2 leg hi hat stands?

Nick G.

best bang for the buck ?

so ive decided instead of buying a new sound this month to buy something that may/should improve my comfort/set-up when playing

ive seen a number of different stands all varying in prices from the
Stagg HHD-508
Pdp 820 Series
DW 3500t
DW 5500TL
DW 9000

and others
what do you guys use/have used?

cheers

I use a PDP 820 2-leg stand, and as far as the actual hi-hat performance (i.e. the top cymbal goes up, the top cymbal goes down), it's more than adequate. The stand is solid without being too heavy, and I love how tight I can snug in my slave kick pedal. The solid plate under the pedal is nice, although it doesn't fold for transport that I can figure out. Having said that... if I had it to do all over again, I would buy a three-legged stand.

The two-legged stand is simply not as stable and doesn't do well at all on surfaces that are not precisely level. (Whenever does a gigging drummer encounter playing surfaces that aren't precisely level? Oh yeah. ALL THE TIME.) I think I would gladly trade that little bit of inconvenience involved with getting leg number three out of the way for some more stability.

My ad hoc solution to this has been to take a very old piece of hardware that looks like it was made to hold a cowbell or something very light back in the 60s or 70s and use it to "brace" the hi-hat stand with one of my cymbal stands. It works great, and weighs less than some big mounting arm/multi-clamp solution, but it's one more thing to set up, and I will likely go back to a three-leg stand when the time comes to get a new stand (whenever that is... this one probably has another ten or fifteen years left in it).

EDIT: Worth mentioning that some time after posting this, I managed to tweak the footplate a little and make this work great without the little clamp. It's plenty steady and I've not worried about it since.

Attachments

• hatbrace.jpg
    hatbrace.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3,200
Last edited:
best bang for the buck ?

so ive decided instead of buying a new sound this month to buy something that may/should improve my comfort/set-up when playing

ive seen a number of different stands all varying in prices from the
Stagg HHD-508
Pdp 820 Series
DW 3500t
DW 5500TL
DW 9000

and others
what do you guys use/have used?

cheers

I have used a DW5000 for about four years and I like it. I actually converted it into a no-leg stand and I clamp it to a cymbal stand that just has two legs. Instead of seven points of contact, I have just three, resulting in less gear to schlep and setup and a cleaner footprint. I use my hat and left foot a lot and it is stable enough for me.

These day's I use the medium weight DW two leg stand.
When I bought it, it was a 5000 series stand, but I think it's a 3500TL now.
I've had it a couple years, and there have been no problems at all.
It was a decent price, and it's been roadworthy. I have no fears of it falling apart or anything like that.

If you aren't concerned about how heavy the stand is, the Gibraltar 2 leg Liquid Drive hat stand is REALLY nice. VERY smooth, comfortable and responsive.

... Having said that... if I had it to do all over again, I would buy a three-legged stand.

The two-legged stand is simply not as stable and doesn't do well at all on surfaces that are not precisely level. (Whenever does a gigging drummer encounter playing surfaces that aren't precisely level? Oh yeah. ALL THE TIME.) I think I would gladly trade that little bit of inconvenience involved with getting leg number three out of the way for some more stability.
That has been my experience with every single two-legged hh stand I've ever played. I'll take 3 legs any day, but I can say that because I rarely use my double pedal - if I used it more, I might change my tune on that!

I really like your solution!

I use a Yamaha 9000 series two leg stand with a centre brace. Bought it around 3 years ago. I think it's discontinued. Anyhow, built like all Yamaha top line gear. No issues whatsoever.

I have issues with two-legged hi-hat stands. I think it's a physics problem. A triangle is most stable when you actually have three sides of it. When you take away one side, and replace it with the pedal, it's not as stable because the pedal is not meant to be the third angle of the triangle. When I had one I had to tilt the hi-hat stand a bit to get it to be stable, but then my cymbals were now at an angle, I prefer my hi-hats to be flat. and then there's the bulkiness of the stand itself, a DW 9000 two-legged hi-hat stand was so heavy and it felt wobbly to me. Imagine a lighter stand with only two legs? That must be a nightmare.

Give me three legs anyday, and the hi-hat stand can be nice and light, which is good for traveling, and playing!

I have absolutely no stability issues on hardwood, carpet or cement floors with my Tama two legged Hi Hat stand, but with my other kits using just a single pedal, I use three legged stands.

DSC_0386.jpg

Dennis

Definitely not on the cheap side of hardware, but my Pearl H2000 Elim is absolutely awesome. Most solid piece of equipment I've ever seen.

So much versatility.

I don't play doubles and I still like the two legged stand because It is heavy and I can tilt the whole stand toward me.
I also like the lever action of the Tama.

The Tama Lever Glide is a GREAT stand. It's actually 2 and a half legs. Smooth as silk and strong as an ox. Rock solid as well.

I never had problems with wobly stands, even when mounted a quite havy sidesnare to hit, when the 2 feets are placed right.

I play this very very nice model:
1127022_15253_popup.jpg

Build like a tank and still easy to carry arround.

That photo really drives home something important: it isn't the number of legs so much as the spread. I think a three-legged stand with a small spread would be less stable than a two-legged stand with a big spread. I have a no-leg stand clamped to a two-legged cymbal stand (three points of contact instead of seven) and it is quite stable because of the large spread of the the cymbal stand legs and clamps that hold the hihat stand so far out.

2 legs 2.JPG

2 legs 1.JPG

2 legs 3.JPG

That photo really drives home something important: it isn't the number of legs so much as the spread. I think a three-legged stand with a small spread would be less stable than a two-legged stand with a big spread. I have a no-leg stand clamped to a two-legged cymbal stand (three points of contact instead of seven) and it is quite stable because of the large spread of the the cymbal stand legs and clamps that hold the hihat stand so far out.

What'd you use on the rivets, a drill or grinder?

I sold my legless stand for a pdp concept two leg. Today on my gig, I had the stand legs open as far as they could go but it still slid forward. I had to turn the spike scews i to the rug a lot and it helped a bit but is there a better way to secure besides adding a support clamp to it?

I sold my legless stand for a pdp concept two leg. Today on my gig, I had the stand legs open as far as they could go but it still slid forward. I had to turn the spike scews i to the rug a lot and it helped a bit but is there a better way to secure besides adding a support clamp to it?
I've had pretty good results using K-Brakes HiStops to stop my hihat stand creeping forward on carpet/rug.

Recently bought a Mapex Falcon 2 legged hi-hat stand which also converts easily to a no leg. Did quite a bit of research before I bought it & came to the conclusion that it was the best one on the market :)
No regrets. Super stable, super smooth :)

Back