Show Off Your DW Kit

DW made them, or someone made them for DW. I found the kit in the DW showroom, along with two other stave kits, one walnut and one maple. The walnut was by far the best, but that was not available, sadly. Not that the oak is bad... :)

Hmm interesting. Probably the same company that makes the stave snares for them, nice, lucky you! Thanks for your answer, Hefu.

I'd love to see the walnut one also... I've had a walnut snare built by a friend of mine who does that - one piece steam bent - and I love it! Walnut is really smooth and I play it loose and heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_6879-1.jpg
    IMG_6879-1.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 2,170
This is my one of a kind DW Prototype Oak Stave kit!
Sounds huge, is quite heavy, but oh, so cool!
The hoops on the bass drum is maple.
It's very cool that the shells are scoped out, the re-rings are a part of the shells!

Prototype DW that's just nuts?! Are those one ply shells? Did they use the super solid technique on those shells? Loop us in if you ever do a vid or audio sample. I'm totally geeked out.

Prototype DW that's just nuts?! Are those one ply shells? Did they use the super solid technique on those shells? Loop us in if you ever do a vid or audio sample. I'm totally geeked out.

If those are stave.. then they are sectioned shells Jeff. However,.. he states they have the build in re-rings.. just like the Microwaved Super-Solid shells they use for snares.

Here he put alot more photos. I wonder who is the shell builder.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?259031-My-new-DW-prototype-stave-shell-Oak-kit!

Attachments

• DW SS LR.jpg
    DW SS LR.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 2,218
1382141_10151944230733829_15626184_n.jpg

1174818_10151899946958829_1826431034_n.jpg

Now let's see...
I have some pictures from the showroom, and I might have been wrong...
There are more than three kits! The Mahogany kit I never got a picture on! The maple one is stain in ebony, and there is another maple kit on tube, and perhaps another one beside it!

Anyway, from what John Good said the shells were made by a conga maker in Thailand, who supposedly is the best around. The shells are stave, and the scoped out, as he put it.

Well, I don't know, but they sound huge, and they sound GOOD!
I just lend the kit to a friend with a great drum studio, so maybe I can get some sound clips along the way.

Some more pics from the DW showroom, all stave kits:

Now let's see...
I have some pictures from the showroom, and I might have been wrong...
There are more than three kits! The Mahogany kit I never got a picture on! The maple one is stain in ebony, and there is another maple kit on tube, and perhaps another one beside it!

Anyway, from what John Good said the shells were made by a conga maker in Thailand, who supposedly is the best around. The shells are stave, and the scoped out, as he put it.

Thanks Hefu. Very cool ! Probably the manufacturer in Thailand has alot of experience.

How do you compare to ply shell sound ? Superior ?? or just different ??

Different. A lot of attack, and a LOT of low end. Not the usual DW low end, though.
I have 10, 12 and 14" toms, I wish I had a 16" also, but sound wise the 14" is more like a 16 or 18 in sound, if you want. The bas drum is a beast, I brought it to a church gig once. Bad choice! It was way too loud, I should have brought the 14x18" collector maple kick...

I did record an album with the bass drum, but by the time the mix was done, it was all sound replaced, since the producer was that kind of guy, not because it needed to be done.

Here is my brand-new DW Collector's kit: black diamond finish ply w/ black chrome hardware.

The sizes:
7x13 black nickel over brass snare
7x10 rack tom, maple X-shell
8x12 rack tom, maple X-shell
12x14 suspended floor tom, maple VLX
14x16 suspended floor tom, maple VLX
20x22 virgin kick, maple X-shell

I know the pics are low-resolution, I will post better ones once I get everything set up. Now all I need to do is build a killer looking and functional rack system (most likely cobbled together with DW 9000 series odds and ends).

Attachments

• IMG_6726.JPG
    IMG_6726.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,983
  • IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,944
  • IMG_6719.JPG
    IMG_6719.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,949
Very, very, very nice JJ. Ready to pull some canon balls with this! Must feel thunderous! Congrats!

Here is my brand-new DW Collector's kit: black diamond finish ply w/ black chrome hardware.

The sizes:
7x13 black nickel over brass snare
7x10 rack tom, maple X-shell
8x12 rack tom, maple X-shell
12x14 suspended floor tom, maple VLX
14x16 suspended floor tom, maple VLX

I know the pics are low-resolution, I will post better ones once I get everything set up. Now all I need to do is build a killer looking and functional rack system (most likely cobbled together with DW 9000 series odds and ends).

Gorgeous................lover the finish

All of my old pictures have been wiped from their host site so here is the most current picture of the absolute favorite of my three kits.

DW classic 22x14,14x14,12x8, 14x5 1/2" snare .

Sabian 20" Manhattan ride, 14" dark hats, 16" thin, 17" hhxtreme crashes..

Attachments

• IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,778
DW Performance Series, Gun Metal Gray Metallic Lacquer
18x24, 10x14, 16x18 + 6.5x14 Thin Aluminum

Attachments

• DW Perf kit w-rack-sm.jpg
    DW Perf kit w-rack-sm.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 1,731
DW owners unite!

Does this thread exist already?

Tell everyone about yours, why you love it, share pics and tell everyone else how much better your kit is than theirs. Go Dubbers!

Back