Neil Peart

Hmmm.... Not sure about that one. I just thought I'd point it out to the guy that if you start asking for respect for someone the first thing you should do is to be respectfull towards others.

I'm not a fan of NP and will never be one, but as I said it: Its subjective. I don't tell anyone that he's in idiot if he loves NP.... On the other hand I get called an idiot (or something similar) if I don't like him by some guys. I just don't think thats fair, especially if these persons are the same that are asking for respect for their opinions or their idols.

I could have done this via PM though. But then again: Look at this thread, its more off-topic than almost anything else around here.

Yep, exactly. The rhetoric needs to simmer way down. If NP doesn't appear on your radar, there is nothing wrong with that, and your taste/education/etc should not be called into suspicion. I ask that the NP fans respect the boundaries of the non fans, and not make this personal.

Hmmm.... Not sure about that one. I just thought I'd point it out to the guy that if you start asking for respect for someone the first thing you should do is to be respectfull towards others.

I'm not a fan of NP and will never be one, but as I said it: Its subjective. I don't tell anyone that he's in idiot if he loves NP.... On the other hand I get called an idiot (or something similar) if I don't like him by some guys. I just don't think thats fair, especially if these persons are the same that are asking for respect for their opinions or their idols.

I could have done this via PM though. But then again: Look at this thread, its more off-topic than almost anything else around here.

Yea...

Ok Rick, we get it. You're not a NP fan.

Is it possible that you could fine another thread of a drummer that you ARE a fan of and post "positive" threads on there?

It really doesn't accomplish anything to go to a particular drummers thread and say that you aren't a fan of them except to cause dedicated fans of said particular drummer(s) to
feel that you are just starting a rift on the thread.

Yes, everyone has a right to their "opinion(s)", and it's all "subjective" which is a word I'm tired of seeing, but I don't see anything gained by saying this drummer is overrated, or that drummer is robotic. It's wasted energy to bash or make negative comments. IMO.

I don't go on other drummers threads, that I don't particularly find to my liking, and post negative comments about the drummer. That's just not a respectful option for me.

Why can't non-fans of certain drummers just stay away from the threads and go to the threads of the drummer(s) that they do admire, and add some positivity to that?

No dis-respect intended.

Yea...

Ok Rick, we get it. You're not a NP fan.

...blablabla...

Dude, as I've said: I just wanted to point out that if you ask for respect, you also have to pay respect to others. If you actually read and understood my post, you would have seen that it wasn't even about NP but about Supermac being disrespectfull on the one hand while asking for more respect on the other. As I said: Could have done it via PM, but since this thread isn't on topic anyway (thanks to you), I decided to post it here.

I never bashed NP or any other drummer on this forum. I even started some threads in the Drummers section for drummers that I like. That much for your advise to go elsewhere.

Please: Before you bash me, read my posts. Thank you.

A friend of mine told me last night, he saw a bumper sticker on a tractor trailer as he was driving down the road, and it said "It's not the destination, it's the journey". and underneath that phrase it said, "N Peart"

Has anyone ever seen a bumper sticker like this? It's interesting because, I believe Neil used this phrase in his "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" DVD.

I don't think it was Neil Peart that was the first person to use this phrase however, so to hear that it's on a bumper sticker is quite strange.

Anybody?

Dude, as I've said: I just wanted to point out that if you ask for respect, you also have to pay respect to others. If you actually read and understood my post, you would have seen that it wasn't even about NP but about Supermac being disrespectfull on the one hand while asking for more respect on the other. As I said: Could have done it via PM, but since this thread isn't on topic anyway (thanks to you), I decided to post it here.

I never bashed NP or any other drummer on this forum. I even started some threads in the Drummers section for drummers that I like. That much for your advise to go elsewhere.

Please: Before you bash me, read my posts. Thank you.

Uhhh....

1.) In what part of my post did I "bash" you? :-|
2.) It wasn't me that got this thread off-topic, ie...bashers and nay-sayers of NP do that.
3.) I make sure I read the posts thoroughly before responding to them, so to even suggest that I don't, is laughable.
4.) Don't complain about this thread being "off-topic", if YOU continue to be off-topic.
5.) Is it possible we can get this back to a more positive, on-topic thread without the negatives, bashing, and personal attacks...PLEASE?

Apparently I wasn't clear enough when I said "no dis-respect intended" the first time

No dis-respect intended...

A friend of mine told me last night, he saw a bumper sticker on a tractor trailer as he was driving down the road, and it said "It's not the destination, it's the journey". and underneath that phrase it said, "N Peart"

Has anyone ever seen a bumper sticker like this? It's interesting because, I believe Neil used this phrase in his "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" DVD.

I don't think it was Neil Peart that was the first person to use this phrase however, so to hear that it's on a bumper sticker is quite strange.

Anybody?
Hi michael drums,
I have heard this quote before and believe it was from one of the early famous aviators. I think it was Charles Kingsford Smith who may have said it?

And being a Neil Peart thread I'd just like to say that I love Neil's work and have done for years now! I have just recently gotten the Snakes and Arrows CD and am blown away by it (no wonder it won MD best recorded album of 2008!)

I haven't yet been back through this thread but will do now.
Take it easy,
Shauno.

It is funny that those who have ‘questioned’ the ‘rated-ness’ of Neil Peart found a way into this thread.

These people come in, drop a few barbs, then matter-of-factly state, “IT’S YOUR OPINION” that Neil Peart is a great drummer without qualifying their OWN opinion that he isn’t great, as well…OPINION.

Neil Peart has earned every single accolade he has received. He is a student of the instrument and a legend. Considering he and his band have yet to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame suggests also that he is far from being ‘over hyped’.

I can tell you when I watch him play it’s great. Even the songs by Rush I don’t like are still interesting to me, because of his awesome playing. I can't say that for anyone else. If a song by a band I like isn't good, I skip it, but with Rush I let it play so I don't miss what Neil does.

I also flatly disagree with the nebulous crap I've read on this thread, such as Neil doesn't have a good groove, doesn't interpret music well. That is just balderdash.

Hi all.

Wow! Shocker that a discussion of Neil Peart's prowess is being discussed! Never thought I'd see that!

Seriously though, we all have our idea on what the 'best' drummer is and what he/she should play like. I wrote a couple of articles on my web site precisely on this subject. Yes, Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, but is he the best? Is there such a thing?

Anyway, here are two articles that may shed some light on this subject (interesting and quick reads, I promise!).

The Reference Drummer

The Best Drummer In The World Is...

Let me know what you think!

Anyway, here are two articles that may shed some light on this subject (interesting and quick reads, I promise!).

The Reference Drummer

I posted something similar in another thread: the blog is a great idea! People flock to 'professor sound" but I found it too convoluted, and not all inclusive. I'd rather get more points of view. The blog form is good because it won't get fractured like this thread for example.

"S&A live" was released while I was deployed. After reading your blogs it reminded me to get a copy. I found the blu ray online for $19.00.

Hi michael drums,
I have heard this quote before and believe it was from one of the early famous aviators. I think it was Charles Kingsford Smith who may have said it?

And being a Neil Peart thread I'd just like to say that I love Neil's work and have done for years now! I have just recently gotten the Snakes and Arrows CD and am blown away by it (no wonder it won MD best recorded album of 2008!)

I haven't yet been back through this thread but will do now.
Take it easy,
Shauno.

Ahhh...

There's some refreshing news! Yea, I was pretty sure I had heard the quote before and thought it was funny, in a strange sort of way, that this quote would be on a bumper sticker with N. Peart on it. Though, I can definitely see NP using the quote during ANYTHING he shares about drums/drum technique.

Absolutely agree about S&A. The guy just has "it". And some people just don't get "it".

Thanks, Shauno! It's nice to hear a real positive take on Neil Peart. It seems to get lost in the nay-sayers and non-admires.

;-)

It is funny that those who have ‘questioned’ the ‘rated-ness’ of Neil Peart found a way into this thread.

These people come in, drop a few barbs, then matter-of-factly state, “IT’S YOUR OPINION” that Neil Peart is a great drummer without qualifying their OWN opinion that he isn’t great, as well…OPINION.

Neil Peart has earned every single accolade he has received. He is a student of the instrument and a legend. Considering he and his band have yet to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame suggests also that he is far from being ‘over hyped’.

I can tell you when I watch him play it’s great. Even the songs by Rush I don’t like are still interesting to me, because of his awesome playing. I can't say that for anyone else. If a song by a band I like isn't good, I skip it, but with Rush I let it play so I don't miss what Neil does.

I also flatly disagree with the nebulous crap I've read on this thread, such as Neil doesn't have a good groove, doesn't interpret music well. That is just balderdash.

Balderdash, is certainly an appropriate adjective to describe what I see in certain posts that just seem to want to knock down the guys that are near the top of their craft. And NP is, without question, at that point.

Excellent statement there about the HOF. Absolutely! That's so true about that fact. It's a head-shaker that some think he's over-hyped. He's won many awards for his drumming/recording for what he's accomplished in his stellar career, by legitimate sources in the industry AND his peers. Which makes the fact that Rush has been dissed by the HOF even more ridiculous.

Nice post, kwolf. ;-)

I posted something similar in another thread: the blog is a great idea! People flock to 'professor sound" but I found it too convoluted, and not all inclusive. I'd rather get more points of view. The blog form is good because it won't get fractured like this thread for example.

"S&A live" was released while I was deployed. After reading your blogs it reminded me to get a copy. I found the blu ray online for $19.00.

Hey trkdrmr,

Thanks for the feedback! I love writing about drumming-related stuff, and I feel a blog is the best way to do so!

I'll be writing a few special articles regard Mr. Peart, and I don't think the subject's been covered this way, so sign up for my newsletter so you won't miss it (that goes for all of you, dang it!)

As I read from one of the posters in this thread, yes, Neil Peart has "it", whatever "it" is. I'm going to pinpoint it someday and write about it! Of course, I have to figure it out first.

Drum on!

Hi all.

Wow! Shocker that a discussion of Neil Peart's prowess is being discussed! Never thought I'd see that!

Seriously though, we all have our idea on what the 'best' drummer is and what he/she should play like. I wrote a couple of articles on my web site precisely on this subject. Yes, Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, but is he the best? Is there such a thing?

The Reference Drummer

Excellent articles, paradiddler! Great reads.

These really sum-up what it's all about. Inspiration and admiration. The last time I checked, these were OK to have toward someone else.

Right?

Excellent articles, paradiddler! Great reads.

These really sum-up what it's all about. Inspiration and admiration. The last time I checked, these were OK to have toward someone else.

Right?

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the feedback! Inspiration and admiration are what makes us want to try things we might not try otherwise. Neil Peart fits the bill!

Steve Smith is my second-favorite drummer. I'll admit there are things he can do that Neil most certainly cannot, but Neil inspires me more. If you love technicality, Steve Smith fits the bill. But if you love someone who's drumming always serves the song, I think Neil is unequalled. Another thing I most admire about Neil is that, even though he can do all these crazy things on the drums (with a huge kit that allows him to do anything), he just doesn't. His restraint is as pronounced as when he actually hits the drums.

That's my take!

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the feedback! Inspiration and admiration are what makes us want to try things we might not try otherwise. Neil Peart fits the bill!

Steve Smith is my second-favorite drummer. I'll admit there are things he can do that Neil most certainly cannot, but Neil inspires me more. If you love technicality, Steve Smith fits the bill. But if you love someone who's drumming always serves the song, I think Neil is unequalled. Another thing I most admire about Neil is that, even though he can do all these crazy things on the drums (with a huge kit that allows him to do anything), he just doesn't. His restraint is as pronounced as when he actually hits the drums.

That's my take!

Agreed. Especially the point about his restraint. NP is a master at playing what the song requires, and I don't agree with others that say he "over-plays".

NP likes to challenge himself whether it be a huge fill or a subtle flam.

Love Steve Smith too! Back in his "Machine Gun" days and certainly now! ;-).

Last edited:
All right fellows.

I've been working on this for a while. I'll be publishing a series of articles at theparadiddler.com ranking Neil Peart's drum solos, from worst to first! The introductory article is up online. Here's the direct link:

Neil Peart's Drum Solos Ranked

This should be a lot of fun, and as you know, comments are always welcome! If you like, let others in on this series - I think it's the first of it's kind!

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the series.

All right fellows.

I've been working on this for a while. I'll be publishing a series of articles at theparadiddler.com ranking Neil Peart's drum solos, from worst to first!

I justs watched S&A live on blu-ray. Just what I always wanted: vivid pores, arm hair and sweat close ups on the bigscreen! The detail is right there in high definition.

I have to say that this was for me, the least enjoyable Peart Solo. That is because it didn't (IMO) flow like past solos. It almost felt like he was saying "Ok, now on to the next part." There was no build-up (ebb and flow) like RIR. Additionally, some of the Roland samples he played sounded pretty bad and out of context.

From "All the worlds a stage" on to RIR, I place the S&A solo dead last on my Peart -o- Meter solo enjoyability.

Well...

Thanks paradiddler! It's great that you are posting these. I find them quite interesting and enjoyable. Of course, as many know, I'm a rather huge follower of NP and what he's accomplished in his 33+ years of drumming, lyric penning, and recording. Not to mention his knack for non-fiction.

Keep up the good work, paradiddler. Some of us really do appreciate this.

Peace. ;-)

Back