Putting myself out there ( uncle Larry, this ones for you)

Congrats! Very well written and it should help "dial-in" prospects. This should be very exciting for you. From my experience, nothing will do more to improve your playing than playing with others. Great fun.

Here's my Craigslist drummer ad, which is a takeoff spoof of the bass player ad that's been circulating out there for a while now.

DRUMMER FOR PAYING GIGS ONLY - ATLANTA METRO

Drummer available for PAYING GIGS ONLY. I play in 4/4 or 4/4 with a slight swing. If your songs are not in 4/4 then please transpose them into 4/4. If your song is in 3/4 or anything off-the-wall like 7/8, I will probably sit out that song or just play tambourine. Or I could learn those songs for $30 each. If you want me to do fancy stuff like go back and forth between 4/4 and 4/4 with a little swing, forget it because I'm a "pocket" player. By the way, Rush songs or any progressive or metal stuff has a lot of notes, so I usually go about a penny a note. It works out to about $50 bucks a song. Encores are free though.

Minimum $100 per gig within a 5 mile radius of zip code 30188. $5/mile travel charge for other areas of town.
Please make sure your gigs are on an MARTA route or you can pick me up at my place. Must be home by 11 PM due to previous legal hassles. No gigs within 500 yards of schools, parks or playgrounds.

Please send all inquiries to [email protected]

;-)

Last edited:
You are a saga. And a lot of other things too, mostly good lol. Hey Mary, don't underestimate the benefit of falling flat on your face. It's fear of avoiding falling flat on your face that's the real danger.

Well said.

I've fallen on my face more times than I'd like to admit, but at least I had some interesting stories on the way down. haha.

DRUMMER FOR PAYING GIGS ONLY - ATLANTA METRO ...
Pretty funny! Wasn't there some controversy a few years ago about some violin players in some symphony somewhere wanting extra pay based on all the extra notes they had to play? Oh, the unfairness of it all! I wonder how that panned out for them ... You should update your ad to include something along those lines :D

Nice job, Mary - here's hoping everything goes well enough to get some regular jams happening! :)

Mary, I thinks it's really cool that you're putting yourself out there. I really need to do the same thing - I think it will push me in other directions.

Would you mind if I "borrowed" the gist of your ad and kind of reworked it for a 50 year old male? I'm not talking plagiarism or anything, but you really just nailed the hell out of it.

You are inspiring me to become more than a Woodshed Warrior. Thank you.

Good luck in your pursuit!!

Mary, I thinks it's really cool that you're putting yourself out there. I really need to do the same thing - I think it will push me in other directions.

Would you mind if I "borrowed" the gist of your ad and kind of reworked it for a 50 year old male? I'm not talking plagiarism or anything, but you really just nailed the hell out of it.

You are inspiring me to become more than a Woodshed Warrior. Thank you.

Good luck in your pursuit!!

Please do...after all I stole the opening line from something that Uncle Larry wrote for me to encourage me to to place the ad in the first place. Good luck.

Please do...after all I stole the opening line from something that Uncle Larry wrote for me to encourage me to to place the ad in the first place. Good luck.

Thanks!!

If I can screw up my courage tight enough I plan on doing this.

I'll keep you posted if/when it happens.

I really hope all goes well! Looking forward to hearing all about it :)

And can I just say how great it is to read all the comments you've received. Obviously, this is YOUR story (saga!) Mary, but it clearly touches a lot of people - those who have inspired you, and those who are being inspired by you. I'm new here and this is the first thread in this forum that I've responded to, but from what I've read here this is a helpful, encouraging place to be.

UPDATE:

Met with the duo earlier tonight. It went fantastic. They gave me a partial set list and they are right in my wheelhouse (except for maybe the Lady Gaga - lol) They seem pretty laid back and it doesn't seem like their expectations are anything beyond my abilities (keep a steady beat, be willing to play a variety of music, have fun). They are coming to the house on Saturday and we'll try a few songs and see how it goes but I'm thinking this could be a really good fit. The boyfriend will have to sit this one out as this is an all-girl band, which in all reality is probably another plus for me. I'll feel more comfortable.

I have to admit, I'm more excited about this than I thought I would be. I'm really hoping this happens. I'll let you know how Saturday goes. :)

OMG we're witnessing a real live hook here. You're gonna get hooked, I can see it coming. There's no turning back now I'm afraid....

A trio is the best too. Not too much to get together, everybody has their own sonic space.

You need a PA now lol. With mics and stands and cables and clips and wind screens and mixers and amps and speakers and more cabling.

Digging this. I can't wait for the YouTube clips =) have a lot of fun!!!

UPDATE:

Met with the duo earlier tonight. It went fantastic.
Sounds like things are coming right along. Guitar, keys, and drums. Great combo. Best of luck.​
How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb? None ..... the keyboard player does it with their left hand.​

Getting together with actual people to play - that's really the best part of this whole drumming thing for me.

Hope it works out well, best of luck to you!

I

This is a little more realistic than trying to get to England to drive the van for Andy.
There you go Mary, you've already stolen my celebrity van driver ;) ;) :)

Hey girl, way to go! I'm looking forward to hearing how Saturday goes for sure. Relax, smile, & have fun with it. As Larry said, you're about to be hooked!!!!!

Oooh this is exciting! Brilliant!

I can fly out there and do your sound. How's that for support?

This is a little more realistic than trying to get to England to drive the van for Andy.

Hey Bo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvIVZyJe0oA

Fair warning though...might be interesting trying to fit all the equipment in my 2 seater convertible. Maybe we'll need Andy's van after all.

Back