Stewart Copeland

Cool...glad you like the videos. I was fortunate enough to see The Police live during the Synchronicity tour, but I wish I could have seen them earlier in one of those small venues.

I wish I had seen the Synchronicity tour, I did see them on the Ghost In The Machine tour though. That show is the reason I play drums today. I was blown away!! Thanks again for the links.

For any of you guys with the Synchronicity dvd, go to the alternate angle tracks and watch Synchronicity II on angles 2 and 3, you can catch some decent angle 4, but only at the very beginning. Check out 2 and 3 near the end, that left hand is ridiculous.

The Police reunite for Grammys

The Police reunite for Grammys

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Police will reunite to open the 49th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on February 11, The Recording Academy said on Tuesday, fueling speculation that the hit 1980s band is planning a reunion tour.

The five-time Grammy-winning band, led by frontman Sting, with Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers, split up in 1984 and was last seen playing together in 2003 to commemorate their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The band, known for such hits as "Roxanne," "Message in a Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take," has never performed at the annual telecast for the music industry's most prestigious awards that are given by The Recording Academy.

"The Police join a stellar list of past Grammy Awards opening acts, which includes reunions and once-in-a-lifetime performances," said a statement from the academy.

Members of The Police have so far refused to confirm rumors that the band is planning to reunite in 2007 for dates in Britain and the United States, with this year marking the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne."

Last month the band's label A&M Records, which is owned by Universal Music, said in a statement that they would mark the year somehow.

"It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalog of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided," said the statement.

Re: The Police reunite for Grammys

Members of The Police have so far refused to confirm rumors that the band is planning to reunite in 2007 for dates in Britain and the United States, with this year marking the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne."
I'd buy tickets for that in a heartbeat.

This news is so awesome. I cant wait to see The Police live again. I assume there will be a live DVD eventually as well. Sweet!!

Did anyone see the Police on the Grammy's last night? I have to say I thought they sounded great, and Stewart is still the man! It was really cool to see Stewart playing again he is just a phenominal player. They also announced today a reunion tour this summer, I definately have to check it out. Stewart is going to show all of the top rock drummers out there how it's done!

I haven't seen them on the Grammy's, but I have seen a few excerpts on the news in which they sounded real good and have heard many fans say that Stewart has still got the magic.

I have to be honest in saying that I was at the same time exited and afraid of this reunion, because I was indeed wondering if Stewart (and the hole band) would still be up to it knowing that he had not really been drumming that much in the past years. I am so glad to hear that he has not lost that "Stew magic." (lol)

If they made a live Dvd that would be great!

Here's a gem I found on jambase: http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9947

Apparently, Stewart has some issues with jazz...

Seems more like a vandetta from all that hatred toward jazz musicians. S'pose it could be from his up-bringing or something...

Still, he's a great drummer and the power from that traditional whip could put any matched grip player to shame...

That was a great interview haha, made me laugh. Best line though: "Rock musicians get laid, Jazz musicians don't". THAT made me chuckle.

I'm not going to let it bother me, it's his opinion and nothing other than that. I love Copeland as a drummer, but his attitude is something else.

I'm not going to let it bother me, it's his opinion and nothing other than that. I love Copeland as a drummer, but his attitude is something else.

yeah.. you either agree or you dont.. we cant persuade him to think different, even if we wanted. :) no point in arguing that.

was this a put on by copeland? there is good and bad in every music genre..thank goodness he had the common sense not to diss de johnette or tony to the interviewer. he would have been laughing stock if he had done that. and his having played with stanley clarke, a negative comment towards his talent would have been stupid. but he's right somewhat about miles.. the album "four and more" recorded live with tony and others was very sloppy playing by miles...missed notes, out of tune...but tony williams and the rest of the band was superb. maybe that's what he was alluding to,not ALL jazz players. it sounds like he has some kind of deep-seated rebellion against jazz going back to his childhood.

Steward Copeland-based Concept lesson

One thing you might want to doing for these is play a groove several times through, then stop, then say how you're going to change it, then play through that new groove and then add fills. That might have a little more educational value.

Got the new Rhythm yesterday got a long but fairly mediocre interview with Copeland. I found this interesting though - his current favourite drummers are Igor Cavalera (Sepultura), Chris Adler (Lamb of God), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Danny Carey (Tool) and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters).

'While I'm into metal, I'm also listening to Latin American and Bluegrass'

Got the new Rhythm yesterday got a long but fairly mediocre interview with Copeland. I found this interesting though - his current favourite drummers are Igor Cavalera (Sepultura), Chris Adler (Lamb of God), Joey Jordison (Slipknot), Danny Carey (Tool) and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters).

'While I'm into metal, I'm also listening to Latin American and Bluegrass'
That is interesting. I would pick Copeland over any of those guys. Carey might be a close runner up, though.

Back