New Evans snare head - Heavyweight

Interested to hear and play it.

Two 10 mil plies, PLUS a dot? That's going to sound like a table top, not a drum. Yuck...

Two 10 mil plies, PLUS a dot? That's going to sound like a table top, not a drum. Yuck...

On some of the more active drums, putting on something really heavy and then cranking it up to what would normally be too high on a lighter head can sound really cool in my opinion.

I have had a single ply G 14 on my snare before and can't imagine 2 ply 20. Say hello to wrist and hand problems if you are a heavy hitter.

I have had a single ply G 14 on my snare before and can't imagine 2 ply 20. Say hello to wrist and hand problems if you are a heavy hitter.

Hmm...And why is that? I'm curious; what does head thickness and/or ply amount has anything to do with hand problems?

Im looking forward to trying this! Im a die hard coated ST guy, but it will interesting to A/B the Heavyweight with the ST.
Thats same thickness as an Emperor X. Drummers have using that for 12 yrs now, its still one of Remo's best sellers and Its not like slamming a Kevlar head- so, I doubt that there are ton of wrist/hand troubles, unless u have poor technique..

With Evans quality and consistency, I would bet they will do well with this for the heavier rock , metal and punk drummers. Its cool to also see that Kenny Aronoff switched over and is using em too!

Emperor Xs are too much for my wood snares but I don't mind them on brass. I like they way they feel. Even cranked up, they don't feel like a table top. I will definitely try one of these new Evans.

Im looking forward to trying this! Im a die hard coated ST guy, but it will interesting to A/B the Heavyweight with the ST.
Thats same thickness as an Emperor X. Drummers have using that for 12 yrs now, its still one of Remo's best sellers and Its not like slamming a Kevlar head- so, I doubt that there are ton of wrist/hand troubles, unless u have poor technique..

With Evans quality and consistency, I would bet they will do well with this for the heavier rock , metal and punk drummers. Its cool to also see that Kenny Aronoff switched over and is using em too!

Yeah, they appear to be very similar to the Aquarian Hi-Impact heads. Between that and the Remo version, this type of head has been around for a while.

Emperor Xs are too much for my wood snares but I don't mind them on brass. I like they way they feel. Even cranked up, they don't feel like a table top. I will definitely try one of these new Evans.

Im trying em too. Agree w/ you , and yes the Emperor X always seemed to work well with my metal snares. They weren't too thick and stiff, in fact they played very nice when tightened up on my brass and steel snare drums. But Evans is always experimenting with different films and ideas. What they bring out usually works very well.

It may take a bit of tuning (extra 40 seconds) but I'm sure they didn't put out a new head that sounds ......... like a table top.

Let's not pass judgement before we play the head... ;-)

Both the Heavyweight snare batter and the EMAD Heavyweight are incredibly dynamic (far more than you would expect out of heads that thick) and are actually quite versatile. You may find that they're not the ones for you, but there are many people who have been looking for the ultimate durability without the sacrifice of dynamics.

Kenny Aronoff is digging it, Anton Fig is digging it, Matt Halpern is digging it.

With regards to the EMAD Heavyweight, the sound is incredible and the tone (even will feathering the kick) is full-bodied. From the moment I mounted the first prototype on a kick drum, this head became my favorite EMAD.

The EMAD Heavyweight seems to be the first bass drum head with the Level 360 logo on it... does this mean that the rest of the Level 360 bass drum heads will be rolling out around the same time?

Let's not pass judgement before we play the head... ;-)

Both the Heavyweight snare batter and the EMAD Heavyweight are incredibly dynamic (far more than you would expect out of heads that thick) and are actually quite versatile. You may find that they're not the ones for you, but there are many people who have been looking for the ultimate durability without the sacrifice of dynamics.

Kenny Aronoff is digging it, Anton Fig is digging it, Matt Halpern is digging it.

With regards to the EMAD Heavyweight, the sound is incredible and the tone (even will feathering the kick) is full-bodied. From the moment I mounted the first prototype on a kick drum, this head became my favorite EMAD.

i didnt even notice on EMAD heavyweight. thats gonna be some kick!

did you also try it with the patch?

i didnt even notice on EMAD heavyweight. thats gonna be some kick!

did you also try it with the patch?

Yes, these will be shipping with the Black Nylon patch by default. I prefer the sound with a felt beater and without the patch (which is fine, since I'm far from being a heavy hitter). You don't have to be a heavyweight to hit one though!

Hmm...And why is that? I'm curious; what does head thickness and/or ply amount has anything to do with hand problems?

The heavier the head and the tighter the more energy is passed up the sticks to your hands. I have a slight case of arthritis in my hands and normally play with the snare batter a little loser than I want to help absorb some energy. I don't play out so the only personaware of the sound change is me. I like tight heads but have had to loosen them a bit as I got older.

The heavier the head and the tighter the more energy is passed up the sticks to your hands. I have a slight case of arthritis in my hands and normally play with the snare batter a little loser than I want to help absorb some energy. I don't play out so the only personaware of the sound change is me. I like tight heads but have had to loosen them a bit as I got older.

Ah, I see... That explains it.

Back