Neil Peart

yeah, seriosuly must be the site, I got an error after I posted that. Didn't think it went through at all. But just for good measure...

I got a bunch of free posters from Ludwig when I was a kid. They were of all of Neil Pearts huge kits. I never heard his drumming until I was well into my teens. I took the posters down shortly after that.

I've read some interviews with him and he seems like a nice guy, but as far as his drumming goes I'm not really a Neil Peart "fan"....

yeah, seriosuly must be the site, I got an error after I posted that. Didn't think it went through at all. But just for good measure...

I got a bunch of free posters from Ludwig when I was a kid. They were of all of Neil Pearts huge kits. I never heard his drumming until I was well into my teens. I took the posters down shortly after that.

I've read some interviews with him and he seems like a nice guy, but as far as his drumming goes I'm not really a Neil Peart "fan"....

Uhhh...

Yea, we get it

Geeessshhh....

Next? :-|

Funny. You're the one complaining that he sounds like a broken record?

Now Michael, that is a clear case of irony.

Funny. You're the one complaining that he sounds like a broken record?

Now Michael, that is a clear case of irony.

Nahhh...

He's not the only one that's a broken record.

Now, I guess we can't get back on topic, huh? :-(

You've been PM'ing me constantly. Anyone would think you're craving the attention.

Ya know...

Neil has a pretty good website. I love his story section: News, Weather, and Sports.

Very interesting real-life stuff there.

www.neilpeart.com

It's disappointing that Neil seems to attract a fair amount of critisicm.

I've seen posts saying he's no good because he doesn't do multi-pedal orchestration like Thomas Lang; or he doesn't groove like Dennis Chambers; or he doesn't have the technique of Dave Weckl.

If that is the case, it invalidates the work of nearly other drummer alive.

The fact is he's one of the greatest ever rock drummers, with a fantastic body of work that has been commerially and critically successful over three decades.

More importantly, he's influenced thousands of players.

He's the guy that encouraged me to play 7/8 for the first time and check out and learn other odd times.

He's the guy that taught me to break up a song and give it different textures and musical sections, rather that just chipping out one groove for 4 minutes.

He's the guy that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of drumming and made me check out all the other 'heavyweight' players.

I think more respect is due to Neil.

Still my number one...

Hi, fellows.

Here is an smile for all of you.

Attachments

• neilpeart.jpg
    neilpeart.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4,619
It's disappointing that Neil seems to attract a fair amount of critisicm.

I've seen posts saying he's no good because he doesn't do multi-pedal orchestration like Thomas Lang; or he doesn't groove like Dennis Chambers; or he doesn't have the technique of Dave Weckl.

If that is the case, it invalidates the work of nearly other drummer alive.

The fact is he's one of the greatest ever rock drummers, with a fantastic body of work that has been commerially and critically successful over three decades.

More importantly, he's influenced thousands of players.

He's the guy that encouraged me to play 7/8 for the first time and check out and learn other odd times.

He's the guy that taught me to break up a song and give it different textures and musical sections, rather that just chipping out one groove for 4 minutes.

He's the guy that really opened my eyes to the possibilities of drumming and made me check out all the other 'heavyweight' players.

Still my number one...

Just a perfect example of honest truth.

Well said, "mac"!

A "super" post!

;-)

I agree, well said. Neil has and will always be an important influence in my playing.

Especially when he played SLINGERLAND? ;)
hemispheres-15.jpg

That's why I like XM/Sirius, I can drive to work in the morning and hear deep cuts from Rush.

It's funny that you write about respect here.... I recall another thread in which I questioned the hype that's made about Neil Peart because after listening to some recommended Rush Records I couldn't really find anything special about the drumming (which of course is subjective and might appeal differently to someone else).

Your answer was that I was talking out of my rear and you continued to ask if I actually was a drummer.

And now you talk about respect?

Before you point your finger at others you should ask yourself how you conduct yourself towards others.

Funny Discussion here btw.

Before you point your finger at others you should ask yourself how you conduct yourself towards others.

Funny Discussion here btw.

This thread has been used an an excuse to bash Peart. It's also been divisive, those that like/don't like Peart or Rush. It has become too much of a personal back-and-fourth disrespect fest.

Something you alluded to. Evereyone needs to get into the mind frame that no one drummer appeals to everyone. This thread is not called "Post here only if you love Neil Peart." It should be a discussion, and somehow put him into perspective from dielectic points of view.

Bashing Neil is not good, bashing each other personally...is worse. Arguments and points of view need not bash or get personal.

Like him or dislike him, Neil's playing and band can be an acquired taste. For everyone that deifies him as a drum god, there are others that find him cold and robotic. Both sides need to accept the others opinion, because it subjective.

Like him or dislike him, Neil's playing and band can be an acquired taste. For everyone that deifies him as a drum god, there are others that find him cold and robotic. Both sides need to accept the others opinion, because it subjective.

Heck no, Neil is the best ever. That's a fact, jack.

Just kidding...well not really, but yea Im kidding. I love Neil's playing and he seems like a great guy.

The rest of your post was good and made great points.

I like Neil because he has always been committed to his band. Many other 'elite drummers' are nothing more than hired hands, basically glorified session players. Neil has always been about his band.

Heck no, Neil is the best ever. That's a fact, jack.

Just kidding...well not really, but yea Im kidding. I love Neil's playing and he seems like a great guy.

The rest of your post was good and made great points.

I like Neil because he has always been committed to his band. Many other 'elite drummers' are nothing more than hired hands, basically glorified session players. Neil has always been about his band.

...and meanwhile, back at the hall of justice....

I found snakes and arrows live on blue ray for $19. :)

...along with a new double dvd of "the who" in 1977 for $14.95.

...and meanwhile, back at the hall of justice....

I found snakes and arrows live on blue ray for $19. :)

...along with a new double dvd of "the who" in 1977 for $14.95.

Bitchin'...can't get any better than that. I have 3 Rush live CDs and I always keep coming back to Exit Stage Left. Don't know why...hmmmm. I thought the Distant Early Warning period was very under-rated and I enjoy that concert vid as well. Hell, it's Rush, they put on a brilliant show.

As far as the Who, my viewpoints on that band are pretty much set in stone: TGFRBE (T= The, E=Ever....ill let you figure out the rest)

Bitchin'...can't get any better than that. I have 3 Rush live CDs and I always keep coming back to Exit Stage Left. Don't know why...hmmmm. I thought the Distant Early Warning period was very under-rated and I enjoy that concert vid as well. Hell, it's Rush, they put on a brilliant show.

As far as the Who, my viewpoints on that band are pretty much set in stone: TGFRBE (T= The, E=Ever....ill let you figure out the rest)

Signals marked era #2 of Rush. The synthesizer driven era. I was lukewarm at first, but now I love it. As far as I am concerned, Neil did more than anyone to integrate e-kit and acoustics and make the concept popular. I know Simmons owes him a debt of gratitude for selling a lot of those red plastic hexagons and making them an 80's icon.

Mike Portnoy's "Amazing journey" has to be the best Who cover band I have heard...spot on!

This thread has been used an an excuse to bash Peart. It's also been divisive, those that like/don't like Peart or Rush. It has become too much of a personal back-and-fourth disrespect fest.

Something you alluded to.

Hmmm.... Not sure about that one. I just thought I'd point it out to the guy that if you start asking for respect for someone the first thing you should do is to be respectfull towards others.

I'm not a fan of NP and will never be one, but as I said it: Its subjective. I don't tell anyone that he's in idiot if he loves NP.... On the other hand I get called an idiot (or something similar) if I don't like him by some guys. I just don't think thats fair, especially if these persons are the same that are asking for respect for their opinions or their idols.

I could have done this via PM though. But then again: Look at this thread, its more off-topic than almost anything else around here.

Back