Does anyone use the Regal Tip (by Calato) sticks?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Ok...so I have a brand new brick of 5A's that I won't I probably won't be using.
After about a 25 year drumming break, I started again with 5A's (as suggested by GC Guy) - heck, 25 years away from the game - I'm clueless...

Anyways, about 2 years later now, I'm getting my licks and new grooves going. I wondered if perhaps a slightly larger and heavier stick would help my finger technique and speed.

So I pop in to another locally owned shop, and the owner hands me some Regal Tip 5B's.
I hold them, and right away the texture or finish on them attached nicely to my hands and fingers. He says the Regal Tips are the ones that have that texture, because I complained that gradually the sticks slide out of my hands when I'm practicing rudiments.

I like these sticks, though much more expensive at about $8-9 / pair.

Do you drummies know of any other sticks that have this same texture (slip resistant), but better priced? I'd be using the 5B's. MF and Sam Ash didn't have them in bricks.

Thanks again!

I like these sticks, though much more expensive at about $8-9 / pair.

Do you drummies know of any other sticks that have this same texture (slip resistant), but better priced? I'd be using the 5B's. MF and Sam Ash didn't have them in bricks.

Thanks again!

I got 24 pairs of assorted sizes of regal tip sticks for right around 1$ a pair a few months ago from a closing store. I have mostly used the Jazz and 7A sizes. I like them I know people call them "regal slip", but I haven't had any issues. For the price I got there amazing. I don't know of other sticks that have the same kind of lacquer finish these have, or at-least one that feels the same way. Most other normal series sticks feel much "dryer" to me. Other sticks that claim "non slip" are almost polar opposites of the standard regal tips, like the nude Vater series unfinished sticks or the weird rubber Zildjian dips no? Are you using the standard Regal tip 5b?

At 8-9$ though, is that really that much more than most normal priced major manufactures sticks? Are you comparing brick price or solo price? If it's 1-2$ difference and you like them stick with them.

I got 24 pairs of assorted sizes of regal tip sticks for right around 1$ a pair a few months ago from a closing store. I have mostly used the Jazz and 7A sizes. I like them I know people call them "regal slip", but I haven't had any issues. For the price I got there amazing. I don't know of other sticks that have the same kind of lacquer finish these have, or at-least one that feels the same way. Most other normal series sticks feel much "dryer" to me. Other sticks that claim "non slip" are almost polar opposites of the standard regal tips, like the nude Vater series unfinished sticks or the weird rubber Zildjian dips no? Are you using the standard Regal tip 5b?

At 8-9$ though, is that really that much more than most normal priced major manufactures sticks? Are you comparing brick price or solo price? If it's 1-2$ difference and you like them stick with them.

Whoa! That was a good price! Yeah, they seem to not slip, and keep their grip. I heard their finish was unique to their brand.

I think I'm using the standard 5B size (Classic?). You're right about the brick pricing, maybe I need to consider that. I like 'em. Just ordered 2 more pairs at $6.50 each (along with a snare on this Black Friday)

I only use Regal Tip sticks and I love their finish. My hands don't sweat and the Regal Tip finish heats up and gets tackier and easier to grip the longer I use a pair. The finish allows me to relax my grip more and helps reduce hand cramping.

Regal Tips finish is unique in that they fill the grain on the sticks first and then apply their proprietary finish. Modern Drummer had a very interesting article about them a few years back.

ProMark had a similar finish to Regal Tip before they went to their Millenium II finish which is much thinner and I find causes me to have to grip the sticks harder and hinders my playing.i know a lot of players that have sweaty hands that love this finish, me not so much.

Silver fox drumsticks have a finish that is somewhat similar to Regal Tips and is said to increase durability on their sticks.

I only use Regal Tip sticks and I love their finish. My hands don't sweat and the Regal Tip finish heats up and gets tackier and easier to grip the longer I use a pair. The finish allows me to relax my grip more and helps reduce hand cramping.

Regal Tips finish is unique in that they fill the grain on the sticks first and then apply their proprietary finish. Modern Drummer had a very interesting article about them a few years back.

ProMark had a similar finish to Regal Tip before they went to their Millenium II finish which is much thinner and I find causes me to have to grip the sticks harder and hinders my playing.i know a lot of players that have sweaty hands that love this finish, me not so much.

Silver fox drumsticks have a finish that is somewhat similar to Regal Tips and is said to increase durability on their sticks.

Yeah, I'm sold Rick -

I knew this was the right place to ask this question. Thanks for the brand info - quite informative. All this time, I never thought sticks could affect my playing. But the right sticks, like you said, just form a "oneness" with your hands and is a critical piece of equipment. Glad I learned this finally...

I guess I'll use the brick of 5A's for practice or something.

One of the drummers that I share my jam room with is endorsed by Regal Tip, and besides the length that he uses(15"), I love the finish. It does seem really tacky to my hands. But whats up with the "E-Tip"? I dont know if either of you gentlemen can go into detail or not, but it just struck me as weird to see a sliced up tip on a drumstick...

I dont mean to steal the thread, I just want some more info. The website doesnt explain it....

I've gone through a couple of bricks of Regal Tip 5B Wide, and they're good sticks. I've since taken a liking to the Vic Firth Vic Grip sticks, but I definitely enjoyed the Regal Tips as well. Good sticks, and they held up well to my patented caveman technique.

I am particularly fond of the 5B Maples, but they are hard come by around here. No one in this area is handling Regal sticks right now.

I am particularly fond of the 5B Maples, but they are hard come by around here. No one in this area is handling Regal sticks right now.

Too bad. I did not see the 5B maples on either the Sam Ash site or Musician's Friend.

One of the drummers that I share my jam room with is endorsed by Regal Tip, and besides the length that he uses(15"), I love the finish. It does seem really tacky to my hands. But whats up with the "E-Tip"? I dont know if either of you gentlemen can go into detail or not, but it just struck me as weird to see a sliced up tip on a drumstick...

I dont mean to steal the thread, I just want some more info. The website doesnt explain it....

Yeah, I wondered about those tips too. I think I read somewhere that they slice up the tip to give more of a wooden sound. I guess less nylon hitting the head?

I love the finish on Regal Tips. I guess everyone has different skin, but they practically stick to my hands. ProMarks on the other had, just fly out of my hands. I have a few pair of the E-series sticks. They have the durability of nylon tips, but get a sound closer to wood. Not quite as warm as wood, but not nearly as bright as regular nylons. I prefer the sound of wood tips, but no matter the brand, wood tips only last me a few songs before they start to chip. I feel bad throwing away a stick when the only thing wrong with it is the tip. But they don't sound good at that point, so what are you going to do?

I love the feel of Regal Tip.

If you don't mind a bit of DIY try a marine laquer.
I've used Epifanes Rapidclear (semi-gloss finish) on nude sticks and it feels exactly like the Regal finish.

I love the finish on Regal Tips. I guess everyone has different skin, but they practically stick to my hands. ProMarks on the other had, just fly out of my hands. I have a few pair of the E-series sticks. They have the durability of nylon tips, but get a sound closer to wood. Not quite as warm as wood, but not nearly as bright as regular nylons. I prefer the sound of wood tips, but no matter the brand, wood tips only last me a few songs before they start to chip. I feel bad throwing away a stick when the only thing wrong with it is the tip. But they don't sound good at that point, so what are you going to do?

Yeah, that's the main reason I carry some nylon tips. Not only does a broken tip sound bad, but they can cut into the drum head and then you're getting new heads.

IMO, those Regal Tips feel like a second skin! Funny, because most of the time I ignore the salesguys when they try to push products at the checkout counter. I'm glad I took hold of this stick. Awesome sticks. The other sticks (ProMarks, SP) slip after about 3 measures...

I love the feel of Regal Tip.

If you don't mind a bit of DIY try a marine laquer.
I've used Epifanes Rapidclear (semi-gloss finish) on nude sticks and it feels exactly like the Regal finish.

Could that be toxic though? Wondering...

Could that be toxic though? Wondering...
I don't know if it would be anymore more or less toxic than any other drumstick finish. It's a very good quality wood boat finish so maybe it won't break-down (and leach into our skin) as much as other standard paints and finishes.

The Zildjian ASTG Trilok Gurtu sticks are worth a try. They are both coated and indented so they don't slip easily and the size is something like a heavy 5A / thin 5B. They have surprising power for the size they are, but they are thin enough to play lightly. The only down side to me is they aren't nylon tipped.

I just started using the John Robinson Signatures and am loving them. Probably one of the most durable sticks I've owned, been playing them for 3 months and marks and dents in the stick are surprisingly shallow, both tips are still fully intact.

I actually don't notice much difference (at least in feel) between all the finishes, but I like these because of the unique dimensions. (5A shaft, but 16.75" length)

Yeah, I wondered about those tips too. I think I read somewhere that they slice up the tip to give more of a wooden sound. I guess less nylon hitting the head?

Exactly right. I had these sticks and actually liked them a lot. They sound much more like wood than standard nylon, however they still have that sharp attack you get from nylon, just a darker and warmer sound. I used them but ended up switching to a different pair, because I prefer longer sticks, and it is only available in 5A and 5B.

I just started using the John Robinson Signatures and am loving them. Probably one of the most durable sticks I've owned, been playing them for 3 months and marks and dents in the stick are surprisingly shallow, both tips are still fully intact.

I actually don't notice much difference (at least in feel) between all the finishes, but I like these because of the unique dimensions. (5A shaft, but 16.75" length)

Yeah, I've tried those too - they're cool. They really have a lot of whip to them.

Are those made of Hickory?

Back