Finally cleaned up the recording room!

Computers R cool! Digital Yeah! Down wiv hardwares!

EDIT: I need to mention that, appropriately enough, this is my 1337th post.

Incidentally, I own a pair of Shure SE115's that I'm very pleased with. I've had them for about a year and although I've soldered new cable onto them (oh the ugliness of colour-coded shrink wrap!) they are performing far better than I thought they would when I bought them in a shop sale. Without a doubt the finest in-ears I've owned (although obviously the SE315's are probably better) but the only caveat is that I had to experiment to find the right attachment for the isolating cup - the rubber ones were useless for my ears and I had to go with the foam ones.

They're not a patch on my AKG K701's though, but obviously I can't use those for drumming!

Incidentally, I own a pair of Shure SE115's that I'm very pleased with. I've had them for about a year and although I've soldered new cable onto them (oh the ugliness of colour-coded shrink wrap!) they are performing far better than I thought they would when I bought them in a shop sale. Without a doubt the finest in-ears I've owned (although obviously the SE315's are probably better) but the only caveat is that I had to experiment to find the right attachment for the isolating cup - the rubber ones were useless for my ears and I had to go with the foam ones.

They're not a patch on my AKG K701's though, but obviously I can't use those for drumming!

The 315s came with a bunch of different ear pieces and I've found that the conical ones fits best and don't come out. The isolation is pretty good too. I've upgraded my trusty E2c's to the conical ear piece and am waiting for those to arrive. Right now I'm using the last of my orange foam ones (at $20 for a pack of 10 pairs it gets expensive over time!).

And it does sorta suck about being not being able to find a recorder that just has 8-ins and 8-outs like you could back in the day of the reel-to-reel, just in flashmemory or hard drive form. The last cool incarnation of something like that was the Yamaha O1v paired up with the Tascam DA88. Simple. Just send 8 to the Tascam, and at the flick of a switch, have the Yamaha receive 8 from the Tascam for an easy mixdown. I love computing but that rig was so simple to use!

Nice little set up Bo!

So, he didn't come back and explain the tilters comment? humm...

I'm trying to record a few things today. I got a near perfect take, then I went and discovered the bass drum mic had moved 1/2 an inch and didn't pick up a tone worth keeping. :-(

Nice little set up Bo!

So, he didn't come back and explain the tilters comment? humm...

I'm trying to record a few things today. I got a near perfect take, then I went and discovered the bass drum mic had moved 1/2 an inch and didn't pick up a tone worth keeping. :-(

Don't cha just hate that? That has happened to me several times and out of sheer human laziness I just dealt with it because I was simply in another room of the house when I discovered it.

What I normally do is get the tracks into the R16 and then pull the SD card and dump the files into my Mac and Logic Studio for further manipulation (very cool when I found out I could that with GarageBand). But then I thought, if I had another set of monitor speakers where the drums are, then I could simply mix down stuff right there without moving! Or simply listen back to hear if everything sounds good since monitoring in headphones isn't the optimal choice.

I'm off to BestBuy to pick up a pair of those M-Audio AV30 powered speakers (I'm debating holding out for the AV40's but I'm currently using the old DX4's now and I love those)!

Don't cha just hate that? That has happened to me several times and out of sheer human laziness I just dealt with it because I was simply in another room of the house when I discovered it.

What I normally do is get the tracks into the R16 and then pull the SD card and dump the files into my Mac and Logic Studio for further manipulation (very cool when I found out I could that with GarageBand). But then I thought, if I had another set of monitor speakers where the drums are, then I could simply mix down stuff right there without moving! Or simply listen back to hear if everything sounds good since monitoring in headphones isn't the optimal choice.

I'm off to BestBuy to pick up a pair of those M-Audio AV30 powered speakers (I'm debating holding out for the AV40's but I'm currently using the old DX4's now and I love those)!
How much were you going to spend on the AV30s or AV40s? Because I think I'm picking up the AV40s soon... and Amazon has a fantastic price on them, and since I'm a college student I have a free Prime account with free 2-day shipping so that only sweetens the deal.

How much were you going to spend on the AV30s or AV40s? Because I think I'm picking up the AV40s soon... and Amazon has a fantastic price on them, and since I'm a college student I have a free Prime account with free 2-day shipping so that only sweetens the deal.

The local BestBuy has the AV30s for $99, and I can get the AV40s online for $149. I'm thinking like you, I may get the AV40s instead because they have more input options whereas the AV30s just have stereo RCA inputs. The power difference is negligible for near-field monitoring, but I do like the fact that the speakers would be slightly larger in the AV40s.

If I had the money I'd probably pick up the KRK5's, but that's double the price. But who knows?

im thinking he ment youve got the tilters folding in on themselves rather than reflexing outwards ? :S still doesn't make much sense :p

as shown here
Rockburn_Drumkit_Wine_Red.jpg

nice set up ive been wanting to do youtube stuff myself recently but i dont have the recording gear for it and its blooming expensive.

you know it! ;) gotta love rockburn :p

how about a far sexier example :p
attachment.php

The local BestBuy has the AV30s for $99, and I can get the AV40s online for $149. I'm thinking like you, I may get the AV40s instead because they have more input options whereas the AV30s just have stereo RCA inputs. The power difference is negligible for near-field monitoring, but I do like the fact that the speakers would be slightly larger in the AV40s.

If I had the money I'd probably pick up the KRK5's, but that's double the price. But who knows?

I have the AV30s...if you have enough cables aready laying around (1/4" to RCA, 1/8" to RCA, etc) they're awesome. Only problem is the 1/8" stereo jack on the front has a little noise in it if you use it. RCA inputs are noiseless though. I think they're a great deal for $99 (I bought mine at AAFES, so no sales tax either).

Thank god, we got an answer. Thank you, Blingy! :)
...but I'd like the man who said it to explain. How could it be a proper way. I've only seen people tilt 'em like we all do. Hmm...

They just went out of stock on Amazon but you can get them direct from Amazon (so you know it's legitimate) for about 123 or so, save about 26 more bucks if you like... I can't imagine even if you have a shipping cost that it wouldn't still save you money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MUXJCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT: Aw, dammit. Should've double checked before I copied that link from my bookmarks... they're back in stock but they're 139 now... still a better price than I can find them elsewhere at the moment, although I'll double check other places on Amazon/eBay stores etc. I could go used with the Like New guarantee from Amazon with free shipping for 115 as well... hm. Not sure how keen I am on used speakers/audio equipment though.

They just went out of stock on Amazon but you can get them direct from Amazon (so you know it's legitimate) for about 123 or so, save about 26 more bucks if you like... I can't imagine even if you have a shipping cost that it wouldn't still save you money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MUXJCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT: Aw, dammit. Should've double checked before I copied that link from my bookmarks... they're back in stock but they're 139 now... still a better price than I can find them elsewhere at the moment, although I'll double check other places on Amazon/eBay stores etc. I could go used with the Like New guarantee from Amazon with free shipping for 115 as well... hm. Not sure how keen I am on used speakers/audio equipment though.

Actually, found a legitimate business selling the AV40s on eBay for $119 - no tax or shipping. But I may just save up for the KRK Rokit 5. Bigger, more power, and they got those cool lookin' yellow speakers. It'll be an nice contrast in a photograph against the gun metal gray Tamas.... ;)

It's all about the aesthetics with me, eh?

My favorite thing about these pictures is how you have the tilters on your cymbal stands. It seems like no one, no matter where I go, understands how they're supposed to be set up.QUOTE]

On the tilters....

My guess is he is commenting that you are actually tilting the tilters rather that having your pies flat.

Just a guess.

Your room looks great. Love to hear some new recordings?

Cheers,
-r

My favorite thing about these pictures is how you have the tilters on your cymbal stands. It seems like no one, no matter where I go, understands how they're supposed to be set up.QUOTE]

On the tilters....

My guess is he is commenting that you are actually tilting the tilters rather that having your pies flat.

Just a guess.

Your room looks great. Love to hear some new recordings?

Cheers,
-r

Here ya' go. Did this one up yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHB8XqBVJ0k

I was very surprised at how quickly I was able to get it done and how good it sounded. I'm lovin' a nice work space.

I bought an Audix D6.

One one hand, getting a good sound is easy enough, but if it's not pointing toward beater, it doesn't pick up anything other than "boing. "

I'm very much warming to Tama drums, and those pics are certainly helping. Very nice kit and drum room.

Back