A new Australian national anthem.

The ref's were ordinary, no doubt....but the ref didn't let 4 goals get kicked against him either. There was still a side on the paddock that got whipped 4-nil (sorry GD!!), some accountability still has to be taken by those playing the game I think.....the ref's and the coaches are easy whipping boys in any loss. That said....I reckon that's the last we'll see of Pim though.

Yeah, with my 20/20 hindsight (as opposed to my half-blind brain-dead foresight) I can see that their attitude was wrong against Germany. They were keen to appreciate the magnitude of the challenge so they'd be up for it (and maybe induce some complacency in the Germans). But the balance tipped too far to the respect side and they ended up being overawed. The trick in sport when playing someone better is to to get the balance between respect and mongrel dog cussedness. That's normally what Australians are good at.

What they needed to do (again, in hindsight) is, rather than talk up Germany, to instead say "We're not worried about them because we can't affect them, only the way we play".

Not a bad attitude if you end up at a jam or gig with players who are much better than you either ...

Andy, I appreciate your comment, at the time I was thinking on tall ships.

Ian, a minor point of clarification, the Union flag is only called the Union Jack when hoisted on a ship. In all other situations, It's the Union flag.

I agree, you must show a healthy disrespect and never bow to the big ones. Make them worry slowly! Venezuelans are good at as well.
In example: The match between Brasil and Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivoire), even the Ivoirienne were defeated but they try, try, try and gave a hard time to the Brazilians.

But the balance tipped too far to the respect side and they ended up being overawed. The trick in sport when playing someone better is to to get the balance between respect and mongrel dog cussedness. That's normally what Australians are good at.

Back