help! gonna purchase double pedals, advice needed please

JamesLyrie-Stewart

im a young metal drummer in China(just 16 XD). im gonna buy double pedals soon. drum is not so popular in China that i can't really find detailed information or recommendation on pedals. so i came here for help XD. ive heard that the pearl Demon Drive P3002D double pedal is pretty good, but i have never tried them(and i guess i can never try them before i buy it. cuz in China, almost, no drum stores.) so have anyone used or owned one here so that you can give some observations on this pedal?? and the price of DD here is around 4000RMB(RMB:US dollar=6:1?? im not sure...). my budget is 5000RMB. what about DW double pedals like 5002?? im gonna play heavy metal songs like Arch Enemy, Lamb of God etc. in addition to DD, can anyone recommend some pedals to me(within budget)?? i really need helps....THANKS!! \m/

If things are so hard to get, would it be easier to get another bass drum and a single pedal? Sure it'll be more expensive, but should you break anything, those parts would be easier to replace. Double pedals, although reliable, use parts that even we in the states have to special order when they break.

Do not buy a Demon Drive! The cool name will not improve your playing or make you faster. Personally I won't even use this pedal if it was given to me.

I suggest a Pearl Eliminator Power Shifter P-2002C.

Axis pedals are nice but hard on the wallet.

and my suggestion on the low budget end is the PDP 502 double pedal. I was extremely impressed by this pedal and feel and was just blown away by the price tag. I'm actually getting one of these for my electronic kit.

Good luck!

Do not buy a Demon Drive! The cool name will not improve your playing or make you faster. Personally I won't even use this pedal if it was given to me.

and my suggestion on the low budget end is the PDP 502 double pedal. I was extremely impressed by this pedal and feel and was just blown away by the price tag. I'm actually getting one of these for my electronic kit.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice! what about Tama speed cobra?? well, can you elaborate why you suggest P2002c?? why is it good? smooth? or fast??

Last edited:
How much is the Mapex Falcon in China? I've tried this pedal and the lower priced Yamaha and Sonor double pedals, and those pedals simply work. They don't look fancy but I was really surprised by them. I started with a dw 2002 for ridiculous 149 Euro and first thought I'd have to upgrade quickly. Then with some practice I learned that this pedal can do pretty anything - it's the player, not the pedal. (Still have this double pedal and don't feel the urge to upgrade, at least not yet. And even if I upgraded to a "fancy" pedal - this wouldn't make me any better/faster I'm sure). The best would be to check some pedals yourself to find what feels best to your feet. Also don't forget that even slight adjustments in spring tension can translate into quite different playing feel. And you could also experiment with exchanging the beaters. Basically there's really no need to invest huge sums into a double pedal.

Personally I also wasn't amused with the Demon Drive when I checked it out. But that was a quick check only. One can get accustomed to any pedal, and any pedal would work as long as it's not crappy design.

The PDP 502 looks like a cosmetically upgraded version of my dw 2002. If it's comparable in feel/quality also then rest assured this pedal is good enough for... pretty anybody.

How much is the Mapex Falcon in China? I've tried this pedal and the lower priced Yamaha and Sonor double pedals, and those pedals simply work. They don't look fancy but I was really surprised by them. I started with a dw 2002 for ridiculous 149 Euro and first thought I'd have to upgrade quickly. Then with some practice I learned that this pedal can do pretty anything - it's the player, not the pedal. (Still have this double pedal and don't feel the urge to upgrade, at least not yet. And even if I upgraded to a "fancy" pedal - this wouldn't make me any better/faster I'm sure). The best would be to check some pedals yourself to find what feels best to your feet. Also don't forget that even slight adjustments in spring tension can translate into quite different playing feel. And you could also experiment with exchanging the beaters. Basically there's really no need to invest huge sums into a double pedal.

Personally I also wasn't amused with the Demon Drive when I checked it out. But that was a quick check only. One can get accustomed to any pedal, and any pedal would work as long as it's not crappy design.

The PDP 502 looks like a cosmetically upgraded version of my dw 2002. If it's comparable in feel/quality also then rest assured this pedal is good enough for... pretty anybody.

mapex falcon in China, around 3000RMB. but my drum master said the place where the pedal made changes from Tianjin to Taishan(in Guangdong), where produces worse quality than Tianjin. so don't buy falcon in China

The currency calculator shows 5000rmb to be $794. With that, you can buy a whole lot of double pedal.​
Look at the Axis http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...e-pedal/446352000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0 at $569. Metal Godz everywhere love 'em.​
The Yamaha direct drive 9315 is sweet http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/yamaha-dfp-9315-double-pedal at $429. I have two Yamaha direct drive single pedals, and I love 'em. For me, they feel better than the Axis.​
Personally, I use a Sleishman, when I need a double pedal. Not only is it a double pedal, but it is a center pedal design. It has no main pedal/slave pedal. Both sides are mirror images of themselves. http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=43868&Category=Drum_Hardware at $449.99. And the Sleishman in action ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN5tuDPhMIY&feature=related

Hi there,

IMO you shouldn't go for the DD it feels just too light, instead you should try the Tama SpeedCobras or Pearl Eliminator Power Shifter P-2002C.

kthxbai

I wouldn't spend more than $250 for any pedal unless you have the money to blow.

I actually hate this pedal's with 300 adjustments for feel. John Bonham didn't have special pedal but he knew how to work that pedal.

I suggested the Pearl Power Shifter because it is smooth and the slave pedal has a great feel as well.

Good luck!

I totally disagree, I love my Demon Drives.
Sure, they wont make you better or faster (no pedal will...), but they do make it a lot easier for me to play at speed and get my heel/toe technique working smoothly.
I felt much better on the DD than on on any Axis pedals I've ever tried so, in the end of the day, its all about personal preference (as always with these things).
The best thing about them for me, is that the slave pedal feels almost exactly the same as the main pedal, a thing that really bothered me when I tried the Speed Cobras.

I can only give you one advice:
If you want more speed, go with a direct drive pedal. If you want more power and feel, go with a chain drive.

Best of luck with your decision.

I actually hate this pedal's with 300 adjustments for feel. John Bonham didn't have special pedal but he knew how to work that pedal.

I agree with you, but John Bonham didn't have the choice that's offered on today's market, and I would be interested to see what pedal he would choose if this amazing drummer was still around, in my opinion, it's great that pedals nowadays are offering many features that's allow each one of us to adjust our pedals to suits our playing abilities and the technique we're using, I see it as a considerable improvement within the last 15 years or so.

If you want more speed, go with a direct drive pedal. If you want more power and feel, go with a chain drive.

I would add felt (strap) driven pedals into the equation.

Choosing a pedal is indeed a very personal matter, no one can choose it for another player. A pair of shoes might be extremely comfortable for me and very uncomfortable for someone else.

Arky's suggestion of the Mapex Falcon is good one. Despite the comments regarding quality issues, which somehow surprise me, it is a pedal that's worthy of attention.

I used the same pedal for almost 30 years, when it was time to change, I had to face the dilema of choosing a new pedal, but which one? The market has so many offering, which cam to choose? what drive system to choose? regular footboard or longboard? what adjustement do I really need? so many questions to ask ourselves before making a choice, it can take a long time.

So with this in mind, I considered the Falcon, as this brilliantly designed pedal with no quality issue whatsover, has got the features of many pedals on the market all thrown into one single pedal design.

It has 2 differents cams for an even or accelerated course of the beater, 2 drive modes, chain or felt (strap), indepedent adjustments of the fooboard angle and beater angle, a reversible beater in which you insert interchangable weights (10g or 20g or none at all) and can fitted with a direct drive sytem (at extra cost, but not very expensive). Plus other useful extras.

I did purchase the Falcon, and I tried all the options (exept the direct drive unit) and they all work really well and you definitely feel the differences with each option, within a few days I was able to choose the best option for my playing. It is the best investment I've done on an accessory for years.

I recomand this pedal to anyone who are unsure about which type to choose, it has many type of pedals with it's own and unique design features.

I agree with you, but John Bonham didn't have the choice that's offered on today's market, and I would be interested to see what pedal he would choose if this amazing drummer was still around, in my opinion, it's great that pedals nowadays are offering many features that's allow each one of us to adjust our pedals to suits our playing abilities and the technique we're using, I see it as a considerable improvement within the last 15 years or so.

I would add felt (strap) driven pedals into the equation.

Choosing a pedal is indeed a very personal matter, no one can choose it for another player. A pair of shoes might be extremely comfortable for me and very uncomfortable for someone else.

Arky's suggestion of the Mapex Falcon is good one. Despite the comments regarding quality issues, which somehow surprise me, it is a pedal that's worthy of attention.

I used the same pedal for almost 30 years, when it was time to change, I had to face the dilema of choosing a new pedal, but which one? The market has so many offering, which cam to choose? what drive system to choose? regular footboard or longboard? what adjustement do I really need? so many questions to ask ourselves before making a choice, it can take a long time.

So with this in mind, I considered the Falcon, as this brilliantly designed pedal with no quality issue whatsover, has got the features of many pedals on the market all thrown into one single pedal design.

It has 2 differents cams for an even or accelerated course of the beater, 2 drive modes, chain or felt (strap), indepedent adjustments of the fooboard angle and beater angle, a reversible beater in which you insert interchangable weights (10g or 20g or none at all) and can fitted with a direct drive sytem (at extra cost, but not very expensive). Plus other useful extras.

I did purchase the Falcon, and I tried all the options (exept the direct drive unit) and they all work really well and you definitely feel the differences with each option, within a few days I was able to choose the best option for my playing. It is the best investment I've done on an accessory for years.

I recomand this pedal to anyone who are unsure about which type to choose, it has many type of pedals with it's own and unique design features.
I have two single Falcons and love them.

Back