Remote SPEEDY Hi Hat

OK REMOTE SPEEDY users, we get there's some good with this design... now what don't you like about this hi hat, no matter how small, nit picky, what are the cons?

Les--

Here's a nit-pick for you: since owning a Speedy Hat, I might say it could come with a shorter pull-rod. However, this seems to be true of many pull-rods--and is easily remedied with a saw and a file. I cut mine shorter, and it now fits under any cymbal.

As for the foot pedal (in reply to jodgey4):

I've been staring at this pedal for some months now, and it doesn't look cheap. I use a Pearl bass pedal, and the Speedy foot board matches well. It also goes nicely with DW boards--like on Bill Bachman's kits. At the Chicago Drum Show, it was paired on a kit with a Yamaha pedal (silver board) and looked great.

Anyone using special edition gold or polished-chrome pedals will see a difference, of course--but this really is a minor consideration; the black finish with its brushed-metal touches is universally appealing. I think Bill Bachman is going to have a PASIC booth again this year. You can see it there (and also try it out).

In talking to many, many people about this hi-hat, I have found that people are hesitant to make a change mainly for that reason--they are hesitant to make a change. Most of us seem to prefer what we are familiar with--for better and for worse.

Let me make my own confession: after first obtaining a Speedy Hat, it sat in my basement for six weeks before I put it on my kit. Why? I don't know--other than that I guess that I am a creature of habit, and was hesitant to change!

When I put it up, however, I fell in love right away. The Remote Speedy Hat is super responsive and quick, and my hats are also now in perfect position. No more hand-crossing. I am a free man.

Check out Bill Bachman living in freedom in the video below.

Remote-Speedy-Hat-freedom in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyIGMHYPWA

I might say it could come with a shorter pull-rod. However, this seems to be true of many pull-rods--and is easily remedied with a saw and a file.

Its true with every HH, manufactures can't guess what you'll need, they have error on the high side.

SPEEDY'S still batting 1.000

Don't get me wrong, Les is one of my favorites on here because of how much he despises Ludwig, as well as many of his other views that don't line up with mine. His criticism is always very well thought out, he's a smart man. I never doubted the quality of the pedal, but I'd have to slap some kind of sticker on there to keep it from looking too bland. If I ever wanted to get a new hi-hat stand, it'd be a Vintage Ludwig stand to match my Speed King or I'd spend the extra money to get this. Still, it's a change I'd be willing to try. This is by far the best remote hi-hat set-up you can get!

Last edited:
I'd say, and this only my observation from the Chicago show, is that it would be a bit of a pain to pack up to put in a case. Even my big road case. I'd have to find a new spot for the stand. A cable hat can be curled up/rolled and fit relatively easily in there, this one however, and I didn't mess with it too much cause I wasn't ready to purchase one, looked to take more time to take apart.

I absolutely hate the idea of having to completely remove screws to pack it up. And while these screw are still attached to the stand by straps or cables, I would think they would have the potential to get caught on other stands in a regular case after bouncing down the road as gear always seems to settle a bit in the case. What happens when these cables break? Now you have to keep track of the screws, which are small...

Rant/observations/thoughts over....

Hey guys, here's some feedback based on the last few posts:

The pedal is solid as a rock. We thought about a logo sticker, but it'd get destroyed pretty quickly with a foot all over it. Maybe down the road a cosmetic change with our logo could happen, but right now all it does is work and no one has ever broken anything on the Speedy Hat.

As for set up and tear down, I'm glad you mentioned that it struck you as difficult. At the next show I'll have one in tear down mode to show that it's actually really quick and easy. Oh, and it weighs a lot less than a straight hi hat stand and it doesn't take up much space at all in the hardware bag.

Here's how tear down and set up work: To tear down I unscrew the wing screw at the foot pedal end and I've been leaving that one hanging off with the burly leather strap keeping it safely attached (I could easily screw it back in if I wanted, but it doesn't matter). I then slightly loosen the wing screw on the hi hat stand end and fold the brace up parallel to the hi hat tube and tighten it back down. I unclamp the entire upper section from the cymbal stand and then throw the two halfs of the speedy hat with the wire connecting them in my hardware bag along with everything else. Set up is the opposite, 3 steps and you're playing.

I've been using the same exact Speedy Hat in my hardware bag for going on a year now, it's been played out as often as five times a week getting set up, torn down and tortured. I intentionally throw other stands on it and yank things out of the bag if they catch the cable--I've literally been trying to break it. (If anything goes wrong, I want it to be on me and not somebody who spent their hard-earned money on it.) I've been unsuccessful though, I've never broken anything or lost any part and neither has anybody else. There are no little parts to keep track of since it all stays together and the cable takes it like a champ and comes back for more.

I idiot-proofed it and overbuilt it, and yes we're batting 1000 with both reviews and durability!

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's a bit of feedback to answer some questions that have come up:

The exposed cable is not a problem. It'll take up to 480 pounds before it breaks and is designed to be very flexible and is extremely hard to kink. I've been throwing it in my hardware bag and tossing other stands on it and giving it as much abuse as possible trying to break anything to no avail. I'm somewhat OCD and make everything as bulletproof as possible--success!

As for set up, I have a long clamp that I leave attached to the upper end and when I set up (or clamp it on to the house kit's cymbal stand) I simply loosen and fold down the brace and attach it to the foot pedal section. Everything else is preset and locked in place so set up is extremely fast and it weighs very little in the hardware bag.

As for buying multiple speedy hats, one of my first customers ordered two more a while back in order to cover his studio kit, practice kit, and gig bag. Another customer has two, one ready for travel and one permanently at the home monster kit.

It makes everything you play now easier and opens up many new musical possibilities. When I have to play a normal straight hi hat stand I can play just fine, but I'm amazed at how much new vocab I have to edit out because it doesn't work with my left hand restricted underneath the right. Many have found it to be a game-changing piece of gear!

Here's another review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbDOQfyXhJA

Well if Jared Falk is playing one.........

I might say it could come with a shorter pull-rod.

High and inside, ball one.

...but I'd have to slap some kind of sticker on there to keep it from looking too bland.

Ball down low. 2-0

Personally, I don't like the price.

Wild pitch, score this as a past ball. 3-0

Well if Jared Falk is playing one.........

Big swing and a miss! 3 balls one strike

I absolutely hate the idea of having to completely remove screws to pack it up. And while these screw are still attached to the stand by straps or cables, I would think they would have the potential to get caught on other stands in a regular case after bouncing down the road as gear always seems to settle a bit in the case.

Check swing. Checking with 3rd base to see if he went around.

SPEEDY 3-1 at this at bat.

Back