Give me some truth: Resonant Heads

I think u might be impressed with Evans EC2 batters with hazy 300 or 200 resos. Seems to sound best for me on larger toms.

Snare resos? Interesting choice. What lead you to experiement with that combo on your toms and what sort of sound does it give you when compared to, say a G1 or EC resonant etc?

I appreciate the suggestions. I like to tune fairly low so I like the thicker batter heads for that reason. I guess I'll have to experiment with some of these reso options to see what aids the most with definition.

Snare resos? Interesting choice. What lead you to experiement with that combo on your toms and what sort of sound does it give you when compared to, say a G1 or EC resonant etc?

I've done this. Lasted all of 30 seconds and took them off. You get more articulation, but the note just dies right out. Even diplomats, with their 7.5 mil film, I thought the notes died out way too fast.

get more articulation, but the note just dies right out. Even diplomats, with their 7.5 mil film, I thought the notes died out way too fast.
If you are using a coated Ambassador single ply on top and a Diplomat below combined with tight tuning, that head combination works well.
For loose tuning not so good.

Maybe try some coated ones if you want to try something different. As said before, the Ludwig stock CMs aren't that bad, but I've had Coated Ambassadors as reso heads (with Pinstripes on top) for a good while now on my Superstar and they are a dream.

I usually update the heads on the new kits I buy, if I think I need to. This really depends on the heads that come complete with the drums. My Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums came with Evans G2 clear over G1 clear, and they did also come with the Tama logo on the heads. They sounded great, so I didn't change them until the original batters wore out.

My Yamaha kit sounded alright with the Remo Ambassador heads on both tops and bottoms, but at that time I preferred Evans, so I changed them that very same day to G1 coated over G1 clear heads on the toms while they were stripped down.

My DW Classic set of drums came with DW (Remo) coated heads over DW (Remo) coated heads which I loved the sound, so no change was made here for a couple of months.

My Gretsch Renown kit came with Evans G clear something, I can't remember if they were 1 or 2, but the resonant heads were not labeled and were too thin for me to get a more ballsy sound that I liked. I immediately changed the resonant heads to the heavier 10mil Evans G1 clear.

Finally my most recent set of drums, my Ludwig Classic Maple came with Ludwig "medium" heads, I hated them. As the last couple of drums arrived the Ludwig medium heads could not be tuned to match the sonic qualities of the former drums. At this point all but my snare drum's batter, resonant and bass drum resonant heads got changed to Evans G1 coated over G1 clear and then later to G2 coated over the G1clear. This was almost maddening, lol.

So this is my criteria. It all really boils down to their sound. The resonant heads can and will make an appreciable difference in the drums sound. Also great tuning should never be overlooked.

Dennis

So, just to close the loop, I ended up with G1 clears. Boring I know. But they did improve the sound for sure vs. the ludwig heads.

For the snare side, I love the response of the Evans Genera 200 and 300. I really look for sensitivity, so I go with the 2 mil 200's. Best kept secret at Evans is the Strata 1000 for batter. Closer to natural skin, nice warmth, quick response. Perhaps one of the best jazz heads, or trio/quartet heads going. Also great for concert work, and the standard head at Black Swamp Percussion. Good with brushes too...

So far it's anonymous. :)

Unanimous? Lol

Just messin with you. But once again, yes, change from the stock heads. I've always had a problem switching out bass reso's though... I WANT the manufacturer logo on the front. So I just leave it.

Hi Kelly, I was joking. Hence the smiley face.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the same issue as you with the bass reso.

Back