Would you join a band for popularity?

bearblastbeats

A band in a genre I don't listen to ask me to try out for them. Music is easy enough, catchy, and poppy and has a few records out. They have toured and played warped tour and other high profile gigs.

I could have fun playing these songs because they are pretty straight forward but it's not what I would be caught typically playing.

Would you take the gig?

Just ask if you would get more money or if the opportunity opens more doors for more money than you currently earn.

Last edited:
Please note that if you don't like the music you're setting up to play well enough, you'll end up hating things unless you're paid well for your "job" as their drummer.

I have found that if the money is good, and you still hate the music, take the gig anyway. It's a music gig - it's gonna end soon enough. So you won't have to deal with playing music yo hate too long. Just play the game, make like you love the music and get paid while you're playing. That's better than not getting paid, right?

Well, you said you could have fun playing the gigs so, you must be concerned what other people would think of your choice.

You might become more fond of the genre once you learn to appreciate it.

I wasn't fond of the 80's Hair Band genre until I stated playing it with a band. Now I dig it because it's easy and I often get to bang the hell out of the drums.

A band in a genre I don't listen to ask me to try out for them. Music is easy enough, catchy, and poppy and has a few records out. They have toured and played warped tour and other high profile gigs.

I could have fun playing these songs because they are pretty straight forward but it's not what I would be caught typically playing.

Would you take the gig?

I don't see where the "popularity" factors in, but if you're capable of playing the music, and have an opportunity to make some money, then you accept their invitation.

Unless you're one of those guys who thinks you're in a position to pick and choose gigs.

You're not one of them, are you?

Good. Because they don't usually have a future in music.

Now that we're clear... go and try out for the gig!

Bermuda

Would you take the gig?

Could you pay off, or at least make strong headway, on any debt from a mortgage, credit line, or student loans with the income from this gig?

Yea, the theme for the all the responses: If it pays good enough, take it. If you like the music and would have fun, you might want to take it. If it doesn't pay well and you don't like the music, walk.

As someone who has been in bands of wildly varying popularity levels, let me just say this, it is much better to play for a packed house rather to play for 10-15 patrons. BUT...and this is a huge caveat... it needs to be music you either enjoy or don't mind playing.

I was not really a fan of country music, when I was asked to join a band a few years ago. I listened to the songs though, and I really enjoyed what they were doing. So, I gave it a shot and the band played many sold out shows, toured, had radio airplay in the U.S. and Europe. All of those experiences were things I would have missed simply because I didn't want to play a genre I wasn't familiar with.

As someone who has been in bands of wildly varying popularity levels, let me just say this, it is much better to play for a packed house rather to play for 10-15 patrons. BUT...and this is a huge caveat... it needs to be music you either enjoy or don't mind playing.

Well, I don't think in terms of how many people are there. I like being a professional and giving the same 100% regardless of the audience. I did that when people couldn't even see my face. If you're a real player, it shouldn't matter who's out there - you're hired to do the best job you can, not to give a lot when the house is sold out.

Remember the story when The Police hit the #1 spot in English record sales, they were playing to 10 people in Virginia? They played like it was a full house, took the time to actually meet every person there watching, even. Next day, it turns out one of those ten people was a local radio dj and he began to rotate Police music heavily on his show, really helping their exposure. I took a big lesson from that story.

If you want to get your name out there and get more work as a musician than you need to take every gig that comes at you.

Keep in mind that this is coming to you from the biggest whore on the planet who will say yes to just about any gig no matter how big or small.

Well, I don't think in terms of how many people are there. I like being a professional and giving the same 100% regardless of the audience. I did that when people couldn't even see my face. If you're a real player, it shouldn't matter who's out there - you're hired to do the best job you can, not to give a lot when the house is sold out.

Remember the story when The Police hit the #1 spot in English record sales, they were playing to 10 people in Virginia? They played like it was a full house, took the time to actually meet every person there watching, even. Next day, it turns out one of those ten people was a local radio dj and he began to rotate Police music heavily on his show, really helping their exposure. I took a big lesson from that story.

I didn't notice in Chunkaway's post where he said he gave less when he played to 10-15, only that it was better to play to a big crowd. The assumption that he gave less than 100% is yours.

And, to the OP, I would take it if I wanted to play gigs!

I didn't notice in Chunkaway's post where he said he gave less when he played to 10-15, only that it was better to play to a big crowd. The assumption that he gave less than 100% is yours.

And, to the OP, I would take it if I wanted to play gigs!

Sorry. My bad. Accept my apologies. There's just never a time when I look out and think I'm not gonna have as much fun if the place isn't full or not.

If you want to get your name out there and get more work as a musician than you need to take every gig that comes at you.

Keep in mind that this is coming to you from the biggest whore on the planet who will say yes to just about any gig no matter how big or small.

That's how it works. The guys who work the most, are the guy's who'll work the most.

Once you have a reputation for turning down gigs, the calls stop coming.

I take pretty much every gig I'm offered. It's a great way to get yourself out there and eligible for more gigs. Plus, whatever the music, I feel like the worst night of playing music is still pretty damn good. I'd take it if I were you.

Sorry. My bad. Accept my apologies. There's just never a time when I look out and think I'm not gonna have as much fun if the place isn't full or not.

Well, I didn't mean to bust your chops about it; I just didn't interpret the post the same way you did.

For the record, I've played gigs with just a few people in the bar and had a real blast! But I have played gigs with just a few people in the bar that were just excruciating, too, and not just for me, lol. If you've never experienced that, you're a fortunate man. ;)

I don't see that happening in the OP's case, though.

The drummer for falloutboy plays meshuggah in his solos... and he is probably a multimillionaire... what does that tell you?

I certainly would : never miss an opportunity to gig ! The only problem wouldn't be the music style but the guys, if the guys are uncool, that's more a problem to me. It's better to get on well if you do many gigs.

Back