drum hoops

jakester

i was looking to get some wood hoops for my snare drum. i was wondering what was the main diffrience between wood hoops and metal hoops. does it make a big difference in the sound of the drum or does it just make it look cooler.

hey none of thoes were any help does any one else have any other info cause i want to know what is the diffrient between wood and metal hoops on a snare drum

I'll bet you London to a brick you didn't read them all.

I know there's threads in there discussing the tonal qualities and the differences between both....I've read them. Have another look....or are you just telling me you'd prefer that I spend half the day looking for you?

Not all answers drop from the sky straight into your lap mate....sometimes it pays to research. The answers to pretty much every concievable question are already here on the forum. You've just gotta look for them. Try your own search by using keys words like "wood vs triple flanged' or "drum hoops" or "wooden hoops"

Agreed. Jakester, your posts are incoherent and difficult to read. I'm not going to go around spoon-feeding you answers. There are dozens of threads on these subjects already.

OK, I feel a little guilty as my post may have been a tad harsh. But I think it was a point well made....you guys have gotta get off your arses and check stuff out for yourselves. You're supposed to be the "internet generation" and none of you can use the bloody thing. ;-)

Here's a good one: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48895&highlight=wood+hoops

And another: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52322&highlight=wood+hoops

Seriously, that took two mins. It's not hard.

Harsh would be throwing him off a car park. Oh - I'm watching 'Get Carter' (the proper one) so that may have something to do with it.

it seems like the only big difference is the look of the drum

it seems like the only big difference is the look of the drum

Here's a few points I've garnished outta re-reading some of the posts:

"Wooden hoops give more "wood", darkness and roundess to the sound, and they remove some of the highest frequencies and metallic quality from the attack -- and rim sounds are quite spectacular... The difference in sound isn't earth-shattering, but none the less audible."

"Great rim click
Let the drum resonate (complement the sound)
Warmer, rounder and overall ‘woodier’ sound
Stable tuning and even sound
Durable
Thicker sound
Darker sound
Ping-y-er rim shorts
Phatter cross-sticks"

"They seem to extend the shell and allow it to vibrate more, giving it more resonance."

"Wood hoops will change tonally depending on wood type and construction, but generally they open a drum up as they resonant at approx. the same rate and tone as the shells. They a make drums sound organic, rich, full and very musical, but still have a nice "woodblocky" bite."

Back