Truth

Where did you get that information? From your pastor?

http://www.celebatheists.com/index.php?title=Albert_Einstein

Einstein didn't believe in a sky daddy.

"I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

Einstien- Telegram to a Jewish newspaper, 1929; [pg.147, Calaprice]. (Spinoza believed the more one studies and understands the universe the better one understands God)

"Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe - a spirit vastly superior to that of man...In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

[Letter to a child who asked if scientist pray, January 24, 1936; pg. 152 Calaprice]

I'm agnostic btw, since you sort of asked by suggesting I had a pastor..

Last edited:
agreed, truth is relative and obsolete quite honestly. but in order for there to be truth, there has to be non-truth, or a lie. truth is also dependent upon the situation. for example, a buddy of mine asked his father, a well known pastor in our area, this question: if something is 99 cents, and i tell you it is a dollar, am i lieing? his father's response after a few seconds of thought was this: well, if you told me that in an attempt to decieve me it would be a lie, but if it were as intended as honest as an answer as if i asked if you woke up this morning and you said yes which is invariably true the no, it would not be a lie.

my point is that i think truth is a relative term dependant upon the situation.

A lie is when I say I can programme in C. I've spent all day battling at it and I am failing badly.

Max/MSP on the other hand, which is graphical C, is easy.

Well, there certainly are a lot of un-truths, therefore; there must be truth.

Truth is not necessarily a polar opposite. If we accept a theory of 'shades of truth' then there doesn't necessarily even have to be a truth.

most importantly of all, we're FRIGGIN DRUMMERS!! not philosophers. so i'm going back to my par-rum-pum-pum's and my boom-chicka's before all this intelligent thought makes my head explode or even worse, spontaneously combust!

if anyone would like to learn more about "philosophy", i strongy suggest readin about guys like xenophon and julian augustus (NOT Julius). xenophon has a large collection of writings that will make you sit back and go "Hrmm." i'm currently reading a 4 book series on the life of Julius Ceasar and from what i can tell the man was a military genious, not so much a philosopher.

Personally rather fond of my Sartre. Yes, I am an atheist.

truth and lie, right and wrong, good and evil - meaningless words all, there is only perception...

# a fact that has been verified; "at last he knew the truth"; "the truth is that he didn't want to do it"
# conformity to reality or actuality; "they debated the truth of the proposition"; "the situation brought home to us the blunt truth of the military threat"; "he was famous for the truth of his portraits"; "he turned to religion in his search for eternal verities"
# accuracy: the quality of being near to the true value; "he was beginning to doubt the accuracy of his compass"; "the lawyer questioned the truth of my account"
# United States abolitionist and feminist who was freed from slavery and became a leading advocate of the abolition of slavery and for the rights of women (1797-1883)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

If you are really curious you could read something like this.
http://www.powells.com/biblio/0198752504?&PID=31879

Sometimes "truth" is a matter of opinion. Whether or not it is a "fact" as opposed to a "truth" I cannot say.

The truth told with bad intent Beats all the lies you can invent. William Blake

There is no known absolute truth.

And if someone knows, then he or she isnt of this earth.

All truths are relative. There is your truth & my truth.

From the truth of the colonists v/s the truth of the American Indian,

to the truth of scientific experiments v/s the relativity theory,

its all basis so many assumptions that the one thing we can be sure of is thats there's no sure thing here.

Any event, experience, place, person, or thing can be interpreted a myriad different ways.

The definition of truth for me would be that it or an honest expression of an experience or a belief, which at best can only be an interpretation.

So is the statement "All truths are relative" relative? And are you absolutely certain that the statement "there is no absolute truth" is true? Contrary beliefs are possible but are contrary truths possible?

So is the statement "All truths are relative" relative? And are you absolutely certain that the statement "there is no absolute truth" is true? Contrary beliefs are possible but are contrary truths possible?

You my friend, are now delving into the depths of matters that drove Socrates up the wall.

Are truths and beliefs just semantics..interchangeable?..I dont know.

I think so.

I also think all absolute statements have to come with assumptions based on existing beliefs... so therefore yes... everything is relative.

The sharpest I can define Truth for myself is: " what is".
But then the underlying assumption is " according to me".

So are you a physicist?

Contradictory can be seemingly contradictory.

Einstein did end up concluding that only God could have created the universe because it was the most flawless and perfect form possible, and there was no other explanation for it

So what you are saying is that the evidence Einstein stumbled upon pointed to the truth that God exists?

Back