Custom veneer

uniongoon

Gold Member
Hi all, brand new to this board. I just did a crazy re finish on my Premier Signia's, hope to show it off here.
I bought this kit off fleabay, and had some down time with the band so, originally I was just going to fill the holes where the bigass mount sits on the kick drum.
29prigj.jpg

What happened next was a scary journey into the unknown.
34pxrw1.jpg

Found a bargain on some birdseye maple wood veneer
205xcsz.jpg

I surfed the net looking for some pioneers who maybe did this before me, found none so I went ahead, no fear, well, lots of fear actual, no brains??? maybe
2a60bkk.jpg

Instead of carpenters practice of using contact cement, I chose ultimate wood glue by titebond. There is no fixing contact cement.
and wrapping it with custom made hardwood blocks and ratchet straps, they came together
1rztxx.jpg

That is certainly a nice wrap you've got there. Nice setup as well.

Looks fantastic! I have been pondering doing the same thing to one of my kits. I wonder how you managed the seams? I was thinking to overlap then straight cut with razor knife. What did you do?

And now you've got me thinking about doing this to my small kit. That looks really fantastic.

I don't think I could do that to a set of Signias. That being said, I think you did a great job. It would look a lot cooler if you wrapped the bass drum hoops as well. That's just my opinion, though.

I like the contrast between the bass drum hoops, reminds me of an old marine pearl kit.
The seams are tough. I got better as I went. I ended up doing the wrap in two stages, I did one edge and all the way around, then left off the final seam about 3 inches. After main was dry, then i razor cut it and glued it.
98ul8l.jpg

Getting a perfect seam is still above my skill level, but I got them not bad, and they get strategically placed so you dont see them anyhow.

Thanks deathmetal guy, thats what i like, inquisitive minds. One of the reasons I got started, my favourite wood place, Century Mill, a specialty wood workers supply place, was clearing out some old stock. The birdseye had some discolouration and a few water stains, I knew it was nothing that would not sand out, so I bargained from $4 a square ft down to $20 for two 4X8 sheets.

I have tons of tools, for this I had to buy all those red squeeze clamps at $1.99 each, I think I ended up with 48 of them. The high end glue will run you about $16-$20. Don't cheap out with Elmers or something.
I worked steady evenings after work for about 8-10 days. I used 2 1/2 quarts of 2 part Dupont Urethane automotive clear coat. (another $90).
The hardwood I used to clamp with I cut on the table saw so each drum had its own radius cut into the boards, best seen in that picture showing the seam assembly.
I also have a 5 hp compressor, regulator, filters, respirator and mid level quality spray gun.
Eventually I will get picky, dissassemble it all, and block wet sand with 1000, grit, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit, then some final cut polishing compound and a final buff with some Meguiars Gold wax. I have had many years of messing with drum re-finishing, although this was a big step up the ladder from anything I have tried before.

That looks good but would you not be better drilling outside in? Any flaw would be hidden.

I own a set of Signia's in the same color you started with.

So I'm both impressed with your work and appalled that you modified such a great finish! :p

Thanks deathmetal guy, thats what i like, inquisitive minds. One of the reasons I got started, my favourite wood place, Century Mill, a specialty wood workers supply place, was clearing out some old stock. The birdseye had some discolouration and a few water stains, I knew it was nothing that would not sand out, so I bargained from $4 a square ft down to $20 for two 4X8 sheets.

I have tons of tools, for this I had to buy all those red squeeze clamps at $1.99 each, I think I ended up with 48 of them. The high end glue will run you about $16-$20. Don't cheap out with Elmers or something.
I worked steady evenings after work for about 8-10 days. I used 2 1/2 quarts of 2 part Dupont Urethane automotive clear coat. (another $90).
The hardwood I used to clamp with I cut on the table saw so each drum had its own radius cut into the boards, best seen in that picture showing the seam assembly.
I also have a 5 hp compressor, regulator, filters, respirator and mid level quality spray gun.
Eventually I will get picky, dissassemble it all, and block wet sand with 1000, grit, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit, then some final cut polishing compound and a final buff with some Meguiars Gold wax. I have had many years of messing with drum re-finishing, although this was a big step up the ladder from anything I have tried before.

So, a couple of weeks work and around $300 you got a brand new set with a mindblowing custom finish? That's just as sweet as the finish! I refinished my cocktail drum and I like making and modifying my own hardware so I know these projects are lots of fun to do.

I have always had a soft spot for Premier kits - any drum building company still in business in England has a lot of heart.

Back