Problems with stand for practice pad

ChrisOD

Hi,

I recently purchased a 6" mountable RealFeel HQ practice pad, along with a Stagg LYD 25.2 stand to mount it on. However, although the pad fits tightly onto the stand, it tends to come loose after a few minutes of hitting. Loose to the extent that it beings to turn (i.e. spin slightly) while I'm practicing. Very annoying!

I've had a look and it appeared that the thread of the stand was not fixed solid and was, itself, turning slightly as I was attaching the pad to it. Not much, the pad seemed to fit fairly tightly when first attached, but enough to mean that a few minutes of hitting would loosen it. I've tried holding the threaded bit with pliers while tightly attaching the pad, but it still seems to come loose after a few minutes.

Apologies if I've not explained this too well, but is this a general problem with mountable practice pads? Does anybody have any recommendations for good stands or pads, or is this a common issue? Or are there any tricks to preventing a pad from coming loose?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Chris.

I would suggest the 14" ReelFeel pad, and use a regular snare stand.
This is what I do, and it works great.

You could use a snare stand with the smaller pad too. On the snare stand, you know how you can make the arms "hug" the snare, well you can do the same with the pads.
Just may have to adjust the arms to snuggly fit and hold the pad in place

Apologies if I've not explained this too well, but is this a general problem with mountable practice pads?

No need to apologise, I understand what you mean perfectly. Is it a cymbal stand or a stand designed specifically for the pad? I have the same issues when I mount them on a cymbal stand, which I do on my makeshift practice kit. Thus far I've just lived with it, but I agree that it's damn annoying and I'm gonna have to pursue other options as well. I'm thinking it's all the vibration that causes the problem. One idea I had was mounting a female thread housing to a base plate and then screwing the base plate on to the bottom of the pad.....hopefully that provides a little more stability and reduces the problem.

For my main pad, I just throw a 12" in a snare stand. Never a problem with that angle.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the suggestions.

I already have a 12" RealFeel pad on a snare stand, and this works well. I was hoping to set up a couple of pads in the positions of my small and medium toms, hence the need for a stand. Unless, of course, there is some alternative set-up that will do the job?

The stand itself is just a fairly cheap cymbal stand:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Stagg-LYD-25-2-Cymbal-Stand/dp/B00407ANZG

so maybe I need to look for something a little more expensive for my next one. I was just a bit worried that I'd have to stop practicing every minute or two because the pad became loose. I thought the 6" HQ RealFeel would be pretty sturdy, but I wasn't sure if this was the case. Hence the original posting!

Any further guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

I think I have the answer for ya :)

31U3BJ4Oa2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use a cheap camera tripod similar to this. I screw the plastic snap-plate of the tripod to the practice pad and pop it onto the stand. Works a treat, and is pretty solid providing you firmly tighten all the knobs. Check that the snap plate has a rubber surface for gripping goodness. It can be set it to pretty much any height that I want too.

Try this - Grab a camera and see if the hole in the bottom matches the thread of the stand that you already have, that means your pad will likely fit the tripod screw :)

Edit - This is the 'snap plate' I was talking about, similar to what I have. You can actually get different sized screws for them if needed.
51rrfvvyVAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use a cheap camera tripod similar to this. I screw the plastic snap-plate of the tripod to the practice pad and pop it onto the stand. Works a treat, and is pretty solid providing you firmly tighten all the knobs. Check that the snap plate has a rubber surface for gripping goodness. It can be set it to pretty much any height that I want too.

Try this - Grab a camera and see if the hole in the bottom matches the thread of the stand that you already have, that means your pad will likely fit the tripod screw :)

Edit - This is the 'snap plate' I was talking about, similar to what I have. You can actually get different sized screws for them if needed.
51rrfvvyVAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Think outside the box"
" What box?"

Hi All,

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Just an update. I tried the thread-lock approach, buying a tube of Loctite 243. Applied this and after a hour or so of practice the pad hasn't moved an inch! Great stuff. No doubt it'll shift eventually, but it's holding a lot better than it was before.

Thanks!

Chris.

WOW!! Who'd a thunk it? I travel all the time for work and take my small practice pad with me.

57162-9255e0280dd43234dd8b53dfa4e8df43.jpg

I usually carry along the stand in my bag, but my camera tripod is easily half the weight.

I'm leaving on a trip in the morning, and am going to unpack my pad right now to see if it fits.

Very cool, and great timing. Nice post!!

I use a 6" real feel on a pearl cymbal stand. I screw the wingnut on the stand upside down, then screw the pad on, and tighten the wingnut to the pad.

Hi all,

Just to resurrect this...

I'm looking to mount an 8" pad as a practice floor tom, and the camera tripod idea seems like the way to go, both for cost and positioning. The basic cymbal stand is a bit expensive and the snare stand is a little big and also a little expensive.

My problem now is finding a decent, value-for-money camera tripod with a 8mm thread. I'm UK based, and most of those I've seen seem to have a slightly smaller thread (6mm?). Looking on the internet, it's difficult to actually find out what the thread size is for most tripods.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable stand?

Thanks, again, for your help with this.

Chris.

Hey Chris, glad to see this thread resurrected actually because I think it'll help a lot of folks out :)

You should be able to buy thread adapters from any good camera store, someone who sells pro stuff. Try pro-video outlets as well. A nuts & bolts supplier may have something that would work too. But this looks pretty much identical to mine:

TripodThreadAdapter2771.jpg

(It is upside down in the photo, and the slots in the top allow you to tighten it into the pad with a coin)

Back