My brand spanking new Mapex Saturn - Now with 100% more ROCK and 46% more ROLL

Naigewron

Platinum Member
On friday I got a call from my dealer (no, not that kind of dealer) that a pallet full of boxes with Mapex logos had arrived:

boxes_01.jpg

So of course, on Saturday morning I headed down there, stuffed the boxes in my little Corolla (with a floor tom riding shotgun) and brought them down to our little rehearsal room to unpack them:

shells_01.jpg

And after some assembly (kick drum heads and lugs), this is what the beast ended up looking like:

front_01.jpg
driver_01.jpg

The toms were very nicely tuned straight out of the box, but they were definitely tuned way too high for me. It literally took me less than two minutes to get the toms sounding amazing though, and I didn't even touch the reso heads. I imagine that once I start really digging into the tuning subtleties of this kit, it will sound mindblowingly good. Man, I love the tunability of high end drums.

I had originally ordered a Black Panther Brass Cat snare to go with the kit, but that part of the order got lost somewhere in the supply chain. Oh well, I guess my Black Beauty will have to suffice for now

So, current specs:

Drums:
14x6,5 Ludwig Black Beauty snare
12x9 rack tom
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom (BOOOOOM!)
24x18 kick drum (DOUBLE BOOOOOM!)

The finish is Arctic White with Black Nickel Hardware. Classic and versatile, and of course a white finish is always going to look killer on stage when it catches the different colours of the stage lights.

Cymbals:
(left to right)
14" Diril Traditional Hihat
18" Diril Traditional Crash
21" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride
18" Diril Traditional Crash
18" Wuhan China
18" Meinl MB20 Heavy Crash

I'll be experimenting with different cymbal setups. Those 18" crashes suddenly started to look pretty small next to that kick and those floor toms. Might have to break out my 19", 20" and 21" crashes instead

Last edited:
Ooohhh.......aaahhh!!

Nice Naige. They look great, bet they sound it too.

Corolla? Sure you're not gonna need 50% more car just to haul them around?

Just a heads up, the BB sounds a tiny bit nicer than the brass cat, not to mention you'll have 2 similar snares.

I say cancel the order and get a Saturn snare, they are seriously great snares.

Congrats btw, I kinda wish I had a 24.

Just a heads up, the BB sounds a tiny bit nicer than the brass cat, not to mention you'll have 2 similar snares.

I say cancel the order and get a Saturn snare, they are seriously great snares.

You've essentially read my mind, sir.

Beautiful kit, and I love the finish! That former member who was known to occasionally sing the virtues of Mapex Saturn drums had a large kit in that same finish, IIRC. :)

Very nice, love everything about it. What kind of music do you play? BTW whatever happened to sticks?

Thanks for your comments guys! Just got back from rehearsal, and even the bass player and guitarist commented on how good this kit sounds!

Beautiful kit, and I love the finish! That former member who was known to occasionally sing the virtues of Mapex Saturn drums had a large kit in that same finish, IIRC. :)
Yeah, I figured someone would pick up on that ;-)

When do the other 27 drums arrive?
Oh man, I hardly know what to do with five.

What kind of music do you play?
I play both kinds: Rock and roll.

Very nice, but why did you put the bass drum port hole dead center?

Dennis

Back