Rim shot detuning. How to prevent it?

tard, thanks for the info (I put approx prices to fit a ten lug drum (batter head only)). Actual mileage will vary. NOTE: I don't rim shot too much, but like to do the rim clicks during breakdowns.

and Bill - Thanks for the great tip!

I've tried a couple products on the market without much success, but I found what I think to be the best and cheapest solution:

Go to the hardware store and buy 12-24 nuts in stainless steel. Thread them on to your rods and then once your snare is tuned to your liking, tighten the nuts down against the lugs. That locks them in place and the problem is absolutely solved. You can smash all day everyday and they never go anywhere. You can punch into a recording long after the fact and the drum will still sound exactly like it did the first time.

So I picked up a 100 piece bag of these nuts for $6.

My only question is, at this price and for what they do - WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE DO THIS?

The locks should go against the lug not the rim.

A picture is worth a 1000 words..lol

Bonzolead

Attachments

• Ian snare.jpg
    Ian snare.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,664
The locks should go against the lug not the rim.

A picture is worth a 1000 words..lol

Bonzolead

Thank you sir! Hella lot easier to mount against the lugs since most threads don't run the whole length of tension rod.

Awesome pic! Love Deep Purple growing up man!

Thank you sir! Hella lot easier to mount against the lugs since most threads don't run the whole length of tension rod.

Awesome pic! Love Deep Purple growing up man!

you think Ian could've smiled though..he looks very tired

now I want to get a set..lol

Bonzolead

Totally agree with you Bill!

I tracked down some 5mm nuts to go onto my DW Collectors kit ("true-pitch threads"). I tightened them down against the lugs, but I wanted more reassurance so I added a second nut to tighten against the rim (like product below). Luckily for me, the DW tension rods have threading the whole length of the rod so I can add the second nut against the rim. Like you said - cheap @ .99c for 10!

These are cool (although more expensive then my .99c nuts!) I like these because you lock them AGAINST THE RIM. That prevents the tension rod from turning counter clockwise. I'm gonna grab these for my Tama Artwood and Copeland snares.

What I like about Rimshot Locs is they unify the hardware and allow for all the strike energy to go straight into the chamber of the drum, keeping a consistent tone and pitch. When you think about it, for the cost we put into our drum kits themselves, these things are cheap for what they do, and how they look. You can barely see them on my kit.

I've tried a couple products on the market without much success, but I found what I think to be the best and cheapest solution:

Go to the hardware store and buy 12-24 nuts in stainless steel. Thread them on to your rods and then once your snare is tuned to your liking, tighten the nuts down against the lugs. That locks them in place and the problem is absolutely solved. You can smash all day everyday and they never go anywhere. You can punch into a recording long after the fact and the drum will still sound exactly like it did the first time.

If you want to change the tuning, with a drum key loosen the lug and it unlocks the nut. Re-tune and go if you're in a hurry, or ideally re-lock. You can keep a light weight little wrench in your stickbag for this purpose.

It's functionally similar to the "rimshot-lock" product that's newly out, but I like my solution better since it'll allows the rim to flex down under the shot (and they're dirt cheap).

You can actually see these on my new book cover. If you look closely the main snare and little 10" snare both have all the lugs locked down.

Sorry Bill, do you have any pictures on this? I would like to see how you did it and installed?

Thanks!

I think you would only be able to tighten against the lug because most tension rods have a shoulder where the threads stop and you would not be able to tighten them to the rim. Or you could try one of theses products I posted links to earlier. My personal preference is the Index tension rods from Rhythm Tech, I have them on my snares and they work like they say they do without any effect on tuning.

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/acc_pages/it.php
http://tightscrew.com/
http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/lockerzX.html
http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm
http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/otherproducts/item/bolttight/index.html

I had Rhythmtech rods on my snare with no problems at all, but last week I replaced them with Canopus Bolt tight leather washers. What a mistake. The leather washers take time to settle in and they detune until that time. They also suck the ring out of the drum. It was back to the Rhythmtech rods in no time flat. Those Rhythmtech rods make rough tuning by feel so easy. They don't detune for me and they are so smooth. If I could put them on all my drums I would, but my regular set is old Sonors that it won't fit.

The best thing about them is you don't have to go unscrewing or removing some nutty contraption to tune your drum.

Those rimshot locks look like they'll destroy your lugs. With the nut tight against the rim, it looks like it would cause the nutcerts to bash against the lug casing. Especially bad if the lug is soft metal.

I tried Lug locks and they didn't work for me. The tension rods would still loosen. I use 12-24 nuts. They don't damage the lugs. You don't have to lock them up that hard to be effective. Just thread them down the tension rod by hand until they bring up against the lug inserts, then give them not even a quarter turn with a 7/16 wrench.

Back