budget isolation/closed back headphones

Goreliscious

I wanna get some budget isolation/closed back headphones for some home recording so I can hear the click track. I'm not really fussed about sound quality, I just wanna be able to hear the click track loud enough (I hit hard) without the sound bleeding out loads.

GAK and Digital Village sell em for as little as £15 - £20, anyone got any experience of ultra budget headphones like these? E.g Sennheiser HD 201?

I'm not interested in techno-snobs high and mighty opinions, (to me these will be an upgrade from my DIY method of wearing iPod earphones with ear defenders over the top), I just wanna know that they're not gunna fall apart in 5 minutes/bleed loads of sound/do a rubbish job of closing off ambient noise.

Any user experience would be appreciated. Cheers

Most of the low-end closed-backed headphones don't do enough of an isolation job to cancel out your drums safely. I actually think that the ear-defender, bud-earphones system is better in this situation.

Yeah.. I do the same, earmuffs over earphones.

Been saving for a while and finally next week I'm getting some Sennheiser HD280Pro's.
They're listed at $99.

Apparently anything below that price range is pretty useless on drums.. :/

Cheers.

Yeah.. I do the same, earmuffs over earphones.

Been saving for a while and finally next week I'm getting some Sennheiser HD280Pro's.
They're listed at $99.

Apparently anything below that price range is pretty useless on drums.. :/

Cheers.

Agreed. On drums, yes. You have to be very, very careful about what you use in relation to drums.

Extreme Isolation headphones. There are 2 models, a $60 one and a $100 one. I got the $60 one and it works very well on blocking sound, however I had some problems with it breaking, so I'd recommend the $100 one.

Vic Firth also makes a pair for $70, I use them and I find that they're very good.

I just wanna be able to hear the click track loud enough (I hit hard) without the sound bleeding out loads.

I'm not interested in techno-snobs high and mighty opinions, (to me these will be an upgrade from my DIY method of wearing iPod earphones with ear defenders over the top), I just wanna know that they're not gunna fall apart in 5 minutes/bleed loads of sound/do a rubbish job of closing off ambient noise.

I'm far from a techno snob, although I do have some high & mighty opinions. But, I'll spare you, and give you a completely objective perspective: you're asking for pro-level phones at an ear-bud price. I don't know of such a thing. It seems like you want good sound even though you said "I'm not really fussed about sound quality" You should be, if you're serious about what you're doing.

But if sound is genuinely secondary, try the Peltor red & black hearing protectors which sell for about $30 in the US, and use your ear-buds. Note that if you have long hair, you'll need to pull it out of the way in order for the muffs to make a good seal around your ears. If they don't fit snug to your head, they can't provide much isolation, and that applies to any over-the-ear phones you get.

Good luck,

Bermuda

You could try a cheap pair of isolation headphones, but I doubt they would sound any good, and also probably won't keep outside noise out. I have two pairs of isolation headphones. The Vic Firth ones which are I think around $60- not bad but they use more of a clamp to your head technique to keep sound out. I also have a pair of Shure SRH440 which were $100- I love these, better sound isolation then the Vic Firth, comfortable, and excellent sound quality, I use them all the time to listen to music. Bottom line is your going to get what you pay for, and I would suggest saving up and getting a better quality headphone.

I'd recommend metrophones! They aren't budget as such but are extremely comfortable to wear for a long time and the isolation is awesome!

The built in click is just an added bonus!

Back