nor/Neither Rider Nor Horse-Rider — Only Oneness — A Ride Being Ridden, the Riding Rider Is, In Itself, The Ride. The Silent Oneness. An Essay.

It’s a really nice computer. Get back to work.

Grunt, I love you man!!!

Thank you all for your insights, and a special thanks to you Mr Hitler! I enjoyed the Nazi take on the iPad. LMAO

The jury seems to be in. The iPad has many limitations. It is not the revolutionary product that we dreamed of!

Sorry Apple, I'll pass on this one for a while.

By the way my Apple friends, Not to change the subject but, When are you going to sell the iPhone through other carriers beside AT&T?
I would buy an iPhone if I didn't have to leave Verizon!

Keep an eye on www.macrumor.com....they seem to get the poop before others. If you go there you can search that subject.

It appears that Apple may lower the price on the iPad before it goes on sale.
Consumer interest hasn't been as high as Apple expected.

This is by far the single biggest problem with the iPhone and iPod Touch. The fact that they still haven't fixed it definitely puts me off even considering buying one. I don't have an iPhone, but even on my iPod touch, this is an extremely annoying "feature"; I have to close one app to check another. The only thing that can run in the background is the music player.

Hold on - the iPad, the iPhone, the iTouch all have multitasking. You can listen to your iPod while you write an email. You can send an email and, before it finishes, start playing a game. The thing that it doesn't have is multitasking for every application. I'd argue that that's something most people don't need. However, I wish Apple would open it up to other apps (like Pandora, for example).

I'm a longtime Apple fan, but this product leaves me quite mystified. Others have already pointed out that it falls between an iPhone and a MacBook, but is inferior to both in terms of pocketability (iPhone) and usability (MacBook). How did the powers-that-be at Apple think this was a good idea when the average consumer quickly determines that it was not? I predict this will be a total bust, and will eventually be added to the shortlist of Apple bombs.

I'm a longtime Apple fan, but this product leaves me quite mystified. Others have already pointed out that it falls between an iPhone and a MacBook, but is inferior to both in terms of pocketability (iPhone) and usability (MacBook). How did the powers-that-be at Apple think this was a good idea when the average consumer quickly determines that it was not? I predict this will be a total bust, and will eventually be added to the shortlist of Apple bombs.

I think at the current pricing it may have problems, but Apple is aware of the lack of enthusiasm and is already talking price reduction.

I kind of wondered about that also. Im sure that Apple did market research and they know this too. How could they not?
Apple seems to come out with a lot of products that don't appeal to the masses.
I still love my MacBook! Even though I paid twice as much for it as I would have for a competitors similar laptop.
I guess that when you have a product bass that is so popular, You have the freedom to take large risks.
Apple must feel that they are filling a void in the marketplace with the iPad. The people that really want one will buy it and they will like it. Im sure that it will work well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess we'll see how it pans out. Even if it goes nowhere, Apple has otherwise been on a pretty impressive winning streak for a while now.

Back