PDP bass drum skins

pdp_sb.jpg

Hi all. So that is the exact same bass drum I have. 18x22"
the problem is that no matter how I tune it, it sounds incredibly boomy, flat, and sloppy (currently have on factory heads). I am looking for a more punchy and aggressive attack. Not extremely so, just less....blah.
If any of you PDP owners, or anyone, has any advice on which specific heads to get for batter and resonant, and what kind of tunings you used, that would be awesome!!
Thanks!

pdp_sb.jpg

Hi all. So that is the exact same bass drum I have. 18x22"
the problem is that no matter how I tune it, it sounds incredibly boomy, flat, and sloppy (currently have on factory heads). I am looking for a more punchy and aggressive attack. Not extremely so, just less....blah.
If any of you PDP owners, or anyone, has any advice on which specific heads to get for batter and resonant, and what kind of tunings you used, that would be awesome!!
Thanks!

you don't need to buy new heads yet , there are a couple of things you can do to get the sound you want:

first I'd make a port hole (the bigger the less resonant your bass drum become , I'd start with a 5" hole and try , remember you can make it bigger , but you cant make it smaller , so don't go to big at first)

second , use a bassdrum patch , they will make your heads last longer and some of them also incease the attack without changing the resonance of the drum (one of the best ones is Evans EQ AF Kevlar Pedal Patch )

you can also change you bass drum beatters ( wood beaters are the ones that provide more attack , felt are the softer and rubber ones are in the middle) , you can add some muffle inside the drum , and as you said you can change your heads.

now talking about heads , I think that you'd like the sonud of a muffled clear double ply , every brand offer their own version (remo powerstroke , aquarian superkick , rmv fx , etc).

as regards tunnig , try to tune your resonant haed 1 to 3 notes lower than the batter haed , this will increase the lower frecuencies , and you will get rid of the high pitch end of the bass drum.

hope you find this useful , and remember that heads are only part of the equation .

Much as I love my PDP CX kit that still sounds fantastic with the 5 yr. old stock tom heads [see older threads were I sing the praises], I never did get a decent BD sound with the stock heads and included muffling pillow. I replaced them with PS3 front & back, no pillow or any other muffling; golden. I'll admit it's not as good as my Pro-M BD with the same heads, though.

This is the basic kit I played before I made my Ludwig kit,...it's the kit I still play for rehearsals with my band.

It's easy .... Aquarian Super Kick II. Nothing inside is required, play it wide open! I prefer a 'more-dead' feel on the batter, so I cut a 8-10" hole in the reso (factory head) before I got the customized Aquarian Resonator ported reso.

You don't NEED teh Resonator,..the factory reso will be fine, but ....SKII will do the trick

I had the same issue. Solution: Evans GMAD batter and a tiny washcloth barely touching the reso. Perfect for me.

PS3 front and back. Samll end of an Evans EQ pad on the batter

Back