Travis Orbin

Breadmonkey

Pioneer Member
Did a search of the drummers forum and nothin' came up for this guy so here goes:

Anyone heard of this guy? He was a member of Periphery (http://www.myspace.com/periphery) and is now a member of Sky Eats Airplane (http://www.myspace.com/skyeatsairplane).

Have to say his playing is mind-blowing. His double kick work is unbelievably tight and he really constructs every part he plays (lots of transcribing parts which makes it easier for mere mortals to follow what he's doing in these two bands). I have to say, I way prefer his Periphery stuff but that's not to take away from S.E.A who are awesome as well.

Check out his kit setup, right out of Mike Mangini's book by the looks of thinks. Check this vid out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cAlRjO1oSw

^^^I was completely sickened by the near constant changes between left and right hand lead. Incredible! Also, have to put in a word for his tasty use of ghost notes preceeding accents in a lot of his grooves (particularly Icarus Lives) The guy is a genius!

Yo dude yeah i know Travis Orbin, i bet most people on this forum who read this are going who is that? Man he is one of the sickest drummers i have ever heard by far, he could put most pro drummers to shame. He has such a mathematical understanding of polyrhythms and rudiments that it boggles the mind. I am a huge Periphery fan and was saddened to see him leave but he is one of the best that i have ever heard without a shadow of a doubt.

Am trying his kit setup (sort of, no cable hats) and man it is tricky as hell to get around but working movement around the kit, odd time sigs and double pedal stuff at the same time on that setup is damn good practice

Travis is better than 3/4 of the guys who grace the Modern Drummer stage. When you hear him, you hear something that you haven't heard before. A walking metronome, he is. For sure the most underrated drummer of our time.

He's been my biggest source of inspiration for a couple of months now. He's also been kind enough to answer a few questions over twitter. I have read music and studied theory for almost a decade now and I still don't know how he comes up with some of his work.

I like the way he uses the dual hi-hat set-up. It fits the songs & doesn't seem too flashy or uneccessary. Sometimes complex foot patterns detract from the overall song but his parts usually seem to groove right along.

I'm definitely a big fan of Travis, he's inspired me to look at drumming in a completely different way, at least from a technical standpoint. His setup and playing has opened new in my mind, and sure as heck makes me want to practice more, haha!

Hey, I am so grateful to be on this forum - without which I would not have found Travis Orbin.

Now when people say "Travis is the best!" - I'll know for sure they ain't talkin' 'bout Barker - LOL

I have been playing open-handed for almost a year now and this is inspiration for a lifetime - Thanks!

You know there's something wrong in this world when you see 2 pages of threads about Travis Barker and just two topics for a marvelous drummer like Travis Orbin.
Let's change this trend.

A very interesting drummer from my perspective. I'm not really into the music he plays, but I discovered him after I converted to open-handed drumming and started setting up my kit like this:

kitt1.jpg

So I was pretty stoked when I found Travis on youtube. I got all sorts of ideas by watching him, so he turned out to be a pretty big influence on me. Great drummer!

Back