Snare head

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I'm in the city for a few days and I thought I'd pick up a decent snare head while I'm here. I have a Yamaha Musashi 13" Oak Snare with an Evans HD Genera Dry on it right now (which is a great head in its own respect).

I recently joined a band and they play classic rock/blues (I'm a 90s alt-rock fella myself). I'm looking for a head with a lot of cut and crack but lots of response around the edges.

I was looking at Remo and Evans and found these to my liking :

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot

Remo Controlled Sound Reverse Dot

Remo Powerstroke III Coated w/ Power Dot

Evans EC Reverse Dot

As I said, looking for a fat crack that's not toneless, with an outer edge that's still good for ghost notes and articulation.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks guys!

P.S. Also, what's a good 13" reso head to pair with one of these?

Personally speaking I'm not a fan of heads with power dots, I find they stifle the response of the snare in the sweet spot just off-center of the head...but that's just my take on it.

I take it you're looking for something that has some kind of muffling? The Remo Coated Pinstripe might be what you're looking for, or the new Ambassador X heads maybe. As for reso's I always swear by Ambassador Snare-Side heads.

Hope you're well,

Kev

The head you have now is one of the best as far as I am concerned.

What do y'all think of the Remo Black X heads? I'm reading that they are not that durable but man the tone sounds wonderful.

I am kind of a hard hitter.. I think the Evans Reverse Power Center Reverse Dot would be better for durability, but i don't want a dead snare head either!

I'm thinking either an Ambassador X or a Black X

What do y'all think of the Remo Black X heads? I'm reading that they are not that durable but man the tone sounds wonderful.

I am kind of a hard hitter.. I think the Evans Reverse Power Center Reverse Dot would be better for durability, but i don't want a dead snare head either!

I'm thinking either an Ambassador X or a Black X

I use Evans Power Center Reverse Dot heads on most of my snares and they are anything but dead sounding. The other snare head I use is an Evans G1 coated when I know that I'll be doing a lot of brush work, but it also has many other uses besides brushes.

Dennis

I use Evans Power Center Reverse Dot heads on most of my snares and they are anything but dead sounding. The other snare head I use is an Evans G1 coated when I know that I'll be doing a lot of brush work, but it also has many other uses besides brushes.

Dennis

I went ahead and picked up an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I also bought a Hazy 300 reso head too.

I bought a Remo Black Suede Ambassador along with them, thinking perhaps it was the Black X but didn't exactly say "that" on there; but I think I'm going to return it because even though it can be used for snare, I later found out it's more of an all-around head (i have not technically taken it out of the box to try it). Can't wait to get home and pop this new Evans on my snare. I thought I'd be original and try a different brand but perhaps evans is just what I'm going to end up "sticking" with for this snare. I'd like to hear what an Ambassador or Ambassador X sounds like on it though.

Maybe if I get inspired enough I'll post some clips on youtube or soundclick for y'all. Thanks for the suggestions, sitting smiley over here.

I use a coated ambassador on mine, love the sound it produces and highly recommend it :]

I know ambassadors have a reputation for being kinda thin?? But this shows no signs of dying for the moment :] The head isn't thick at all like an emperor x so it puts less strain on the tuning lugs, i'd prefer to replace a broken snare head than the whole snare drum.

It wasn't really a review and didn't make much sense but it may help? xD

George.

I like the idea of a regular head, then if you want to muffle it, add how much you need. Total control over the full range of sounds. You can't add openness to a premuffled head, but you can add muffling to an open head.
I like Coated G2's or Coated Emps for the snare.

Ok, so I think I've officially found the best snare head in the world.

I don't care who you are or if you even play drums, go buy an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head. They're better than hot chocolate at a ski lodge or new tires on your corvette. Just go do it.

I will tell you all I'm very impressed with ATTACK brand heads. I've been using the terry Bozzio signature heads. Nice fat crack, full sound and warm not harsh at all. I also find the coating to be very durable. I am very very please with the sound I get from them. T

AQUARIAN HI ENERGY sounds like exactly the description u gave

I don't care who you are or if you even play drums, go buy an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head. They're better than hot chocolate at a ski lodge or new tires on your corvette. Just go do it.

That's a great line to get absolutely everyone in the world to buy Evans heads.

Yes! Do you have a problem in your life? Are you almost at the big 40? Has your wife left you? If you have replied yes to any of these questions, then you need to go and buy an Evans Power Center Dot head! It will change your life forever!

Aquarian Focus X, I'm using on a Cherry Maple Black Panther (13x6) tuned up tight it has plenty of attack, kinda dry with a little ring (the way I like it).

Late to the party, but I use Coated Ambassadors on everything except my Starclassic 14x6.5 brass snare. On that sucker I have to use the Remo Controlled Sound head to help tame some overtones and keep it fat. Usually tuning can take care of anything else you need (although after playing for 18 years, I still get stumped by a drum every once in a while).

Agreed. I recently bought a Pearl brass free floating snare on eBay and it came with a worn Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I played it a little and decided to put a new Remo Ambassador X and then tuned it up. Within 10 minutes of playing I was took the Remo off and putting the old Evans back on! Then I bought another one for my hammered steel Black Panther and it improved the sound of that about a thousand percent.

I did try a coated Remo reverse dot and found it to have a very dead feel and a blocky sound, especially at mid and mid-low tuning points. I'll be sticking with the Evans, thankyouverymuch!

Back