Finally, High quality Guru prototype kit pictures.

How much does the kick weigh?
Pretty heavy kicky flicky. That said, probably ony around the same weight as an average thickness stave shelled version, but that's still a fair bit heavier than a ply drum. It's only a 20", so it's not that bad. I'm guessing 50% of the weight is in the chassis & spurs, as the shell weighs almost nothing.

lovely looking drums, bet they sound great!

Holy cow! That kit looks mean. I can't get over the size of the wood hoops. They are huge.
Nice contrast with the black (wraps things?).
You think your better than me because you got 3 snare throw -offs?!?!

Holy cow! That kit looks mean. I can't get over the size of the wood hoops. They are huge.
Nice contrast with the black (wraps things?).
You think your better than me because you got 3 snare throw -offs?!?!
The hoops are that size because they contain the tensioning system. The black wrap thingy is the chassis that the head assemblies & free floating shells are suspended by.

Thanks toddy, got to fly, but I'll get back to you on your PM.

I think it might look better with Fiberskyn heads, but that's my only gripe. And if that's just the bare mahogany, that is freaking gorgeous!!!

dood!

hands down: coolest custom kit I've ever had the priviledge to lay eyes on!

I too, can't wait to hear 'em!!!

Andy, you've created a work of art you know.... I think you could get $100,000 USD for just the drums alone. They are the most uniquely beautiful set of drums ever built in the history of man IMO, and if you would sell them, I would auction them off starting at no less than 50,000.

They, like you, are amazing.
Shock and awe lol

Pretty heavy kicky flicky. That said, probably ony around the same weight as an average thickness stave shelled version, but that's still a fair bit heavier than a ply drum. It's only a 20", so it's not that bad. I'm guessing 50% of the weight is in the chassis & spurs, as the shell weighs almost nothing.

Thanks,was just wondering if it was as heavy as the Sonor signature series kicks from back in the day.. I loved them drums!

That kit is Freakin Gorgeous man!
That is all that I have to say.

Andy, you've created a work of art you know.... I think you could get $100,000 USD for just the drums alone. They are the most uniquely beautiful set of drums ever built in the history of man IMO, and if you would sell them, I would auction them off starting at no less than 50,000.

They, like you, are amazing.
Shock and awe lol
Wow, that's a lot of money Larry. They're nice, but----------

I was thinking that, because the production price is so high, there wouldn't be a market for them in their exact present form. Certainly, drums to an equal, if not better performance can be made for a lot less using the lessons learnt from this kit. Commercially, this exact kit would need to sell at DW X 2+ to even consider construction to order, & that's a lot for a kit. But who knows, maybe there are players out there who'd go that extra mile. The cage chassis is the biggest additional cost factor. I'm very interested in the next generation of this kit construction, but, you never know, perhaps we could offer an "Andy" special edition, lol!

A few points; Thanks to everyone who's responded since yesterday, glad y'all like it.
Yes, it's the original mahogany colour. A coat of clear hardening oil, & nothing more. Also glad that a few seem to like the rack too. It's a split decision on that one, that's why I posted it as a four piece.

Cheers, Andy.

Beautiful KIS,

I'm really fond of the 4 piece set up, just stunning. Can't wait for the video/audio. Hats off to your design and Guru Drumworks pulling off a work of art.

Crap...
I just told Gruntersdad he his Bumblebee kit was the most beautiful set of drums I've ever seen. Those are lovely, I do believe I'll also eagerly await sound samples!

Thanks guys for your lovely comments, & BTW, Grunt's Bumblebee kit is a real honey!

As for value/price & all that stuff, the cost of putting this kit together was high, but it was always going to be. Bespoke tooling for profiles, CAD time, etc really add to the project cost. The kit only really has value to me. Dean & I are continuing to cooperate, & the evolution of this design will hopefully produce super high quality drums at a price that makes sense. Early days on that. Anyhow, you'll all be able to cast your critical ears over the results pretty soon, & I'm very interested to hear your opinions.

So Andy, after all is said and done, a recap please.

The kick drum exceeded expectations, right?
The rack toms did not meet expectations, correct?
Would you say the racks still sound better than a standard tom? Worse?
What about the floor tom, better than standard, same as, or worse?

Daaaaaaaaayum.

That's a pretty nice-looking kit you got there, KIS! The finishless part makes it all the prettier, too.

I've read some interesting things that you've mentioned about this kit, in particular that the depth of a drum determines its voice. I'll have to try that out for myself sometime. The hoops seem huge, and I wonder what kind of effect that has on sustain and tone, seeing as they're still wood. And how much weight do the cages add, and what material are they made out of?

The amount of thought that you put into this could qualify it as a real work of art, man. I hope you enjoy the kit.

Back