Gavin Harrison here!

Modern Drummer Festival Drumset

Hi Gavin,

thanx for your inspiration. You are one of the reasons I found my way back to drumming....thanks

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack?

what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?

the best thing would be to have both and to switch depending on style. I don't know....

so what do you think?

thanx

Gavin, I'm excited to hear about The Incident - can't wait until September. And I have a few questions for you about it:
I get the impression from the video and the press releases that this album was mostly recorded together in a studio - as opposed to everybody recording at home & exchanging files. Is that right? What did you think of the studio you used?
Who wrote the album? I know Steven wrote the title track, but are there band compositions or other collaborations on the other disc?
Speaking of the title track, can you tell us how you plan to play it live (if you know yet)? Perhaps a version with only some of the movements?
The video on Roadrunner is nice (thanks NeuroAxis for posting), but a little choppy & incomplete - do you know if there will be any more video of the recording sessions posted? Was a lot filmed?
Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future? I think that worked quite well for the FOABP extras.
Thanks for your time

Hi Gavin,
It's a great honour to be able to write to you, hoping that you'll answer!
First of all i shall say that you're my favourite, not one of my favourites...MY FAVOURITE!!!

I find your style the most inspiring, your sound is more than amazing and your musical choices also! I wish one day i will be able to play as good as you do, with that amazing groove and your ability to play in different styles! I wish i will be able to have my own personal style, just like you. Whenever i hear even one note of your playing, i know it's you!

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month!

I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

And a question...Will we see you here in Greece?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hi KevShephard

I have been playing drums now for about 20 years, influenced by guys like Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland.

Thanks for the comments - those guys influenced and inspired me too.

Hi danielkenjr

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack? what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?

I haven't tried the beech shells yet. The set I used on the MD Fest was vintage Maple.

Hi hauk

I get the impression from the video and the press releases that this album was mostly recorded together in a studio - as opposed to everybody recording at home & exchanging files. Is that right? What did you think of the studio you used?

We did record a lot in studios (the drums were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst in London) one of my favourite studios - but we didn't record together.

Who wrote the album? I know Steven wrote the title track, but are there band compositions or other collaborations on the other disc?

Two segments of the title track were composed by the band as a whole. Yes there are other band compositions on the record.

Speaking of the title track, can you tell us how you plan to play it live (if you know yet)? Perhaps a version with only some of the movements?

Don't know yet.

The video on Roadrunner is nice (thanks NeuroAxis for posting), but a little choppy & incomplete - do you know if there will be any more video of the recording sessions posted? Was a lot filmed?

Not much was filmed - it was only what we did with our own cameras. A couple of drum performances were filmed - but I doubt they'll ever see the light of day.

Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future?

We recorded a lot of stuff - and it's all going to come out together. There were other things written - but they didn't get finished.

Hi shortsman

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month! I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

Funny you should mention that - I'm working on a Book/DVD package about those two albums - together with Terry Branam. He's skillfully transcribed every single note I play on both albums - and I'm working on a DVD to accompany the book right now.

We hope so - but there's no plan right at this moment.

cheers
Gavin

Hi shortsman

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month! I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

Funny you should mention that - I'm working on a Book/DVD package about those two albums - together with Terry Branam. He's skillfully transcribed every single note I play on both albums - and I'm working on a DVD to accompany the book right now.

cheers
Gavin

First of all thanks for answering my post...

Now something i was wondering about. Will you release any other album together with 05ric or just those 2(i really hope there will be much more than only these 2!!!)?

I also try to find the sanity and gravity album but it is out of stock...will we ever be able to find this album?! I also want to buy every single album you've played in but unfortunately they're truly difficult to be found :(

Thanks once again...

Last edited:
tnaks a lot for your reply gavin....

Hi KevShephard

I have been playing drums now for about 20 years, influenced by guys like Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland.

Thanks for the comments - those guys influenced and inspired me too.

Hi danielkenjr

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack? what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?

I haven't tried the beech shells yet. The set I used on the MD Fest was vintage Maple.

Hi hauk

We did record a lot in studios (the drums were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst in London) one of my favourite studios - but we didn't record together.

Two segments of the title track were composed by the band as a whole. Yes there are other band compositions on the record.

Don't know yet.

Not much was filmed - it was only what we did with our own cameras. A couple of drum performances were filmed - but I doubt they'll ever see the light of day.

Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future?

We recorded a lot of stuff - and it's all going to come out together. There were other things written - but they didn't get finished.

Hi shortsman

cheers
Gavin

First of all thanks for answering my post...

Now something i was wondering about. Will you release any other album together with 05ric or just those 2(i really hope there will be much more than only these 2!!!)?

I also try to find the sanity and gravity album but it is out of stock...will we ever be able to find this album?! I also want to buy every single album you've played in but unfortunately they're truly difficult to be found :(

Thanks once again...

iTunes has it.

Hi shortsman

Yes we will make more in the future.

Sanity & Gravity is out of print at the moment but it can be downloaded from iTunes or from me via

http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/

Hi danielkenjr,
if log in you can erase your double post - there's probably no need to 'quote my reply' in your answer. Thanks.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for all your answers Gavin - I'm especially glad to hear that the extra Incident tracks will see release together - I much prefer that to the "Deadwing method." It's also good to hear that there will be more GH05 recordings as I think Circles even surpasses Drop.

I really don't know which of the 2 albums is better! Maybe i prefer Circles but then i think about Unsettled, Sometime, Okay and i rethink the whole thing! :)

But i think i know which is my favorite song of these albums... I guess Break is the chosen one!!! I believe that Gavin and Ric named the song Break because of that AMAZING BREAK Gavin does on 3.37, lol!!! Can you explain to us maybe the best break the world's ever listened Gavin?

Also i don't want to download the Sanity And Gravity album. I am the type of guy who wants every album in the original version, you know, to open the package and see the cd, the booklet, everything...i'm a romantic guy! So i will be waiting until the album is printed again! Is there any possibility???

Hello people, Hello Gavin!!!

I registered just to be able to say thank you for being so talented and thank you for
taking the time, especially now that you are working on a new album to chat with us and
respond to our questions!!!

I think that you are for the 90s and 00s what John Bonham was for the 60s and 70s,
archetypical, simple when you need to and "effectively complex" when you want to. never idle, never
off beat, never miss a mark. I think that you are a crossbreed with a metronome :p
Perfect concept of time and rhythm, not a novelty decoration, but an active part of the
band. You don't just accent on what the others are playing, you also make music, not just
sound, you play along, you have more talent on your left hand than I'll eve have on all
four of my limbs, you give reason to drummers and drumming in general to exist!!!!

Now, on to the questions:

Have you had many skins/cymbals brake on you live?

Having read that you come from a jazz background, who is
the artist you would most have liked to play with, that's not among us any more

What would you say was the worst sounding kit you ever played?

Have you used electronic drums? If so, whole kits or just pieces?

I thought you gave all you had IN the studio, but when i got Arriving somewhere
as a gift, i realized you're holding back on us!! You are even better live!!!
You think that is because you've had more time to listen to the tracks and improve on
them or as you've said before, because you like to make the songs sound a bit different
each time?

Does that "trick" you do in Slippin' Away,on the 1:02 minute mark have a name?

Thank you, thank you. THANK YOU!!!

Hi shortsman

But i think i know which is my favorite song of these albums... I guess Break is the chosen one!!! I believe that Gavin and Ric named the song Break because of that AMAZING BREAK Gavin does on 3.37, lol!!! Can you explain to us maybe the best break the world's ever listened Gavin?

It's your lucky day!!! It just so happens that Terry Branam has transcribed both GH05 albums for a book/DVD package that we are currently working on. Here's that fill..(the time signature is 6/8 of course)

Picture 2.jpg

Also i don't want to download the Sanity And Gravity album. I am the type of guy who wants every album in the original version, you know, to open the package and see the cd, the booklet, everything...i'm a romantic guy! So i will be waiting until the album is printed again! Is there any possibility???

There's very little chance of it getting reprinted at the moment. You might find one on ebay?

Hi ax0r7ag0z

Have you had many skins/cymbals brake on you live?

I have broken a few snare drum skins live - and bottom snare heads have blown out too. Yes I have broken a lot of cymbals in live situations - but recently I've been developing some new kind of cymbal washers that absorb some of the shock - and since then I haven't broken any cymbals.

Having read that you come from a jazz background, who is
the artist you would most have liked to play with, that's not among us any more?

Joe Zawinul, Chet Baker, Art Farmer and many others too

What would you say was the worst sounding kit you ever played?

I once had to play a hybrid kit of Maxwin concert toms with drum heads that must have been 25 years old. It wasn't great.

Have you used electronic drums? If so, whole kits or just pieces?

I have played DDrums and VDrums.

I thought you gave all you had IN the studio, but when i got Arriving somewhere
as a gift, i realized you're holding back on us!! You are even better live!!!
You think that is because you've had more time to listen to the tracks and improve on
them or as you've said before, because you like to make the songs sound a bit different
each time?

The more I play a song - the more new ideas might come to me over time.

Does that "trick" you do in Slippin' Away,on the 1:02 minute mark have a name?

Not really - it started as a joke fill that I used to do in rehearsals sometimes just to amuse the other musicians.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
hi gavin!
i hope that everything is ok for you!
last saturday i bought the tickets for PT date here in padova!! ^_^

and in saturday evening i played in a concert with my band.We play the themes of the anime like DRAGONBALL, LUPIN, and many others of 80's :)

I decided for that night to use a setup like yours, a little tribute to a person that gave me a lot, in a simple, gentle way.If i can play drums in a decent way, i gotta say thanks to many persons, and you are one of these.

battam.jpg

i hope that you recognize your setup!!! ^^

cheers from Italy!

Hi Gavin,

I do know that you play to metronome to most (all?) of your PT songs live. Which kind of metronome do you use? My band and I want to use click too, but I dont really know how to get everyone involved in it. Is there a way to get every band member hearing the click with a metronome such as the "Tama Rhythm Watch" or something like that? Can you recommend anything (with having no notebook)?

Thanks for answering and see you in Cologne

@Italian Ricky: Looks very nice, I'd love to play it. :)

Hi Gavin!
I just want to say that you are my favorite drummer, I wonder how could you play the drums so well, your drumplaying gives me dreamless nights (listen it a lot and try to find out what and how you play...then I write it down to myself, I think it improves my skills too) and a lot of inspiration.

I was very happy when I read Porcupine Tree come in Hungary! I think itt will be a "killer" show! I can't wait november!

Were you ever been in Hungary?
It's a beautiful country, I hope that you will have some time to look around!

(sorry for my mistakes)

Hi Gavin,

I do know that you play to metronome to most (all?) of your PT songs live. Which kind of metronome do you use? My band and I want to use click too, but I dont really know how to get everyone involved in it. Is there a way to get every band member hearing the click with a metronome such as the "Tama Rhythm Watch" or something like that? Can you recommend anything (with having no notebook)?

Thanks for answering and see you in Cologne

@Italian Ricky: Looks very nice, I'd love to play it. :)

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just playing to a click for the tightness you can run the headphone out of a Tama Rhythmwatch-style metronome to a headphone mixer with several headphone outputs that you could run to your bandmates' headphones. If you are trying to run samples to a click you will need a sampler or a computer to run the samples lined up to a click; and you could do something similar with this setup. Just run the master headphone out of whatever you are using to sample into an inexpensive headphone mixer with several headphone outs.

Now in most bands only the drummer will play to the click and the rest of the band will play to him/her, but if you have a lot of gaps in the music where there are other instruments playing with no drum parts it can get tedious to sit there and click your hi-hats the whole time. This would be one advantage of having everyone in the band hear the click.

Of course I've only been doing this for the last 2 yrs or so, Gavin could probably provide much more wisdom on this than me, but I hope this helps either way.

Hi Gavin,

Still enjoying your music and 'borrowing' heavily from it as I practice on my new Roland kit.

Among the many things I enjoy in your playing is your ride cymbal work.

For example, the quarter note ride feel you get (even though your're actually playing a lot of notes) on the Sound Of Muzak chorus is almost hypnotic. Most drummers, I'm sure, would have just tapped out eight notes.

Anyway, on over-riding: You mention you heard it on a record back in the day.

I was wondering when 'over-riding' was done for the fist time.

I heard Neil Peart dabble with it in the early 80s, but I recently heard Jeff Beck's 1976 Wired album and Narada Michael Walden was over-riding to a 7/8 groove on Led Boots.

Might this be the track you heard?

Hi ItalianRicky

I decided for that night to use a setup like yours, a little tribute to a person that gave me a lot, in a simple, gentle way.If i can play drums in a decent way, i gotta say thanks to many persons, and you are one of these.

Your kit looks great - I would feel at home playing that setup!!!

Hi phil_EN

Yes as NeuroAxis says you could just run any drum machine through a headphone amp and pass the click along to your band mates. Do they all wear 'in ear' monitors?
I have a Yamaha Click Station but I have to say I don't love the sound of that particular click.

Hi Renard

Were you ever been in Hungary?
It's a beautiful country, I hope that you will have some time to look around!

Yes I was in Budapest in 1995 for one concert with Eros Ramazzotti. I'd love to have more time to look around but usually the tour schedule doesn't allow for sightseeing.

Hi supermac

Anyway, on over-riding: You mention you heard it on a record back in the day.
I was wondering when 'over-riding' was done for the fist time.

I don't know when it was done for the first time (probably jazz drummers were doing many years before) - but I became aware of it in the 80's with the sting song "Straight To My Heart"

Hi Kongo

Gavin, what do you think of Morgan Ågren's drumming?

I LOVE his drumming.

cheers
Gavin

Back