How to get a dent out of a head?

Bob Smith

So i put a dent in my twelve inch tom head and i can tell it's messing up the sound of my tom. So i would like to get it out if possible so that i don't have to get a new head.

What would be the best way to do this?

Well i heard that if you wave a lighter over the dent rapidly it will take it out?

I don't see how it's worth it to take a dent out of a head. It could interfere with the tuning, but I really think the most feasible option would be to pick up a new head. If you have a dent in a head, I would expect its life span to be reaching its end. Just curious, what model head is it?

Well i heard that if you wave a lighter over the dent rapidly it will take it out?

That's not going to do it.. if the head has a dent that is affecting the sound, it's time to replace it. Using a lighter will only result on more damage.

It's a stock head the came with my mapex. So it's a remo head.
MAbey i can finally convince myself to get new heads now.
I've been thinking about getting Coated G2 batters with Coated G1 resonates.

It's sorta' a Remo head. Remo makes stock heads for almost all drum manufacturers. If it says "...by Remo" then it's a stock head, made by Remo but at a price point agreed upon by Remo and it's client (in this case Mapex). They are rarely, (IMO - Never) as good as the heads you'd buy retail. The Mylar is usually a grade down so even an Ambassador style head is not really an Ambassador. And they sound like that

I've been thinking about getting Coated G2 batters with Coated G1 resonates. MAbey i can finally convince myself to get new heads now.

I would very much encourage you to do that. I believe that most drum sets never sound like the instrument they were made to be until all of the stock heads (batter and reso heads, bass drum front and back, snare batter and snare side) have been replaced by good, fresh out of the box, off the shelf heads and tuned well. It's just part of the instrument and yes I speak from many experiences on different drum brands and series.

As far as getting dents out, I agree with those that have said it's time to move on. This would be my feeling even if they were not stock heads but.....consider it extra motivation. I did hear that you might be able to get some dents out (temporarily) with a hair dryer but I've never tried that.

I have a big box of G2 coated batters and G1 clears ready to go on my YMCAN kit right now. I've been going through a big time head changing season as I have 6 snares that have needed head changes, an entire Yamaha Stage Custom set at my church that I just outfitted with new Aquarian heads, my Gretsch live kit which has some of the new Evans G Plus heads on them (so far so good) and then the aforementioned 6-pc. YMCAN kit at home which will get the G2/G1's. Go grab some new heads and transform those beautiful Mapex drums into killer sounding tubs!

Jim

To Jim's fine post I would only add that the primary causes of dented heads (apart from outright abuse) are stick angles too high, ball-tipped sticks, and playing on heads tuned too loose.

It's not heavy-hitting per se; my son is a very heavy hitter and plays with rock bands unmiked--but he's never dented a head and he plays nothing but single-plies.

The best thing to do is to buy a Remo Dent Remover Tool. Otherwise known as a RDRT.
They can be found at a few very specialized shops, Ask around at a few, you will find it.

I doubt one dent will make a noticeable difference, just use this as an excuse to beat the crap out of those Remo heads, then you can get new ones.

I like the way you guys think.
So i guess i'll be posting pictures of my new heads when i get them in the "your gear" section.

I think the G2 over G1 is the best idea so far. Maybe a blow dryer would provide enough heat to level out the dent, but its been so many years since I needed one its only a guess.
Replace them all, take some time tuning and enjoy the new sound.

A dent is a section of head which has been made both longer and thinner than the surrounding areas by an impact (forgive the pedantry, I'm trying to establish a logic chain). The only real "fix" would be to compress the mylar back into shape, which is simply not going to happen, because it is not particularly malleable. Heata makes sheets of mylar thicken and contract, like a shrinky-dink. The lighter would likely thicken/shrink the surrounding area with the dent, stretching the dented mylar flat(ish), which would create a couple different thicknesses, and probably a brittle spot.

Totally not worth it, IMO.

When I was working with a drumline, I saw the lighter trick in action. It does work, but the only reason they do it is because it's a quick fix right before a show (it's like using "Inflate-a-flat"...it's not a permanent solution, but it will get you to the tire shop). The judges count you down if your heads have dents in them, I guess. But, yes, there is a lighter trick that works for sure, at least on marching bass drums...

MAbey i can finally convince myself to get new heads now.
I've been thinking about getting Coated G2 batters with Coated G1 resonates.

While I can appreciate the cost of new heads, the lighter trick is only a very temporary fix. Heads are like tires for your car, they will wear while they do their intended job.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

The lighter trick does work,

When i was drum captain my bass 5 was always denting his head, and so i would de-dent it with a lighter.

ive only ever used it on marching basses though.
It didnt seem to work as well with the marching tenors.

Blow dryer.

Takes it out within a minute or so. just blow dry the area. WITH THE HEAD STILL ON THE DRUM!
Yes, it works, and yes, it makes a big difference.

Blow dryer.

Takes it out within a minute or so. just blow dry the area. WITH THE HEAD STILL ON THE DRUM!
Yes, it works, and yes, it makes a big difference.

Using a blow drier on a head to remove a dent is pretty much pointless. You're altering the polymer makeup of the film. The best solution is to buy a new drumhead. Assuming your setup and technique are fine, you may consider a thicker head (G Plus if you want to stay with single ply or a G2/EC2 double ply).

I heard (never tried) that if you iron the inside of the head with a clothes iron (with some cloth between the iron and the head)...you can iron it out. I may try this just for S&G.

The blowdryer sounds interesting. I would think it would work better from inside the head.

OK it alters the polymer makeup of the film. Does it affect the sound or durability?

If I could iron dents from my heads and still have it sound good, I don't care if the polymer makeup is altered.

Back