Random thought about Star Trek and a Cymbal

I have trying searching this and have no idea how to really go about finding out, so here it goes.

Has anyone ever noticed how a cymbal mounted on a tilt looks like the USS Enterprise? Is it possible (or does anyone know) if that was the inspiration for its design?

No, Im not high and YES I am serious!

A couple of months ago, I sat on the floor in front of my set and well.......at the right angle it looks like there's something to it.

I dunno....maybe hours of 4WC/SC/Sync combo's has my brain fried.

You mean NCC-1701 (the original) I assume? NCC-1701-D (TNG) was too curvy to really look like a cymbal+stand.

Sorry, no such luck.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the design:

Television seriesStar Trek art Director Matt Jefferies designed the original Enterprise, which in series creator Gene Roddenberry's first series outline drafts was named Yorktown.[4] Jeffries' experience with aviation led to his Enterprise designs being imbued with what he called "aircraft logic".[5] The ship's "NCC-1701" registry number stemmed from "NC" being one of the international aircraft registration codes assigned to aircraft registered in the United States; the second "C" was added for differentiation. The "1701" was chosen in order to avoid any possible ambiguity (according to Jefferies himself, the numbers 3, 6, 8 and 9 are "too easily confused"[6]). Other sources cite it as a reference to the house across the street from where Roddenberry grew up,[7] while another account gives it as the street address of Linwood Dunn.[8] Jefferies' own sketches provide the explanation that it was his 17th cruiser design with the first serial number of that series: 1701.[9] The Making of Star Trek, however, specifically states that "NCC" stands for "Naval Construction Contract".[10]

The original production model on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space MuseumThe first miniature built for the pilot episode "The Cage" (1965) was unlit and approximately 3 feet (90 cm) long. It was modified during the course of the series to match the changes eventually made to the larger miniature, and appears on-set in "Requiem for Methuselah" (1969). The second miniature built for the first pilot measures 11 feet 2 inches (3.40 m) long and was built by a small crew of model makers, Volmer Jensen, Mel Keys, and Vernon Sion, and supervised by Richard Datin, working out of Jensen's model shop in Burbank, California. It was initially filmed by both Howard A. Anderson and Linwood G. Dunn at Dunn's Film Effects of Hollywood facility, who also re-filmed later more-elaborate models of the ship, generating a variety of stock footage that could be used in later episodes.

Initially, the model was static and had no electronics. For the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (1966), various details were altered, and the starboard window ports and running lights were internally illuminated. When the series was picked up and went into production, the model was altered yet again. These alterations included the addition of translucent domes and blinking lights at the forward ends of the engine nacelles, smaller domes at the stern end of the engine nacelles, a shorter bridge dome, and a smaller deflector/sensor dish. Save for re-used footage from the two pilot episodes, this was the appearance of the ship throughout the series. The 11-foot model stands in the Gift Shop downstairs at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.[11]

Greg Jein created a model of the original Enterprise for the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" (1996). Jein's model was built to be exactly half the size of the larger of the two original models, and later appeared in the 1998 Star Trek wall calendar. In addition, a CGI model of the ship makes a brief cameo appearance at the end of the final episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, "These Are the Voyages..." (2005), and another CGI version was created for remastered episodes of the original Star Trek, based on the model in the Smithsonian

Back