What do you make of this quote?

The print media always claims (suriously) they are not shaping opinion but only reflecting it and I think there's the same thing going on in the music biz...
More than anything, I am disturbed by my spelling of "provocative"!

No worse than your spelling of seriously!

The media only shapes opinions for those not strong enough to have their own. Sure they offer perspectives, often biased, but people need to assess all the information they can get and make their own minds up. Same goes for music and labels/radio. People are free to explore whatever music they want, and it's never been easier (or less-expensive) than in the Internet age. If they fail to do that, it's their fault, not the music industry's.

Hmm, that does sort of bring it around to T-Bone's statement after all...

Bermuda

Music is an appliance, like a microwave oven. It's basically just noise that people find pleasing to have going on in the background of their lives, sort of like a soundtrack.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. That's what it is, it's what people want and like and relate to. How that affects musicians is something else altogether.

I read a review of Lady Gaga's recent run of shows in the New York Times and she definitely hires musicians to play the music that accompanies her show.

But I have a real problem with the idea that anyone who bought tickets to see Lady Gaga perform on stage did so because of the music those musicians were playing.

No worse than your spelling of seriously!

lol - a rather SPURIOUS typo ... that's why I've only ever had one secretarial job. Seriously :)

The media only shapes opinions for those not strong enough to have their own. Sure they offer perspectives, often biased, but people need to assess all the information they can get and make their own minds up. Same goes for music and labels/radio. People are free to explore whatever music they want, and it's never been easier (or less-expensive) than in the Internet age. If they fail to do that, it's their fault, not the music industry's.

I'm hearing you. In other words, they're bringing across the luke warms - the swinging voters. And they would be the fastest-growing segment of the musical marketplace since are increasingly time poor and don't have the time to spend hours with their heads buried between the speakers, emotions riding every nuance. More's the pity.

Guess I'm just an old fogey pining for the glory days ... and even getting too senile to type properly lol

Last edited:
And you think very clearly IMO

Here is another quote I find provokative:

Consumers have musical choice? What musical choice? In or society we choose only from what we are given to choose from, and that choice is determined by 5 major media corporations who control the exposure outlets that consumers depend on for their entertainment.​
Christopher Knab, FourFront Media and Music

I guess Knab has never heard of independent labels? If you look hard enough, you will find something good. The "interweb" is flooded with all sorts of information, good and bad. DIY has always been popular prior to the internet and has exploded as technology has made making music cheaper and more accessible. Yes, there is loads of crap out there, but there are also loads of gems waiting to be discovered.

Music is a universal human language. I doubt it is every going to go away. And if people don't like the choices they are given, they will do something about it. As the old saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself! Or something like that!

I think my prejudice of 21st century music may be based on my age. However, I still purchase loads music, mainly in vinyl format and sometimes CDs. I do not subscribe to the notion that music should be free for everyone to download. I have had arguments with a couple of friends who think all music should be free. That being said, I do frequent blogs to download stuff that is out of print or impossible to find. Plus, nothing beats the live experience. You can never download that.

There are some fantastic things going on all around the globe . WOMAD among many others bring the sharing musical world closer together , it is expanding rapidly way beyond belief . We open our hearts and minds , however , within the industry there appears to be a few who seem to be a sheep short in the top paddock. Maybe they shall find them some sunny day soon .

I was about to quote almost every post because I ve read alot of interesting responses. I love everyones thoughts here... I think "we" can all agree that music is a common ground and that when some guy says " People dont like music" its just a statement from someone who has had an issue with his experiences and is looking to place the blame on anyone other than himself.

Obviously the entire world loves and and has loved music in one way or another... Fads dont last, but evolve.. Bla bla bla(another ramble deleted)... But I know that I have been somewhat biased towards what I like and what I listen to...

My job right now is being a chauffuer(?) for a very nice guy who listens to nothing but hip hop or rap or R n B.... He pays me so I let him pick the music, and thats fine. I ve heard the new Lil Wayne CD about 20 times now and I hear nothing but the music played in the background, and while I hate it I love hearing something new that I would never have heard if he had not played it...

So the one day I had to use my own car to drive my friend Kahhar to pick up his daughter in Philly I happened to have Incubus playing, it was MY vehicle so I played MY tunes LOL... I had the one song from "Morning View" playing... the one with the Asian accents and sitars(Aquaeus Transmission?) and when he heard it, he asked me...."Who is this, this is the @#$%!!!"
I said its Incubus... he said "Damn I never heard of them!".... I offered to make a cd of mixed tunes from all the Incubus albums... He is now a fan of Incubus and I have listened to and learned a few songs from Lil Wayne....Very unexpected but appreciated nonetheless.

Its crazy how you can find something that really speaks to you but has been hidden because of a lack of exposure, whether its by choice or chance, its there and waiting to be heard by anyone that will listen... If there s someone out there that hates music, they just arent listening... Sorry to them, cus' they re missin out...as I have recently learned.

Back